RTE film reviewers - Dirty Plagiarisers! (2 Viewers)

I finally saw Step Brothers last night, and like any Will Ferrell fan will agree, laughed until I nearly choked on popcorn, but more to the point, apart from checking the rating a film gets, I rarely read reviews fully before seeing the movie (to avoid spoilers).

So I land onto Empire today, read their full review and then to RTE.ie for same. THe reviewer, Taragh Loughrey-Grant completely ripped her review off from Empire! Paraphrased the whole thing, and then got lazier still and basically quoted the last paragraph word for word...

Check out Empire's

But when McKay focuses on the pure simplicity of the pair getting stupidly excited over tree houses, Chewbacca masks and samurai swords, Step Brothers is a hugely entertaining exercise in the comedy of the random, complete with improvised non-sequiturs, bonkers one-liners ("Your voice is a combination of Fergie and Jesus"), and a triumphant climactic sequence featuring a montage that’s actually funny.

and hers...

When McKay focuses on the pure simplicity of the pair getting stupidly excited over tree houses, Chewbacca masks and Samurai swords, 'Step Brothers' is a hugely entertaining testimony to the talent of Ferrell and Reilly and their improvisational skills, climaxing in a hilarious montage well worth staying in your seat for.

Is this what I (occasionally) pay my licence for?? :confused: Bring back Mailbag, I want to complain!

Shoddy though, shame on you Taragh :p

deffo a case of press release cut and paste laziness on both their parts
Exactly.
Empire is a really shit magazine. It's just press releases dressed up to look like critical reviews.

Anyway, Tarragh is a very nice person and good mum to her kid.

any harry knowles fans here? i love this guy!

GRINDzoeHarry.jpg

you know he was crushed by a trolley full of movie merchandise at a science fiction converntion?! crippled the poor guy

Taragh Loughrey-Grant

Possibly the least-qualified film reviewer ever. I don't think she has any understanding of cinema whatsoever. According to her, the film which brought Dustin Hoffman acclaim and fame was Rain Man.

Oh and as for her saying nobody's complained about her "work" before, I wrote to Channel 6 (or whoever has her reviewing films) about this.

Plagiarism is no more a sin of journalism than being a semi-literate egomaniacal dickwad. Bearing this in mind, nearly every cultural writer in this country, with a few notable exceptions, should have their own dedicated thread.

Plagiarism is no more a sin of journalism than being a semi-literate egomaniacal dickwad. Bearing this in mind, nearly every cultural writer in this country, with a few notable exceptions, should have their own dedicated thread.

Jesus, she has a lot of friends.

And yes it is.

Jesus, she has a lot of friends.

And yes it is.

Im not her friend. I just dont think that one fucking plagiarised film review warrants this much discussion. And no it's not. Both mean that the journalist has completely failed to do their job. At least if the plagiariser nicks quality work then they've not contributed to the cess pool of ego driven garbage that often constitutes credible critical journalism.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back