What do you really think... (1 Viewer)

Exact same thing when i was young and living in macroom in west cork, we'd friends in bands in clonakilty and every few months we'd do a gig in connollys of leap and we'd run a few buses (usualy two 45 seaters) and they'd run a few buses and the bar would serve anyone so we'd have a great night. Then everyone went to college/went doing trades and it all went tits up. Good times though.

Yeah, we had a 'sympathetic' bar-owner too, who didn't care what knid of music was being played in the back bar and would serve anyone who didn't come in on a tricycle. That helped a lot too..when he closed, there was trouble getting another good spot, and we knew we were leaving town at the end of the summer, so the momentum kind of died.

Speaking off that bar, I remember once though Nappyrash were playing and all the Kilkenny punks streamed off the bus into an off-licence where some were refused for being so obviously 16 and then one eejit told the off-licence person the were all going to a gig in Archies (the afore-mentioned bar), so the cops were rung and told there was going to be a load of under-agers at a gig in a bar, and well...lets just say, no bands got paid that night.

Ah....halcyon days,

....halcyon days.

[takes a puff of his worn and yellowing pipe, the wood of the porch creaking as he leans back into his rocking chair, his eyes staring off into some un-discernable location, as if he were somewhere else right now...]

Speaking off that bar, I remember once though Nappyrash were playing and all the Kilkenny punks streamed off the bus into an off-licence where some were refused for being so obviously 16 and then one eejit told the off-licence person the were all going to a gig in Archies (the afore-mentioned bar), so the cops were rung and told there was going to be a load of under-agers at a gig in a bar, and well...lets just say, no bands got paid that night.
We had a gig one night where we invited back a band from ballincollig who brought a gang of pricks who struck up fights all over the place. Anyways, there was a street brawl for ages (no cop shop in leap) so five or ten of us said fuck this and headed for the only other pub in leap which was down at the corner of the street. This was probably 2am in 1998. All of a sudden the lights go out and there's blue flashing lights directly outside and the old woman of about 80 comes out from behind the bar and slowly closes the curtains. "I'm afraid the Gardai Siochana are outside, so we'll have to be a little bit quiet". Haha, good tims *pipe and slippers*

Just to let people know, the events working group for Seomra Spraoi meets Wednesdays at 6 for queries, organising, helping out, etc.

One thing which incessantly prevents Irish bands from progressing in terms of quality and songwriting is the fucking atrocious practise space situation. All too often good bands come up with a decent set, and then practise sporadically, occasionally writing the odd new song, but not really working to progress and hone their skills, thus becoming a great band...

Fuck, I'm gonna be there on Wednesday for this Seomra Spraoi meeting, the possibility of a practise space there is of huge importance to the Dublin scene. I've been in 5 bands in the last year here, only 1 of which has gotten beyond 10 rehearsals...rediculous.

One thing which incessantly prevents Irish bands from progressing in terms of quality and songwriting is the fucking atrocious practise space situation. All too often good bands come up with a decent set, and then practise sporadically, occasionally writing the odd new song, but not really working to progress and hone their skills, thus becoming a great band...

How come non-punk/hardcore bands don't have this problem in Dublin? Or maybe they do, you tell me.

Fuck, I'm gonna be there on Wednesday for this Seomra Spraoi meeting, the possibility of a practise space there is of huge importance to the Dublin scene. I've been in 5 bands in the last year here, only 1 of which has gotten beyond 10 rehearsals...rediculous.

The Seomra Spraoi General meeting is on Thursdays at 7.30, the events (incl. gigs) working group meeting is Wednesdays.

Dunno if they have the same problem or not Mac, I don't know many of them people...although since most bands I'm interested in doing need to play at an extemely high volume, it makes it harder...

I think all bands have the same problem with rehearsal rooms. Playing in rental places like the underground or TBMC is fuck all use either. You are using some shite gear in a shite room and its expensive.
We got a permanent room about 3 years ago and havent looked back. Use all our own gear a couple nights a week and the difference is amazing. you get to know your own gear so well that you get the max out of it.

coke.jpg

The max you say???
I took many tests to get to my max, now I never look back!
pepsi.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back