Looking for info on old Irish goth bands and clubs (1 Viewer)

jack nance hair said:
Now that brings me back! Thee Sanctuary started out as a Wednesday night club in 1990 upstairs in Branskeys:eek: at the Westside shopping centre. While all other 'indie' clubs in Galway at the time served up the usual fare of student bagginess (and the obligitory Voilent Femmes song which, by law, all clubs in Galway had to play at the time), thee sanctuary played its fair share of goth along with yr smiths/cure/pixies/d.jr set. Unfortunately, it was a bit constrained by the oprganisers limited record collections, so the playlist didn't change much week on week.

The best part about it though was the fact that they had these crazy drinks promotions there - they generally sold tinnies behind the bar, and they'd have things like 2-for-1 promotions, making it much cheaper to drink there than to go to the offy. As a result the regular 20-30 people that attended were always extremely wasted by the end of the night (and not a pint of snakebite in sight), so everybody ended up in a mass of bodies on the dance floor.

I left Galway in '91 so wasn't aware that they went on to bigger things. Although for Christmas (I think) they had a one off night in some hole in Salthill (probably Twiggs2 at the time actually). My only memories of this involve way too much dry ice and a hooded figure getting people to bow at the three pronged crucifix thing he was carrying around.

good times! (but sorry, no flyers/pictures!)

Excllent, this is the stuff I'm looking for. Even a short bio of the clubs is good. A flyer and pics would be the icing on the cake though.

Galway had the excellent Toasted Heretic and the Stunning though both can't be classed as goth but the TH can be classed Smiths-ish. I used to love both of them..

Btw weren't ye goth types called Pookies in Galway? I have a source who said we were!

Anyone here from Dundalk? Cork is also very quiet as is Waterford... come on people..

Also I got told of a band called Drowning Kristiania. Anyone ever here of these? Apparently they played a gig in the Baggot Inn way back and my friend reckons that they were goth/rock/metal ish sounding. She thought they were from Mullingar but can't be sure..

aurnia said:
Well I wasn't here, so wouldn't know what you said. It was brill to see them back together again. Lisa's voice is just so amazing, I nearly cried during Sanvean yet again. And Brendan was top on form with Black Sun (one of my fav's) and Ubiquitous Mr Lovegrove. I'm awaiting for my live cd. I had brill seat, front row upstairs (got up at 9am the day they were released to get them)

aye, i had seats in the same place. it was very good, i will say.

The DNDC label is licensed to World Serpent.

Serpent are long dead now though. I remember Elijah's Mantle being on their distribution. I might have something by them, will let you know if i do.

nlgbbbblth said:
ah now, I hail from New Ross.
I only moved to Newbridge in 2003. Used live in Dublin for years before that.

Btw just realised I know a few other oldies from New Ross. Do you know Sean Moore? He's a mad Curehead type that's still knocking around. And also Elizabeth Jefford? She's a mad metal type but also drops into the club as her boi is from Dublin.

Brian Conniffe said:
aye, i had seats in the same place. it was very good, i will say. Serpent are long dead now though. I remember Elijah's Mantle being on their distribution. I might have something by them, will let you know if i do.

We must have been sitting near or you were near my friends then! I was up on the right hand side facing the stage.

Of Serpent, that I do know that they are gone. Sad.

I've three albums by EM - Remedies In Heresis, Psalms From Invocations and Poets and Visionaries, but there's not a lot of info on the cd sleeves other than Mark St.John Ellis, Bruno Breathnach, James Quinn, Martin Quinn with a Conor O'Reilly and Rhett Bremmer on vocals and recorded either in Quivvey Church or in Kells.

I gather everyone or at least the majority are Irish. I think there was also another DNDC realise with Oyzmandias who if I'm not mistaken is Swiss. I've Swiss friends and I got taped a song years and years ago.

Oh and lads.

I forgot about a band. Does the name Damerlict mean anything to anyone?
I'm not sure if they are Irish or not, but I do know it was a goff band.
I had the name written into a diary circa '92 but I don't know why I did.

Here's a few more blast from the past.

