What gig did you go to last night? (1 Viewer)

tried to go see horse lords last night... the venue was a ten-minute walk from my place, and I thought, whatever, it won’t be sold out, it’s weird skronky music on a tuesday night. dear readers, it was indeed sold out. gahh. and then I saw that the next gig that they have after that one will be in tralee, of all fucking places. have now failed to see horse lords I think maybe three times in a row. next time, I hope.

Saw horse lords on Sunday night in Dublin.
They were fanfuckingtastic

Went for a pint and a chat with a friend. She said she doesn't go to live music much. Not her thing. I said, please wait and watch band No.2. They're really good.
Band 1 came on. She showed a gameful appreciation of it, while I and several others in the crowd were not so impressed.
Both bands one and two play a sort of 60's rock 'n' roll type thing.

So band one finishes, i did a sigh of relief. She says "well, they're up there doing it, and you're not". Which is more than fair.
She then says "They played in tune, in time, on time, they were a coherent unit". Yeah, they fucking didn't and weren't. I expect more from middle aged men with a mortgage worth of instruments around them.

But she held fast, saying I was being too harsh on them.

Then second band came on. 30 seconds into the the second song she went "OK, now I understand".

The gulf between these two ostensibly similar bands was massive.

Anyway, this lad, ridiculously entertaining:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Went to the Johann Johansson & Winged Victory for the Sullen show in the NCH on Saturday. Superb stuff. Hadn't seen AWVFTS since the Sugar Club in 2012, and I wasn't that into the last 2 albums. But they were amazing live.

Was at 2 different events at the weekend.

On friday night we went to a choral show up in the big cathedral here in Kilkenny. The Latvia State Choir were doing a 5 day tour and this was the mid-point. It was fairly mind-blowing stuff. Small enough crowd, mostly older folks (there's a collective of old folks here who call themselves 'Music in Kilkenny', and they put on a lot of classical events - this was them). The choir was 30-40 strong and when they first came out they stood in a circle around the crowd. They performed Arvo Part's 'The Deer's Cry', and it was just something else having the sound come from all sides. Never experienced anything like it before. After that they took a standard enough formation on stage and gave renditions of Estonian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Latgalian, and Finnish (Sami) pieces. Mostly newish pieces, but all excellent.

The Kilkenny Roots Festival was on this weekend too. Only went to one show as I wasn't that arsed about dragging my hole around town from venue to venue to see acts I've never heard of. We left the hurling early on sunday to go and see the Handsome Family in the Set Theatre. 3pm gigs will never not be weird, but it was really nice. The venue was like a sauna so it felt a bit on the long side, but still loved it. Great banter from the pair of them too.

Bruce Springsteen in Kilkenny.

He never disappoints. Great venue and the buzz in town was great. We got a lovely evening too. Not a puff of a breeze so the sound carried very well through the whole stadium.

Sound was really good alright. He's a fantastic showman, but 3.5 hours is too much for someone like me who only knows the hits. The last hour was amazing, but if I had come in 2 hours late I'd probably have enjoyed it more to be honest.

Acid Mothers Temple were quite the racket last night.
Brilliant drummer in particular. The opening freeform noise freakout bit (which was a recurring theme) was enjoyable enough put me off using earplugs I had.
Anyone able to estimate how loud the gig was in decibels? Loud but nowhere near SWANS, MOTORHEAD, MBV levels of 120-130 decibels - which I would scared of.

Sound was really good alright. He's a fantastic showman, but 3.5 hours is too much for someone like me who only knows the hits. The last hour was amazing, but if I had come in 2 hours late I'd probably have enjoyed it more to be honest.
3.5 hours can go fuck itself, anyone going over 2 better have a good fuckin reason and anyone going over 2.5 can get fucked

3.5 hours can go fuck itself, anyone going over 2 better have a good fuckin reason and anyone going over 2.5 can get fucked
in fairness you know what yer getting when you go to one of his gigs. He's kept that formula for years.

135 a ticket he'd kind of want to do a long show.

time flew by for me, though I knew almost all songs.

Andy the Doorbum upstairs in The Hut in Phibsboro tonight - quite overwhelming. Cormorant Tree Oh supporting who were excellent despite a few techy difficulties.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back