Looking for info on old Irish goth bands and clubs (1 Viewer)

nlgbbbblth said:
spooky
Brendan aka Benny is a good friend of mine. Have known him for over 20 years. He lives in Kildare town now. I still see him every few weeks. I was in UCD that era too, 92-95 Arts, the works.

Heh!

Small small world. My ex Stuart Brennan, the guy that I organised the clubs with (or rather I did, and he took the credit) was a mate of his and in the same class group in first year and sat together. We were all in Applied Science in '90 and I did chemistry where as Stu did physics. I think Benny left either that year or the next. Stu's still into the music and goes clubbing every so often - he's not to fond of the new stuff, ie future pop and ebm though. He lost contact with Benny a few years ago and infact I think thought something had happened. Won't go into it here.

If you were in UCD, then you might remember the posters, as I got a friend to post them up there! The artwork for the first one was Stu's department, so I plead innocence on that where as I did the legwork and organising the dj's, music, funding etc.

If I see Stu next weekend, I'll let him know. He's another that I've to pump for info, which will be a feat as we don't really mix in the same circles anymore.

aurnia said:
Heh!

Small small world. My ex Stuart Brennan, the guy that I organised the clubs with (or rather I did, and he took the credit) was a mate of his and in the same class group in first year and sat together. We were all in Applied Science in '90 and I did chemistry where as Stu did physics. I think Benny left either that year or the next. Stu's still into the music and goes clubbing every so often - he's not to fond of the new stuff, ie future pop and ebm though. He lost contact with Benny a few years ago and infact I think thought something had happened. Won't go into it here.

If you were in UCD, then you might remember the posters, as I got a friend to post them up there! The artwork for the first one was Stu's department, so I plead innocence on that where as I did the legwork and organising the dj's, music, funding etc.

If I see Stu next weekend, I'll let him know. He's another that I've to pump for info, which will be a feat as we don't really mix in the same circles anymore.

ah - the Kevin St college stint?

I remember when Benny was going there. I still hadn't moved to Dublin at that point so I used get him to buy records for me and bring them home for the weekend.

I remember a friend of his called Stuart. Met him once or twice although he probably wouldn't remember me. He wore black, was possibly from Roscommon (or maybe not) and was a massive Sisters of Mercy fan. Where other people waited for Some Girls Wander By Mistake he had all the early 12"s like The Damage Done, The Body Electric, Alice, Anaconda etc. I presume we're talking about the same guy.

i presume you are only interested in goth nights that were on in dublin?!ninjaaaa

i can recall 2 that were on in galway.... a club called "atmosphere" that ran for a while in 93 in trends niteklub and before that 91-93 there was a club called "thee sanctuary" in setanta's...i think therapy played there around babyteeth time...

and of course not forgetting galways greatest goth band, The Craving.

nlgbbbblth said:
yep - tis on the 12" of Burns My Skin.

I taped their last gig in The New Inn (with permission) and they did a brilliant version of
Shot By Both Sides at that.
I must clean it up and MP3 it. (with permission, if I can get it. I still bump into Jimmy sometimes)
No point in letting the recordings just sit there, if they can be listened to by interested parties.

They're mono audience recordings - they were good enough at the time, but not much
in quality terms compared to what can be legally downloaded in .flac format these days.

aurnia said:
That was the Daniel Ash poster (at least I'm nearly 100% it was a poster) circa Love And Rockets which was framed, and it was placed on the wall beside the bar, on the right hand side, up near the toilets.

You didn't go to the Bauhaus re-union gig in '98 did you? I was at both gigs in the Brixton academy. Plus did anyone go to the David J gigs a few years back? He played a secret gig in the Temple Pub Dorset St and also in Club Mono, which is now the Village.

Orla

There was defo an L&R thing as well. From their '89 album. Eponymous, if you will.

I went to the 2nd New York Bauhaus gig, some of which ended up on the dvd. Top 5 gig of all timez.

One of the Jeffs you mention (the Cathy one) is me cuz. Deadly buz!

Can we all talk about Alien Sex Fiend now? I've waited years to say that

nlgbbbblth said:
ah - the Kevin St college stint?

I remember when Benny was going there. I still hadn't moved to Dublin at that point so I used get him to buy records for me and bring them home for the weekend.

I remember a friend of his called Stuart. Met him once or twice although he probably wouldn't remember me. He wore black, was possibly from Roscommon (or maybe not) and was a massive Sisters of Mercy fan. Where other people waited for Some Girls Wander By Mistake he had all the early 12"s like The Damage Done, The Body Electric, Alice, Anaconda etc. I presume we're talking about the same guy.

Yep that's him! He's from Elphin in Roscommon! A farmer! Gosh it's mad talking of my ex cause for awhile we didn't get on. He's still the mad goth type. Was mad into Rosetta Stone - he earned a nickname from my friends (who I met them out of the clubs we ran) as Godspeed. He's mad into Death In June stuff now and is bitching at me because I got U2 tickets for both gigs! Har! He's not on email or connected to pc's as far as I know but then I could be wrong. He finished the physics, did a stint in UCD doing archaeology (I think) and is now doing theology or something like that in St Pat's.

