so back to college time!!! (1 Viewer)

oh, and also today in college, there was the usual graffitti on my chairy desky thing... 'JJ72' ... 'NIRVANA' '...are shit' ... 'U R GAY' etc... and hidden in among it, in wee writing, 'NERDLINGER'...

Super Dexta said:
blah to not knowing people - there's always someone nice around to talk to.
Can't say I ever found this to be true, I don't know anyone there that isn't connected to the punk ghetto, but then again I always thought myself to be friendly and open whereas others have told me they felt I was stand-offish and intimidating before they got to know me.

As regards to passing, all you have to do is read the course list and you can't fail, do a bit more and you'll get good marks and offered better opportunities as to which courses you can do and studying abroad :)

Do Sociology and English, Sociology is best though.

The guy beside me asks me if I like very song that comes on the radio, then asks if I like variousbands he likes before the next one starts. He stopped for a while today though, because I said I didn't really like Jimmy Hendrix, and that is racist.

jillface said:
Well from my understanding, they had to buy it (or get daddy to!) and pay for it in full at the start of the year. Then give it to their department and pay them to add some sort of UCD thing to it too. I know this as I had a friend who once had to do just that before they decided to quit. They were left with no degree and a laptop that was all UCDed out of it.

By the way, what are you doing in UCD? I presume you're also in Arts. Do Geography -it's amazing.
Or you can just buy one from Dell through UCD and it's all "UCDed up" for you!

p.s. Commerce students get free laptops.......... I think.

Corm said:
Can't say I ever found this to be true, I don't know anyone there that isn't connected to the punk ghetto, but then again I always thought myself to be friendly and open whereas others have told me they felt I was stand-offish and intimidating before they got to know me.
On my first day, some guy just started talking to me in a queue. He hasn't even heard of a punk band but he just started talkin and he's real nice so there ya go! Mostly though, I just hang around with friends from secondary.

Phil said:
I sleep through lunch.
i hide in the toilets for lunch, and turn up at lectures a few minutes late so no-one sees me cowering on my own in the front row while everyone else has a laugh with their buds about luke getting aothnaid in the coyote last night.

I get to hear about the mad time they all had at the student night at the pub around the corner, and listen to four Frames albums back to back (no, really) over the radio thing, while making boxes.

I get to hear of philosophical ideas and research interests. Postgrad foureyes are a million miles from undergrad oompa loompas talking about their mascara and slogan-across-the-arse tracksuit bottoms. And there's no hot birds (sorry, byrds) in the computer science building.

Im in Dun Laoighre too, whoever said that on the first page. First Year Fine Art.......so basically i can to satnd there and be told to 'draw the space around objects' and draw the background but dont draw the background'....we started photography yesterday tho and that was great!

Sean (V.D.) said:
On my first day, some guy just started talking to me in a queue. He hasn't even heard of a punk band but he just started talkin and he's real nice so there ya go! Mostly though, I just hang around with friends from secondary.
Argh, even worse! I'm always meeting fuckers from the schools I was in there, can never remember their fuckin names ("Hey Cormy, how's it goin!"..."eh, alright, how are ya...pal?") and don't really have anything to say to them (except once when I asked a guy why he was a cunt to me in school). It's generally an embarrassment for all involved, except for one friend from boarding school who I used to skate and listen to punk music with.

ah the people on my course are a good enough laugh, there's a mature student from roscommon who's into dischord stuff and a barbie-girl fleetwood mc fan...and a japanese girl who brought sake on the last field trip where we all got bollo and 2 of the lecturers arm-wrestled to settle an argument about whether a certain geological feature was an ediacaran fossil or just a swirl in the rock. there's worse people to drink with....and unlike the punx they always have fags to give me instead of being always looking for them

Does anybody else have those horrible bus journeys when the batteries run out on the their walkman and some D4 princess is talking loudly on the phone behind them? Ive had four so far.

"And then Stevyn and his girlfriend Fuinneog were like "oh come on to Dorans" and I was so not going to go there and.."

*bang*

haha...their always on my bus...or sitting behind me in lectures...or putting on their faces in the bathrooms. its so annoying.

i wanted to to geography...i really did. but i figured if i did 3 subjects that do essentially the same thing, im not really going to go far astray. so i did archaeology, greek and roman and history and am, as ash has taken to pointing out almost hourly, essentially living in the past.

i find other people from down the country easier to talk to. probobly coz their far far away from home and as alone in the swarm of people as i find myself. ucd is a big place.

Corm said:
Can't say I ever found this to be true, I don't know anyone there that isn't connected to the punk ghetto
in fairness it has taken me till third year to be all blase about it. i guess doing subjects that have small classes (linguistics, people! do linguistics. and maths studies) does help you get to know non-punk people. some of whom are actually pretty nice.

anyway, er, if people are around ucd and have no-one to talk to, erm, i'm around, and i'm nice. sometimes, anyway.
(i'm on a big "helping people settle into the occasionally difficult place that ucd can be" buzz this last while)
(does that sound patronising enough?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back