What do you really think... (1 Viewer)

12 pages eh? hasn't descended into a ruck is it?

..has anyone mentioned ; "too many smelly longhair/bearded/sandal/trad playing hippies" yet?

As a sort of outsider to the scene in Dublin I actually think besides the obvious difficulties you have in terms of venues you actually have something great going. I've been to a few Lower Deck gigs now and the diverse nature of the people that attend really has impressed me. People from all the scenes seem to come together like punks, crust, metallers, indie etc and enjoy music. This is something I feel thats lacking a lot in Belfast. Theres rarely a diverse audience at gigs. I think diverse line ups are a really good thing though. Will get people from loads of different scenes out. Hopefully...........

i think there are a lot of reallly good bands in ireland for all the size of the punk scene but i think its very hard for irish bands to tour etc. esopecially because of the price of shit in ireland compared to the rest of europe.

.esopecially because of the price of shit in ireland compared to the rest of europe.

yeah, i guess a German band only has to fill the tank with diesel and drive for a few hours to get almost anywhere in Europe. We need to get the ferry, channel tunnel and also spend 2 days travelling without playing gigs possibly.

12 pages eh? hasn't descended into a ruck is it?

..has anyone mentioned ; "too many smelly longhair/bearded/sandal/trad playing hippies" yet?

I fucking hate those stoppy-starty jangley bands though. Saw these hip cats down the Lower Deck last week. They were so bad I had to go and drink cans outside the door instead.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Punk gigs in the early/mid 90's were not the most welcoming of environments neither, especially if you didn't look the part.

Ten years ago the whole fucking city was falling apart when it came to gigs. The Chinaman, Charlies, The White Horse, The Garden of Delight... every decent place was closing down as soon as property developers got wind of the economic upsurge. The Funnel and the Fusion lit up our lives every so briefly before being flushed down the jacks with every other fond memory of ye olde Dublin.

Belfast is doing okay right now, there's a good number of gigs in the sense that we're getting a good number of touring bands playing but we're not having too many gigs that it greatly affects the crowds, and although it's been pretty quiet over the Summer it's starting to pick up a little again I reckon. Belfast will always be quiet over the Summer for the obvious reasons.

One of the big problems I see with Belfast is people doing gigs for bands 'as a favour'.

If a band wanting to tour are shit and will be lucky to get ten people coming along to watch them, then they should be told so up front and the gig shouldn't take place.

Being nice to rubbish touring bands is all very well, but in the end it just wastes a lot of people's time and makes for just another depressing evening.

This also leads to the usual suspects of Belfast bands playing somewhat too often to too few people - at the moment the regular field of support bands playing the punk/hardcore support slots is probably only about fifteen bands, and this is at a time when the whole city seems to be heaving with new bands.

If promoters looked slightly further afield to get in some of the contemporary metal bands (who are actually now playing hardcore) for support slots, then the regular bands wouldn't get so overexposed.

People interested in this idea can ask me for a list of bands I would consider good options for support slots, and are likely to get a few more newer faces down at the DIY-style shows.

One of the big problems I see with Belfast is people doing gigs for bands 'as a favour'.

If a band wanting to tour are shit and will be lucky to get ten people coming along to watch them, then they should be told so up front and the gig shouldn't take place.

Being nice to rubbish touring bands is all very well, but in the end it just wastes a lot of people's time and makes for just another depressing evening.

I think you'll get that everywhere to some extent. Sometimes its about helping out an average band whose members are nice and helpful people as opposed to putting on an amazing band who are just in it for themselves and will never help you out.

This also leads to the usual suspects of Belfast bands playing somewhat too often to too few people - at the moment the regular field of support bands playing the punk/hardcore support slots is probably only about fifteen bands, and this is at a time when the whole city seems to be heaving with new bands.

If promoters looked slightly further afield to get in some of the contemporary metal bands (who are actually now playing hardcore) for support slots, then the regular bands wouldn't get so overexposed.

People interested in this idea can ask me for a list of bands I would consider good options for support slots, and are likely to get a few more newer faces down at the DIY-style shows.

Yeah I agree with that. I try my best to take each gig individually and not to have too many gigs on at the same time, and I try and tell touring bands what to expect in advance. Even then though pretty much every touring band, when you say to them "there'll probably be no-one at the gig" will say it doesn't matter and come and play anyway!

I've thought this has been the case for a stupidly long time myself. Maybe it's something to do with age Mac.

I haven't read through all this thread, that's my disclaimer...

I feel that it's impossible to play music in Ireland beyond "hobby" level...same goes for the UK...if you've got any talent and dedication, it's very easy to get a good band up-and-running in mainland Europe or the U.S.

I think it's heart-breaking to see how people put such effort into their bands over here and no-one gives a shit. Like, no-one expects to make it big, but that's not the point, it's more that it's nice to break even, have labels put your records out and get tour offers in exotic places.

Myself, Damo, Leo and Conor were talking about setting up a drink and drug free festival next summer alright. Just all XXX bands and stuff. All profits are gonna go to the B.E.C.B.F. ( bring Earth Crisis back fund) Should be deadly.;)

too late EC are back already. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back