His brother Anthony was also a goff type but not in dress scene. Anthony is into Coil, Joy Division, Wire and a couple of other types as I run into him at gigs.

And a wee bit of trivia here - Anthony was one of the first people that heard of Jack L - he gave money to set up 28 SCR label and for Serious Women - Jack L's band before the Black Romantics.

But back to Benny, I remember him skipping physics classes early on a Fri aft, so that he could go home with his vinyl purchases. He was never without a Freebirds or Borderline shopping bag. Tell him that someone remembers him!!!

Btw speaking of Coil was anyone here other than Dec (McGonagles) and myself at the gig? I don't think I can make Thighpaulsandra

spectraljanitor said:
i presume you are only interested in goth nights that were on in dublin?!ninjaaaa

i can recall 2 that were on in galway.... a club called "atmosphere" that ran for a while in 93 in trends niteklub and before that 91-93 there was a club called "thee sanctuary" in setanta's...i think therapy played there around babyteeth time...

and of course not forgetting galways greatest goth band, The Craving.

Excellent.

It is indeed an all over Ireland thing I'm doing, with the help of a few friends.

Do you have any flyers from that era? I hadn't heard of the clubs or even the band.

I was thinking there had to be a goth scene or whatever you want to call it in Galway. There must have been one in any college town or at least in the cities. I believe Cork was a thumping city for Industrial but alas no info other than the Sisters and a few other gigs in Sir Henry's.

Is anyone here from Cork? Waterford? Limerick? Belfast? Drogheda? Derry? I know a few people from Belfast, Limerick and Derry but they don't really know what was happening in the 80's and early 90's. In Belfast there was In Dust but I don't have a lot of info on these. Also Return to Khaf'ji with Mark the singer leaving to go into Nosferatu and Rod taking over the vocals. Mark's now in an indie band up there - http://www.languageofflowers.org/. In Limerick the only club I heard about was Thermites (like our Fibbers) and a Purgarory but that latter clubs was in the last few years and didn't last too long. There was a band called Grufty circa '96-98ish but they only gigged a few venues. Not sure if they did a demo.

I had heard that Waterford was also a dark city but alas even friends getting info for me has been scanty. The one person we know down there is more into industrial and Dominion was at one point to go on tour down there. Perhaps this summer if logistics can be worked out.

I've been asked today why don't I do a book on it and give Mick Mercer http://www.mickmercer.com/ a run for his money. To be honest that wasn't my plan as it was originally an article which turned into an email, which is turning into a whole website dedicated to forgotten times with a link to the happening stuff but look it's a wait and see. I've a website domain in mind and which exists

Anyhow the more info we get the better and I do appreciate any help. Doing something like this is not going to be an easy task as I'm fully aware.

portrid said:
There was defo an L&R thing as well. From their '89 album. Eponymous, if you will.

I went to the 2nd New York Bauhaus gig, some of which ended up on the dvd. Top 5 gig of all timez.

One of the Jeffs you mention (the Cathy one) is me cuz. Deadly buz!

Can we all talk about Alien Sex Fiend now? I've waited years to say that

Was there another L&R thing? I thought it was just the David Ash poster but in his L&R days.

The Bauhaus gigs were one of the best gigs I went to too. I haven't bought the dvd yet.. hmm... Amazon.com is calling to me.. no resist.. wait until next month and my flexible friend will be healthier!

Cool that one of the Jeff's is your cousin! Can you get into touch with him and pump for info for me? He must know of other stuff goings on.

Eh ASF ain't Irish and this thread is to be Irish only! No going off topic allowed!:p

Btw guys and girls

Meant to say, if you do have any pics or scans of demo's, vinyl releases, fliers, gigs, concert tickets (ah why not, why do the concert tickets for the gigs) or any info ye all want to send me to my normal email address ye can private message me and I'll give ya the addy.

Orla

Into Paradise were an amazing band. Well worth checking out their stuff if its still available ... no idea if it is.

I remember seeing Guernica quite a bit and whereas I can see some sort of link between Into Paradise and the goth thing (early-80s/Joy Division buzz) I dont really see it with Guernica. They were much more your indie-REM jangly guitar type thing. Good band though.

Jam Jar Jail were a pretty fantastic (yes Pete they were). I have fond memories of seeing Chane setting fire to a punters jacket in the Rock Garden and then playing a "guitar solo" while hanging upside down by his feet from the metal rafter things on the roof above the stage ....

Good luck with the research ... I have nothing really constructive or useful to add however.

hugh said:
Into Paradise were an amazing band. Well worth checking out their stuff if its still available ... no idea if it is.

I remember seeing Guernica quite a bit and whereas I can see some sort of link between Into Paradise and the goth thing (early-80s/Joy Division buzz) I dont really see it with Guernica. They were much more your indie-REM jangly guitar type thing. Good band though.

Jam Jar Jail were a pretty fantastic (yes Pete they were). I have fond memories of seeing Chane setting fire to a punters jacket in the Rock Garden and then playing a "guitar solo" while hanging upside down by his feet from the metal rafter things on the roof above the stage ....

