FoREVER presents NO AGE, Whelan's, Upstairs, May 20 (1 Viewer)

Urchin PR

Website
www.myspace.com
[FONT=&quot]FOREVER presents[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]NO AGE[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Whelan’s, Upstairs, May 20[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Tickets from Road, City Discs, tickets.ie, ticketmaster.ie[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“No Age are one of the most deserving and joyful guitar bands that ever looked to steal away your hearing.”[/FONT][FONT=&quot] –Drowned in Sound

“It's part of No Age's allure that Nouns is so difficult to figure out, that it manages to be so big while coming from a place so small. All you'll know for sure is that you want to listen longer. Maybe forever.”Pitchfork, 9.5

Best Album Cover Designer, Brian Roettinger, for NOUNS (No Age) – Rolling Stone[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Spiritual heirs to both Thurston Moore’s wide-eyed experimentalism and the all-encompassing, stark DIY art-is-life aesthetic of the Crass collective, No Age is the kind of band that inspires its audience without affectation, without cynicism.
Dean Spunt (drummer/vocalist) and Randy Randall’s (guitarist) live shows are an exploration of possibilities: a guitar laid over a resonating drum head, effect loops woven together like beautiful harmonies, pop songs as performance art, a duo that sounds like the gale force of rock history delivered through a wind tunnel.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
The pair’s powerful force, both as a band and individuals has reached such great heights as to inspire The New Yorker and The Los Angeles Times to examine No Age’s position in the underground scene surrounding the Los Angeles all-ages club The Smell (where for the past several years they have each volunteered in various capacities, including booking shows and running the soundboard).

“The music is an invitation and rallying call for individuals to get involved in a community which celebrates art and experimentation,” Randy explains. “It’s DIY on a different scale, an attempt to reacquaint people with the notion that art is a crucial part of everyday life. No Age is more than a band to us. It is an umbrella.” And, under this umbrella, Dean and Randy have curated art shows, designed shirts, hats, bandanas, etc., made videos and ‘zines.

Fittingly, No Age’s Sub Pop debut, Nouns, is equally all-encompassing; from the faux-simplicity of the title to the beautiful distortion of its sound, to the packaging that includes a 68-page full-color book packed with photos and art pieces.

No Age issued a slew of singles on a variety of indie labels in 2007, resulting in the cohesive compendium, Weirdo Rippers on Fat Cat Records later that year. That widely heralded release set the stage for Nouns.

Recorded by Pete Lyman at Infrasonic Sound in LA, Harvey Birrell at Southern Studios in London, and at home by No Age, Nouns opens with a symphony of noise and creeps and smashes through a sonic headlock befitting Daydream Nation-era Sonic Youth, Kiwi pop, power pop, My Bloody Valentine, and experimental noise.

“No Age is a band,” says Dean. “Bands should be fun and exciting and they should push all the buttons at the same time. They should make you feel like you are going to explode and make you utterly confused and inspired at the same time. At least they should.”

www.myspace.com/nonoage[/FONT]

Was gonna go, but after Animal Collective/Man Man/The National/Health...I'm pretty much gigged out and might get sacked if I come into work looking like a zombie again. The album is great, and I saw them earlier this year in the States. Well recommended!

it was a strange gig, i put it down to been a tuesday night a not many people been that up for it. that said i enjoyed it too

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back