The Bono Thread (1 Viewer)

Even taken at face value, I always thought the point was that people were too hungry to have time to care about Christmas, not that they were too busy practicing STRANGE VOODOO RELIGIONS

i think the point is that it was massively ignorant and patronising.

Is it?
The Ethiopian famine was horrific, and no one was doing anything about it.
People were dropping dead on the telly and they were telling you about it and then going to the sport.
The song is a plea for attention. Is it patronising to draw a contrast between plenty and famine? Maybe. I guess.
But no one was doing anything. The aid agencies were overwhelmed. It was a pure shitshow.
A lot those comments seem to be saying that people took the song to be about Africa. I don't remember it that way. It was about the Ethiopian famine.

Is it?
The Ethiopian famine was horrific, and no one was doing anything about it.
People were dropping dead on the telly and they were telling you about it and then going to the sport.
The song is a plea for attention. Is it patronising to draw a contrast between plenty and famine? Maybe. I guess.
But no one was doing anything. The aid agencies were overwhelmed. It was a pure shitshow.
A lot those comments seem to be saying that people took the song to be about Africa. I don't remember it that way. It was about the Ethiopian famine.
i'm going to take the word of actual african commentators on this one all the same

"grotesque", "dripping with the "White Man's Burden"", "awful", "paternalistic", "messiah complex", "offensive", "patronising", "white Western saviourism", "perpetuates stereotypes"

"This erases the history of state actions in fostering armed conflict and the deliberate displacement of civilians. The 1984 and 1989 Ethiopia famine relief editions did not recognise this history. The genocide in South Sudan was also absent in the 2004 version to raise money for Darfur. "

The original is/was great; well meaning and innocent and ignorant and patronising all at once. It's an event in the West, not in Africa though.

I have no time for the 2014 version, these are people who should know better.

"grotesque", "dripping with the "White Man's Burden"", "awful", "paternalistic", "messiah complex", "offensive", "patronising", "white Western saviourism", "perpetuates stereotypes"

"This erases the history of state actions in fostering armed conflict and the deliberate displacement of civilians. The 1984 and 1989 Ethiopia famine relief editions did not recognise this history. The genocide in South Sudan was also absent in the 2004 version to raise money for Darfur. "

There seems to be a lot of taking the original to be referring to Africa as a whole, which I don't think anyone at the time took that way. And the only person they ask who was alive at the time is the white guy.
To answer the lady's point, there was a shit ton of commentary at the time about the Ethiopian government's culpability in prosecuting the war with the rebels. It was well-covered.
In fairness, it was probably difficult to put in a pop song.
Does anyone really get a messiah complex from that 1984 recording?

All the songs that have come since have probably been more and more unnecessary. I'm shocked there is one this year. Well, I am and I amn't. They are just celebrity circle jerks at this point, so maybe not surprising at all.
Aid efforts have come a long way in the 21st century, people are better informed. We can give to organisations that target specific needs and problems, and it's a far-improved situation. In 1984 you had a Trocaire box.
That's where I am. If someone wants to say they experienced it differently, well fair enough.

My main problem with the piece is that it asks the question whether Africans know it's Christmas or not, which seems to wilfully miss the point.
This is the third thing I've read this week asking that question. I mean please.
I will scream like Bono if I see one more goddamn thing online questioning Christmas awareness levels in Africa.

My main problem with the piece is that it asks the question whether Africans know it's Christmas or not, which seems to wilfully miss the point.
This is the third thing I've read this week asking that question. I mean please.
I will scream like Bono if I see one more goddamn thing online questioning Christmas awareness levels in Africa.
meanwhile in africa they've been having that fucking song directed at them every decade for 30 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back