Does anyone remember John Paul de Fall (ex Fibbers dj and from Bastard Sons of Boris Karloff) had a goth/industrial radio show on Sundays in (?)1998? What was the radio station and any info on the band? I got told this by a friend of mine.

The same friend was also in The Subterraneans who aren't goth but dark and as well as Fatima Mansions as she reckons "Cathal Coughlan was a dark enough character - Jeez, he recorded summat with Juno Reactor" the legendary indus band.

She also found this on Bouquet Of Blue Roses
http://www.bullymag.com/4.27.03/mail-042703.asp

"Great article on U2, they're nothing but parasites feeding off the poor and needy to sell records and "MAKE THEMSELVES RICHER"...DISGUSTING. But hey what can you expect from a bunch of plagarists, yes U2 fans everywhere save some of the disgust you feel for Bully Magazine (for writing the TRUTH) for your idols, whose album the Joshua Tree was stolen from a band called Bouquet of Blue Roses - don't believe me it was documented in Q Magazine, the New York Times and Post (if memory serves me right) to name but a few back in the late 80's: Shock horror, U2 are "SAINTS", such God fearing Christians, they'd never steal...well remember this "there's no smoke without fire".

Good I couldn't resist that!

Suzie W - a U2 fan "NOT"
My friend reckoned that the bassist's name was James Burke (well he claimed to have been the bassist) and that he was a very good artist.

I know this site which mentions them as I know Donnacha
www.sortedmagazine.com/archive/magazine/features/rock.htm

This this ring any bells for anyone?

portrid said:
One of the Jeffs you mention (the Cathy one) is me cuz. Deadly buz!

Meant to add, your cousin Jeff was at my club - the original Badlands, the one in McGonagles - so there ya go!

It is indeed a small world.

I haven't heard back from Mark Redmond yet, so please do get in touch with Jeff for me.

Oh and last post for tonight, lest ye all think that I don't have a life - not a lot these days, working and doing a postgrad is the pits and seeing as it's my night in off the decks, I'm watching Ryan Tubidity and I just got reminded of something..

But what was Hector's (as in the mad red head on RTE etc) goff band in Navan called? Something X was it?? I read an article about a year or so ago and it mentioned that he was in a band many years ago and he's about the same age as me - 33.

aurnia said:
Btw just realised I know a few other oldies from New Ross. Do you know Sean Moore? He's a mad Curehead type that's still knocking around. And also Elizabeth Jefford? She's a mad metal type but also drops into the club as her boi is from Dublin.

yes, went to school with Sean, know him well. We went with a bunch of others to The Cure in the RDS back in 1989. Best gig ever. Last time I saw him was about 18 months ago. EJ - I think I have heard of her but don't know her.

nlgbbbblth said:
yes, went to school with Sean, know him well. We went with a bunch of others to The Cure in the RDS back in 1989. Best gig ever. Last time I saw him was about 18 months ago. EJ - I think I have heard of her but don't know her.

Ah the Cure gig I couldn't go to. Sean was all dressed up for Oxegen last year, it was funny! Don't have a pic though, but I think I know someone who does. I think the last time Sean was around Chrimbo. Liz is good fun.

Anyhow don't suppose you found any pics for me over past bands and clubs? Did anyone??

Ye will get credited for it.. trust me. Btw if ye want to see any pics I took for the Tower gigs see http://towerpromotions.gothic.ie/towerpromotions/gallery.html. Photos are from Red Sky Coven, Disciples Of The Watch (featuring Marc McCourt ex Nosferatu), Faith And The Muse, Festival, Vendemmian, Nosferatu, London After Midnight, Return To Khaf'ji, Sunshine Blind, Inkubus Sukkbus, New Model Army.
I've loads more to give Eric.

Also I've pics that I took of gigs for Dominion which are going up on the website soon and also David J and various other gigs.

Anyhow what I'm trying to do, is what Eric has done, with flyers and pics if possible.

As I was saying help would be appreciated and ye will defo get credit.
Ta

Still haven't heard from anyone in Cork, Waterford, Dundalk, Drogheda, Limerick. Either people are shy or nobody here is from there, which is a pity.

