MCD vs Boards.ie (1 Viewer)

Re: Boards.ie is being sued by MCD...

questions:
1 - do boards not have a disclaimer freeing them from any liability of what people post on their site?

internet disclaimers = not worth the paper they're printed on, apparently

2 - would boards decision to delete the posts / stop any further mention of mcd be considered an adequate enough response?

you'd think that would be considered "reasonable", wouldn't you?

anyway, yer all talking in certainties...this interent shit is a big grey area, no? examples of cases in ireland...?

there are none.

questions:
1 - do boards not have a disclaimer freeing them from any liability of what people post on their site?

I don't think that really stands though if they do. aparently some english radio show were sued by some politician after a random caller made allegations that he was having an affair. and he won.

They must be experiencing some serious shit if the front page of their most-visited site is a sour defence of their shitty festival. That (and the lawyerly antics) means they're feeling vulnerable. The old adage stands - don't believe something until it's been officially denied.

I was more making the point that when you read this

10. To date MCD can confirm we have received 76 complaints from the 80,000 fans attended OXEGEN representing less than 0.1% of the total attendance, an excellent result by any company's standard.

you have to sort of say 'fair enough'

I still believe they are being far to heavy handed with the legal guff

i'm wondering, pete - have you deleted any past threads over the years about MCD? as i recall, im sure people have referred to them as pricks, wankers, etc before. would you have to delete them as a safety precaution? does that stuff count as being defamatory too? i dont know. just curious.

ha ha ha ha ha ha.
concert promoter sues internet board then changes mind because internet is too busy fighting with itself to pose any real threat.
Mormon Nailer - you speak good words.
Bernard, if you scratch an insect bite, there's a risk of infection. if you ignore it, it goes away unnoticed.
unbelieveable.

i'm wondering, pete - have you deleted any past threads over the years about MCD? as i recall, im sure people have referred to them as pricks, wankers, etc before. would you have to delete them as a safety precaution? does that stuff count as being defamatory too? i dont know. just curious.

can a company sue for being called wankers or a pricks? fucking infantile if they can.

I was more making the point that when you read this

you have to sort of say 'fair enough'

But if that was the full story, they'd have no reason to do the whole legal-freakout stuff. Why are they doing all this? I'm presuming it's because there's no smoke without fire, rather than to protect their reputation. Thumped and other boards have been dragging their reputation through the mud for years, but they're only giving a shit now.

can a company sue for being called wankers or a pricks? fucking infantile if they can.

that' what im wondering. im sure ordinarily they wouldnt bother, but because proceedings are underway im curious as to whether that kind of stuff would actually happen.

I think that's OK. Defamation comes into play when something is said that could cause serious damage to a person's or company's reputation or loss of earnings. Basically, if you're average audience reads something like "MCD are pricks", it's an opinion and not anything serious enough to cause substantial damage to reputation. But if you say "MCD are pricks because they [insert very rude, untrue but possibly true when read by morons comment here]", then you're in trouble.

Also, it's more dangerous to libel individuals. Much more difficult to libel companies. What I mean is, it's easier to get away with libelling companies than it is individuals.

I was more making the point that when you read this you have to sort of say 'fair enough'

True enough but how many would actually complain if there was trouble.

What will happen now is that the sexual assault which would have been of minor interest normally will now be reported on by all of the media.

How willing will parents be to let their dughters go next year after that has been covered to death over the next few months.

The same press release could have been put up on boards weeks ago and would have done MCD far more good.

I think that's OK. Defamation comes into play when something is said that could cause serious damage to a person's or company's reputation or loss of earnings. Basically, if you're average audience reads something like "MCD are pricks", it's an opinion and not anything serious enough to cause substantial damage to reputation. But if you say "MCD are pricks because they [insert very rude, untrue but possibly true when read by morons comment here]", then you're in trouble.

Also, it's more dangerous to libel individuals. Much more difficult to libel companies. What I mean is, it's easier to get away with libelling companies than it is individuals.

But isn't it that a corporation is treated as a person under the law? Or am I watching too many movies?

can a company sue for being called wankers or a pricks?

Surely the very act of suing would prove that they ARE pricks, and therefore defeat their own case?!

I checked out the oxegen.ie site, and had my wee moment of rebellion by clicking on the 'no chance' option of the 'will you come back next year' poll. 20% and counting!

As for the only 79 complaints bit, of course they didn't complain, it's a festival for apres leaving cert kids and muso types, they wouldn't complain if the angel of death swooped down mid festival wearing an MCD t-shirt and publicly slaughtered anyone with a pair of doc martens. They're not a bunch of pensioners from Tunbridge Wells for fuxache.

Jane said:
But isn't it that a corporation is treated as a person under the law? Or am I watching too many movies?
Aye, proberly. I was getting some legal advice for something else more recently that involved making some possible serious allegations about Irish companies that rape Africa of its resources. Still very dangerous, but better not to mention individuals.

2 - would boards decision to delete the posts / stop any further mention of mcd be considered an adequate enough response?

Seems they have to say "sorry dude" as well.

From Sunday's Sunday Times:

Last month, solicitors acting for it wrote to boards.ie complaining that a post was defamatory and requesting its removal. The site then banned all discussion connected to MCD events, bands and venues. It has since lifted the ban in part, but discussion of the Oxegen festival is still not allowed.
MCD also requested an apology, which boards.ie has so far refused to give. As a result, MCD has told The Sunday Times that legal proceedings have been issued.

What a load od old cock.

Seems they have to say "sorry dude" as well.

From Sunday's Sunday Times:

What a load od old cock.

But that's because an apology is an admission of guilt.

I actually think the fact that boards is willing to go to court over this may be potentially positive. It's really dodgy, but in fact, while the deletion of threads and the gag order on the website are creepy, that may not reflect what's really going on.

no and no, i hope.

But that's because an apology is an admission of guilt.

I actually think the fact that boards is willing to go to court over this may be potentially positive. It's really dodgy, but in fact, while the deletion of threads and the gag order on the website are creepy, that may not reflect what's really going on.

Oh I agree Jane, I just think its a load of old cock that MCD are demanding an apology from a non-profit message board. Short of them pre-moderating every post or employing full time mods it would be impossible to stop dodgy posts going up, the best you can do is act after the event.

Bit like oxegen.ie I suppose...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back