Pitchforks top 500 songs, 1977-2006 (1 Viewer)

I have no idea what my favourite song of 2006 is. Even if I did, I wouldn't claim it was better than anyone else's.

My point is I doubt they genuinely thought that was the best song that was released in 2006. Which I said earlier. As did Unicron in relation to the Katy Perry song.

either way Stylus magazine was a billion times better with witty writers and no hipster crap but it got closed :(

I still follow some of it's writers' individual blogs

My point is I doubt they genuinely thought that was the best song that was released in 2006. Which I said earlier. As did Unicron in relation to the Katy Perry song.

Katy Perry song? Are you trying to be purposely infruriating?

I really don't see your point though, i'd only disagree with pitchfork because I think there's been better pop songs released both years and I really don't think that that Kelly Clarkson song is a 'great' pop song. Possibly they're not including enough pop stuff so that these songs stand out as odd choices. I guess trying to assert yourselves as experts in and authorities on a field you barely cover is a bit arrogant and liable to be somewhat controversial

Katy Perry song? Are you trying to be purposely infruriating?

Unicron said they probably just included the Katy Perry song to infuriate people - ie, a reason other than it being a great song.

I think they rant about JT and the like mostly to appear hipster ironic/cool - ie, a reason other than it being a great song.

In other words, "we care so little about being cool, we're naming JT as number one... and not caring is what makes us REALLY cool".

I'm not sure what there is to miss here. Either way, it's a pretty boring discussion being run into the ground.

Unicron said they probably just included the Katy Perry song to infuriate people - ie, a reason other than it being a great song.

I think they rant about JT and the like mostly to appear hipster ironic/cool - ie, a reason other than it being a great song.

I'm not sure what there is to miss here. Either way, it's a pretty boring discussion being run into the ground.

Unicron was talking about a Kelly Clarkson song

and i'm sorry for boring you. I found the conversation interesting.

It's boring when you repeatedly quote me to seemingly nitpick a pretty clear point I've made. Saying things like "is it not possible to like Girls Aloud unironically in this hipster paradox of yours?" comes across as pretty patronising and unnecessary.

It's Pitchfork.

edit - kelly clarkson. grand.

I like the forkcast section. I download the mp3s and a fair few of them (about 30-50%) are good, which is a pretty good rate. A lot of the reviews are tough going. And inaccurate. They're still saying Bonnie Prince Billy is making good albums. Not true. It slightly pisses me off as people are paying out valuable money based on what they read in pitchfork and other publications and then thinking "this isn't actually that good" and tending to write off new music based on this. There is enough good new music to do accurate reviews. You'd have to be an idiot to buy the Kanya West etc album, even if Jesus came to you in a dream and told you it was good.

I'd take Pitchfork before the music section of the Ticket anyday. God, that is depressingly wide of the mark.

I wasn't nitpicking about the Justin Timberlake thing, I thought maybe there was another article i was missing, or their top songs list (that this thread was started about) had been updated to be in order of how good they were each year. I was seeking clarification.

In regards to kelly clarkson and katy perry I thought you joking that they were essentially the same person.

I thought it was quite necessary to point out that (in how I read it) you were essentially saying that by claiming to not like certain pop music ironically hipsters were reaching a new level of irony and hipsterness or something. You seemed to be ignoring that possibility that maybe they actually do like this music. It came across as a slightly cynical attitude to the whole thing.

Did you read their 2008 round-up? It made me want to ban music. Lisa Hannigan played the almost unanimous 'gig of the year', seemingly.

Yes, they must have hired a mini bus to go up to it.

"Without wishing to come across as a sad sack with a dubious obsessive compulsive disorder, my favourite gig of the year was Lisa Hannigan at Dundalk's Spirit Store. You often see music inhabit the performer, but it's rare that you see the opposite. Guess it was one of those gigs you had to be there to experience, but if music can be a life-changing experience then - for me at least - this was as close as it gets."

I've just wiped a tear away. Maybe it us?

I thought it was quite necessary to point out that (in how I read it) you were essentially saying that by claiming to not like certain pop music ironically hipsters were reaching a new level of irony and hipsterness or something. You seemed to be ignoring that possibility that maybe they actually do like this music. It came across as a slightly cynical attitude to the whole thing.

Nah, that's not what I meant. I like some JT songs. I like the Katy Perry song. Without irony. But I don't think they're amongst the greatest songs of the last few decades.

It just seems like a very conceited effort on the part of Pitchfork to make some kind of statement. As a lot of what they write does.

WHAT.
IS.
YOUR.
POINT?

take your time.

What is yours? People are stupid? They are stupid for making purchases based on reviews? They are stupid for being cynical? All of the above?

That 'take your time' thing is a bit condesending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Ballet
It slightly pisses me off as people are paying out valuable money based on what they read in pitchfork

"Pitchfork is basically cake, but you can't blame them for the above. That's people's own stupidity. "

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back