Whiskey (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter ron
  • Start date
  • Replies 117
  • Views 11K
  • Watchers 6
I reckon most whisk(e)y drinkers would have respect for both Scotch and Irish.

Exactly. Great whisk(e)y is made in Ireland, Japan, Scotland, America and even Wales! To dismiss one is like saying Budweiser is the only nice tasting beer in the world.

Scotland has more distilleries that historically produced on a small scale, giving more variation in styles and brands. Ireland has always produced whiskey on a larger scale but from fewer distilleries. Both are good, both are also capable of making pure pisswater.

Depends what you mean by historically really, there were fuckloads of distilleries here in the 1800s.

If one was to try and start small distilleries, it'd take a raft of cash up front, you're talking 6 year lead time before you have any acceptable product.

Or something like this (typos all over it, not the best idea if you're looking for people to give you sums on the order of €100k):

http://www.thedinglewhiskeydistillery.ie/images/Dingle-Distillery-Brochure.pdf

HZH009.jpg

COHIBA_Siglo5_Vintage.jpg

"...it's people who've been through what you've been through"

Depends what you mean by historically really, there were fuckloads of distilleries here in the 1800s.

..even as far back as 1886 there were around 5-8 times as many distilleries in Scotland as there were in Ireland. In Alfred Barnard's book he visited around 160 distilleries and certainly less than 25 of them were Irish.

And there's no mass produced muck coming out of Scotland?

absolutely there is!... i'm just being argumentative for the sake of some ridiculous national divide!..

there is of course good and bad whisky from both countries...

i prefer the diversity and raw taste you get from some of the good scottish single malts... but i am no expert... plus it's fun having all these wee distillaries in the middle of nowhere you can go on tours of...

i love the choice you have when drinking scotch. more choice = greater chance of finding something you like. lots of nice irish whiskeys too, but i don't think you can beat the variety of the different scotch whiskys. also, because there's more of them, they're less pricey. at a wedding in ireland last summer i was charged €15 for a 12 yr old powers. at a 5 star hotel in glasgow 3 weeks ago i was trying various different 12, 15 and 18 year old scotchs for £4-6 a go. nice.

i love the choice you have when drinking scotch. more choice = greater chance of finding something you like. lots of nice irish whiskeys too, but i don't think you can beat the variety of the different scotch whiskys. also, because there's more of them, they're less pricey. at a wedding in ireland last summer i was charged €15 for a 12 yr old powers. at a 5 star hotel in glasgow 3 weeks ago i was trying various different 12, 15 and 18 year old scotchs for £4-6 a go. nice.

Then again, you're a Blue Jays fan... Hard to trust your taste in anything.

at a wedding in ireland last summer i was charged €15 for a 12 yr old powers.
i don't think that was as much to do with the range of irish whiskey as much as it was to do with you being a chump/the hotel being money grabbing bastards (delete as appropriate) for paying that much.
i've had midleton in dublin for less.

i think all you lads should meet up and discuss the merits of whiskey while actually drinking it, and once everyone's passed the halfway mark on their bottle a knife is placed in the middle of the table.

pulling an out of context wikipedia note relating to a sole incident 140 years ago is your idea of winning an argument?

i spit on your attempt!

scotland has 100 distilleries... ireland has 4... we do hand crafted perfection... you do mass produced muck...

It wasn't an attempt..Scotland may have more distilleries but one of those distilleries who specialize in hand crafted perfection produce passport!:eek:

I picked up a bottle once while living in France and I can honestly say it is the only bottle of any spirit I have ever emptied into a sink.If you have never tried it you should,then we can argue!!

I like scotch, a lot!Some of my favourite whiskies are scotch and I would say scotland has an overall better approach to making them,but you have to admit ye produce some god awful attempts at whisky!ninjaaaa

So is the worst Irish whiskey tastier than the worst Scotch Whisky or vice versa?

I would say yes the worst Irish whiskey is far better than the worst scotch whisky. I'm throwing that out there because I think scotch is pretty shit to begin with and I want to stir up some shit. I am being a prick. Take that Scotch.

stick to what you do best tape and eggs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back