Good luck with the research ... I have nothing really constructive or useful to add however.

There is a link between Indie and Goth.. See this is where things have changed. People nowadays aren't as closed minded, then again that's not strictly true either as being a dj I only know too well, when someone asks me for Sisters Temple of Love '92 for the umpteenth time - !zed

However Goth/indus/alt scene has widened over the years. It's no longer just yer Sisters/Nephs types or your strict ebm. It's everything from Ambient to Etherial to Dark Folk to trad goth (ie guitary goth) to Placebo to TJMC to goth metal (Therion, Nightwish, Rammstein anyone?!) to christian goth (or so they say Evanescence) to skinny puppy to front 242 to FLA (and their goth, then chart topping side project Delerium) to VNV Nation to Icon Of Coil to Covenant to Assemblage 23 to In Strict Confidence etc and everything in between which incompaces Cocteau Twins to DCD to early Simple Minds. Anyone remember Sons and Fascination?

Its all dark..

In Europe and in particular Switzerland. There's no goth scene no clubs. It's all dark parties.. which I think is a better term..

Thanks for the support but you have contributed - you saw JJJ in the Rock garden and Guernica! I wasn't privileged to have seen Guernica. Other than Joe Rooney who were the members? Any pics of both gigs?

Come on, don't tell me people didn't bring a camera to gigs?

Btw anyone go to DCD recently? And was anyone at the Joy Division Tribute band that played the Temple Bar Music Centre a few years ago? The drummer is the brother of Byron's Brian Cooper.

Oh and slightly off topic but not really - The Levellers are coming back and playing tomorrow night in the TBMC. Eric of Tower fame and promotions is bringing them over.

spectraljanitor said:

Now that brings me back! Thee Sanctuary started out as a Wednesday night club in 1990 upstairs in Branskeys:eek: at the Westside shopping centre. While all other 'indie' clubs in Galway at the time served up the usual fare of student bagginess (and the obligitory Voilent Femmes song which, by law, all clubs in Galway had to play at the time), thee sanctuary played its fair share of goth along with yr smiths/cure/pixies/d.jr set. Unfortunately, it was a bit constrained by the oprganisers limited record collections, so the playlist didn't change much week on week.

The best part about it though was the fact that they had these crazy drinks promotions there - they generally sold tinnies behind the bar, and they'd have things like 2-for-1 promotions, making it much cheaper to drink there than to go to the offy. As a result the regular 20-30 people that attended were always extremely wasted by the end of the night (and not a pint of snakebite in sight), so everybody ended up in a mass of bodies on the dance floor.

I left Galway in '91 so wasn't aware that they went on to bigger things. Although for Christmas (I think) they had a one off night in some hole in Salthill (probably Twiggs2 at the time actually). My only memories of this involve way too much dry ice and a hooded figure getting people to bow at the three pronged crucifix thing he was carrying around.

good times! (but sorry, no flyers/pictures!)

aurnia said:
Btw speaking of Coil was anyone here other than Dec (McGonagles) and myself at the gig? I don't think I can make Thighpaulsandra

yep, i was there, i thought it was absolutely superb, although many wouldnt agree (indeed, at the time here there was a thread in which a lot of people seemed to dislike the performance quite alot. stunning to me though, but i would say that, ha).

here are some photos from that gig:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/55867717@N00/sets/59427/

i must say though, i think that coil performance and what thighpaulsandra does are as far away from "goth" as can be, really.

Brian Conniffe said:
yep, i was there, i thought it was absolutely superb, although many wouldnt agree (indeed, at the time here there was a thread in which a lot of people seemed to dislike the performance quite alot. stunning to me though, but i would say that, ha).

here are some photos from that gig:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/55867717@N00/sets/59427/

i must say though, i think that coil performance and what thighpaulsandra does are as far away from "goth" as can be, really.

Depends on what's one's view of goth really. I enjoyed it immensely. Btw can't seem to get your pics to open. I've pics too but I'd have to scan them in.

Brian Conniffe said:
again, i did. i posted about it here before, in short, i thought: very tight musicially, great vocals, awful synth presets, far too expensive.

Well I wasn't here, so wouldn't know what you said. It was brill to see them back together again. Lisa's voice is just so amazing, I nearly cried during Sanvean yet again. And Brendan was top on form with Black Sun (one of my fav's) and Ubiquitous Mr Lovegrove. I'm awaiting for my live cd. I had brill seat, front row upstairs (got up at 9am the day they were released to get them)

Now to get back onto the topic of Irish goth and but yet still connected with DCD.
Does anyone have any info on Elijah's Mantle other than it being Mark St.John Ellis on the De Nova Da Capro label and BP producing? I've a few of the albums but no info exactly on who Mark is, what's he doing with himself etc..

Ditto with CoEx, also on the same label. CoEx are Klaus & Eleanor Vormehr, Leo Regan and Paul Blackely though the last two are vocals on a few tracks. The connection is that Brendan Perry also produced and they live/lived in Sligo. Anyone heard of these? Any info? Are they Irish or German/Dutch but just living here.

The DNDC label is licensed to World Serpent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back