Orla

P.S if ye want know what I look like, take a peek at the Dom website! :0)

aurnia said:
I had heard that Waterford was also a dark city but alas even friends getting info for me has been scanty. The one person we know down there is more into industrial and Dominion was at one point to go on tour down there. Perhaps this summer if logistics can be worked out.

I used to spend every summer in Waterford, visiting family.
As the years went by, it seemed to get more "happening", or maybe I just got better
at finding things. There was always a strong biker presence there, and lots of students.

One of the most impressive Whipping Boy gigs I ever saw was in Waterford
(Back Of The Mansion, I think), with Fearghal yelling abuse at the crowd, and
threatening to throw a half-empty pint glass at them.

I don't remember any clubs there though.

The only goths I ever knew who had a band were Grufty of mid 90s, Limerick, only-played-one-gig fame. Their website is long-dead. I'm still friends with two of 'em if you want to get in contact with them for details?

frona said:
The only goths I ever knew who had a band were Grufty of mid 90s, Limerick, only-played-one-gig fame. Their website is long-dead. I'm still friends with two of 'em if you want to get in contact with them for details?

Through someone else, I was in touch with Katie some years ago when I kind of started the research. I'm not sure if she's still on email, but I'll try and email her tomorrow with the address I have from then.
She gave me a brief bio, but didn't tell me the full names of the band, track lists of demo's or if she had pics etc. If you have her email addy or if you know one of the others that would be great.

They are the only band I know to come from Limerick but that seems a bit strange to me, in that surely as there was/is a scene, abit small perhaps and that would have inspired musicans to get together

aurnia said:
They are the only band I know to come from Limerick but that seems a bit strange to me, in that surely as there was/is a scene, abit small perhaps and that would have inspired musicans to get together
Oh, it's "was" I assure you. There have been a few attempts to start something up with various friends doing goth zines and clubs but that was all years ago. There's nowt of that nature going on in Limerick now. Mores the pity.:rolleyes:

aurnia said:
Come on, don't tell me people didn't bring a camera to gigs?

I have some photos of The Mission and Red Lorry Yellow Lorry in the Olympic Ballroom somewhere :)

frona said:
Oh, it's "was" I assure you. There have been a few attempts to start something up with various friends doing goth zines and clubs but that was all years ago. There's nowt of that nature going on in Limerick now. Mores the pity.:rolleyes:

That's sad. I know Bryan Phelan down there, and met a good few others when they came up to Dublin to go clubbing on a few occasions a few years ago. Mad bunch ye Limerick people.. Especially Gary and his mates, lets just say there was Absinthe involved..

aoboa said:
I have some photos of The Mission and Red Lorry Yellow Lorry in the Olympic Ballroom somewhere

Oooooohhhh, I'm so jealous. I'd love to have seen the Lorries.. Aghr.. and I couldn't go to their recent reunion gig in London.

I was at the Mish gig in the SFX in '90, and didn't bring a camera and I'm so annoyed at myself as I had perfect views.

Did anyone see that interview of Wayne Hussey on the night of that gig fromTV Ga Ga? I was in the process of getting ready for the gig and had to stop to watch it. If I remember correctly Wayne had a red shirt on it, pretty much like that one that he wore in the Butterfly In A Wheel vid.
Ah memories. I'd nearly kill to get a copy of that now. Actually come to mention it, didn't he wear the same shirt at the gig? Must have been all that Blue Nun, that he consumed, that he didn't want to change.
I do have them on vid tape from a gig they did in the UK a few days after that..

I couldn't go to their gig (or rather Wayne's) in '02 as I was out of the country at the time, but without Crag and in particular Simon, well it wasn't the same Mish.. :)

Ah go on, I'd love to have a copy, of the pics!! If you have pics from '90, that'd be brill.

I have a tape bootleg of the gig, that I can tape for you. I also bought Aura their last album and it's very Sisters-ish don't you think?

Play F&L& A and Evangeline back to back and you'll see what I mean. Do that in a club environment and it wrecks heads! We use to do that! :)

I'll take a look for the photos and scan them for you.
I think that gig was 1987, not sure though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back