Family Slang (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter MDR
  • Start date
  • Replies 45
  • Views 6K
  • Watchers 5
For years and years my dad used to say, for no particular reason, "Hello mother, hello father, here i am in camp grenada". It was only when it was in a simpsons episode did i finally know where the hell he got that one from.

Me Da whils't suppin tee: "Grand cupa tae Nora."

I've never figured out who Nora is.

For years and years my dad used to say, for no particular reason, "Hello mother, hello father, here i am in camp grenada". It was only when it was in a simpsons episode did i finally know where the hell he got that one from.
ditto.

'get up the yard the smell of bengy' was another. except it wasnt the simpsons that explained that to me

and when someone is going on and on about something my Ma will go 'oh here we go, byker grove'. or something.

jesus, there's actually loads in my house.

:):)

We had a neighbour who was known by us as The Stick, becuase she had as much personaility as a stick. Poor woman.... We were very mean...

we had one we called AB = abnormal
there were also, variously

Mills and Boons lady - looked like a prossie
St Etienne Lady = looked like Bob Stanley
Morality Woman = holy joe
Banana Hands and Satsuma Eyes = local john of god who was, god love him, hideously deformed

Jesus, me and my mates are evil.

in work i always ask 'making tea?' when they all know i actually mean coffee

My mother calls switzerland, SWIZZERland

aungier st is also known to all my family, friends and associates as, awn-jee-aaaay street, after my mother mistakenly corrected the gas man in 1976, and never lived it down.

Breakfast cereal - 'pop'
Orange Juice - 'ahdu' (more the younger members of the family)
any form of dvd, cd, vinyl or cassette I own - 'tape' (Mothers word)

all I can think of off the top of my head

We called Tea "sweet leaf" after the sabbath song. We'd refer to coffee just by coughing the intro to "sweet leaf". Surprisingly we always seemed to know which beverage we were referring to.

My da always says "holy sufferin' duck!". It's actually only dawning on me as I write that it's rhyming slang.
He calls the TV the "goggle box".

Anytime my dad was going out and I nosily asked where he was going he would say "out with a black lady"..I always wondered why my mam didn't object to this.

Also I used to drive my mam crackers when I was a kid cos I was really annoying (for those of you who know me now I was exactly like modern CPR- noisy/talkative/always up to something) so my mam used to put her hand to her forehead and say "I'm loosing my reason with you" Thus I presumed that your forehead was called yr reason!I was an idiot

I'm just back from my uncle's funeral and wake. People in West Tyrone have a language onto themselves. One guy said, "Francie (my uncle) got off a few stops early but we're all on the same bus".

"Yr as slow as God's horse"
"Am I the black man?"
"Up she flew and the cock bit her"
Not technically family slang but there's few enough times I've heard any of these outside my folks kitchen.

Not family slang, but it occurred to me now so I'll post it here: I like the way middle-aged and upwards Dubs say that someone ownded something, e.g. "CIE ownded those pitches until about 10 year ago".

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back