Hello (1 Viewer)

Honest question Buzzo, how comes you only ever post on these Female rights threads on Eirecore?
Eirecore is much more than Female rights threads....let's talk about other stuff too.
:)

I don't like most of the bands that people talk about round here. I don't really post much on Thumped either these days Janer, but I wanted to show Nooly some solidarity when I saw the reaction to her post as I felt shit last time I ended up fighting this on my own. I couldn't give a shit anymore to be honest. I'll fight to the death, and happily, as I am avoiding my thesis (which deals with violence against women, surprise surprise!!).

Ed- I have corroborated your point that men are damaged and affected by sexual abuse too, I just don't want to dwell on it in a conversation about sexism where I'm trying to make the point that it's something that affects women rather than men. Sexism. Not childhood abuse, sexism. If someone was making child abuse jokes, I would feel the need to point out that anyone- male or female- on the forum is affected by it. If I feel the joke is sexist, I'll point out how it affects women. That's my point. If you want to have a conversation about childhood sexual abuse, I'll happily engage, but somewhere else. Generally any conversations about gender inequality is usurped by this shit and I feel reluctant to engage in it.

Oly- sorry...that thicko thing was meant as a joke. I know you know I'm flabbergastingly intelligent. For reals. I'm not actually taking any of this personally. I'll try to send you some links about the abuse- I'll have to have a look so gimme a day or two. Check the Women's Aid Annual Report for this year anyway, I think it's mentioned in there. It's pretty bats of you to imply that I suggested it's common among Irish men! I'm saying it's a common form of abuse, in that it happens to many women. Not per head of the population, like.

You are wrong. I am right. GODDAMN THAT FEELS GOOD!

edumacation.jpg

girl_falling_fail.jpg

by the way, why is it taken for granted that veils 'oppress' women?
have you ever asked a muslim woman why she wears a veil?
'the scene' is progressive insofar as it defines 'progress' in line with western norms
bullshit

It's an interesting point.
I've never met a Muslim woman who hates her hijab, but obviously some exist.
It's not as clear as something like genital mutilation.
You could argue it's down to conditioning but I would argue that if someone doesn't mind it, their beliefs should be respected.

In India, women who show off their shoulders, wear jeans or otherwise dress in tight clothes are very commonly assumed to be advertising their horniness; and we all know here that's not true.
Many western women travelling in these countries wear local clothes to avoid the constant attention.
And it's not just men who give the attention, many local women are just as disgusted as the men are aroused.
Don't even get me started about what happens when Western women get near a beach in Muslim/Hindu countries!
Different cultures, different norms.

As Gazzer said, 'the scene' is a bunch of people into the tunes and not a sacrosanct proto-utopia.
It can't be expected to 'lift us up' from any imaginary oppression, it's there for the good time buzz!

You could argue it's down to conditioning

it is, but no more so than kneejerk western condemnation is

As Gazzer said, 'the scene' is a bunch of people into the tunes and not a sacrosanct proto-utopia.
It can't be expected to 'lift us up' from any imaginary oppression, it's there for the good time buzz!
agreed!
but then the circular question of what constitutes a good time buzz comes back around ...
solution: become a raver

it is, but no more so than kneejerk western condemnation is
By the same argument, the West conditions women into wearing flattering tops, mascara and tight trousers.
Anyway, I think 'conditioning' is a load of bollocks.
It's like saying 'The insidious world slowly and effortlessly brainwashes and manipulates us' or 'an invisible spirit has plans to make everyone feel upset and helpless'.
There is still fear of the dark hand of 'The System', 'The Media', 'The Bush Administration' in the same way that our great grandparents feared and were in awe of the same God and Devil that none of us believe in any more.
Replace 'The System' for 'Satan' next time you're reading a lefty publication and the bitter taste of Christianity will be stuck in your mouth.
This fear and distrust fills the void left through atheism.

'Conditioning' is Pavlov's dogs or learning complicated dance moves through repetition.
Hijabs, burqas, tight jeans, big tits, skinny waists and buttered trousers are aesthetics which are culturally accepted and that some people choose to aspire to and some people are pressured to aspire to.
It's not as catchy though.

By the same argument, the West conditions women into wearing flattering tops, mascara and tight trousers.
Anyway, I think 'conditioning' is a load of bollocks.
It's like saying 'The insidious world slowly and effortlessly brainwashes and manipulates us' or 'an invisible spirit has plans to make everyone feel upset and helpless'.
There is still fear of the dark hand of 'The System', 'The Media', 'The Bush Administration' in the same way that our great grandparents feared and were in awe of the same God and Devil that none of us believe in any more.
Replace 'The System' for 'Satan' next time you're reading a lefty publication and the bitter taste of Christianity will be stuck in your mouth.
This fear and distrust fills the void left through atheism.

'Conditioning' is Pavlov's dogs or learning complicated dance moves through repetition.
Hijabs, burqas, tight jeans, big tits, skinny waists and buttered trousers are aesthetics which are culturally accepted and that some people choose to aspire to and some people are pressured to aspire to.
It's not as catchy though.

what?
'conditioning' isn't the word i would use ('subjectivation' is) but of course all that we are is produced through language, history, disciplinary practices, and normalised conceptions of the self. you've said as much in your last post: 'different cultures, different norms'. it's not about 'the system' as a sovereign subject somewhere, pulling the evil strings, but that we are inescapably in language, in history, in our own consciousness. we cannot step outside of subjectivation to assume some position from which we can objectively critique it. critique is immanent.

but your idea of cultural 'aesthetics' that some choose and others are forced into makes no sense: you necessarily assume a neutral cartesian subject behind everything, a neutral objective reality from which an individual can rationally choose 'correctly', or else be coerced against their own 'free will'.

this neutral position does not exist. further, it seems clear to me that this idea of a neutral, transcendental free will is the fundamentally theological position. there is no universal,

so there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back