Feminist Walking Tour - March 8th (1 Viewer)

I have no problem with feminism at all, except that I feel modern day feminism h as moved more and more towards "radical" views which in fact result in sexism towards men. This hasn't happened so much in Ireland fortunately, but it is quite common in some other countries, and has been going on for over 20 years.

chris-morris.jpg

Quote:
I don't buy the whole gender issues arguments as I think gender only applies to you if you let it be applied to you.Quote

:rolleyes:
so when i got turned down for a job last year because i was male

my response should have been what? "im only male if i let myself be male
so ill tell you what i'll only be male on the days im not working how's that suit ya""no problem mrs byrne you can start monday"

just one other point .
feminism like most ism's like punk like most walks of life will have different meanings for different people invovled.over the years ive met feminists ive found inspiring,boring,disgusting ,stupid, over my head intelegent etc etc.and these people didn't /don't always have time for the others either so talking in general terms of one "modern feminism" and in turn taring all with one shitty brush is to me boring to say the least.

I heard the walking tour had a better turn out than most punk gigs? :p

Anyway, I get all my feminist analysis on domestic violence from Fair City nowadays. You just need to wear a lot of make up and a fringe to hide the bruises. Agony aunts in newspapers are also better than unsympathetic Carrigstown co-workers.

I heard the walking tour had a better turn out than most punk gigs? :p

Anyway, I get all my feminist analysis on domestic violence from Fair City nowadays. You just need to wear a lot of make up and a fringe to hide the bruises. Agony aunts in newspapers are also better than unsympathetic Carrigstown co-workers.

ORLY? Im gonna havta tune in

Dunchee=King of Feminist History

nah, i don't know that much, just enough to know that there's a fair few misconceptions getting thrown about. you wouldn't want to be party to conceptual inflation would you?

no, but r.w. connell is worth checking out.

come on dunchee, we all know your only in it for the pussy!

such a low blow ailbhe. with my looks, you've gotta put in the hours. :p

dunchee's got a backward case of penis envy.

r.w. connell is a case of backward penis apparently. and she is an internationally renowned academic...hmmm...

no, but r.w. connell is worth checking out.

will do - i haven't read much on gender and this thread makes me want to start.

Do you know any writers on gender and design? specifically product design.

I'd be particularly interested in exploring gender perspectives in sustainable design

Why are you so uncomfortable with the thought of women fighting for equality here? It's funny that so many people accept the need for feminism, as long as it's in another place, or another time.
Uncomfortable? Corm was saying that he viewed feminism as being more concerned with women's issues than equality and argued that this makes it a partisan group. That hardly makes him uncomfortable with it as much as unconvinced with it. I agree with him.

So we have different ideas, that's great! It's understandable to feel defensive over something that's important to you when there's eejits like us talking about it. But saying things like 'why do women fighting for equality make you uncomfortable' when both Corm and I have both clearly said that we didn't feel that 'feminism=gender equality' kind of hints at us being sexist in some way - and that's just ridiculous.

will do - i haven't read much on gender and this thread makes me want to start.

Do you know any writers on gender and design? specifically product design.

I'd be particularly interested in exploring gender perspectives in sustainable design

i wouldn't really know dude. but a quick google search uncovered a fair few interesting looking articles.

Uncomfortable? Corm was saying that he viewed feminism as being more concerned with women's issues than equality and argued that this makes it a partisan group. That hardly makes him uncomfortable with it as much as unconvinced with it. I agree with him.

So we have different ideas, that's great! It's understandable to feel defensive over something that's important to you when there's eejits like us talking about it. But saying things like 'why do women fighting for equality make you uncomfortable' when both Corm and I have both clearly said that we didn't feel that 'feminism=gender equality' kind of hints at us being sexist in some way - and that's just ridiculous.

You know what? My fucking fiddle just broke and I'm too cross to reply right now. I'll get back to you later.

Can someone tell me when feminist & black power etc etc groups transmogrify from being organisations of empowerment to paritsan groups of self interest? Is there a precise moment in the process or is it just when a bunch of people on the internet decide?

transmogrifier.gif

:rolleyes:

so ill tell you what i'll only be male on the days im not working how's that suit ya""no problem mrs byrne you can start monday"

yeah this happens quite a bit in the area of social care, just saw a job I would've like to apply for the other day in a project for victims of domestic abuse however it said 'Female Applicants Only', which I understand their reasons for but it still felt a little harsh, also before when I applied for a job in the rape crisis centre I was given the same 'Female Applicants Only' line, it never really got to me too much but it is an issue. From my years working in social care most of the workplaces are 2/3 female 1/3 male, in my last employment I was the only male. However due to the smaller amount of men in social care work it can sometimes be an advantage as most projects tend to want a mixed staff team.

however most of the men I know who have worked with children find the application procedure for them far more strenuous than for female friends in the same area of work. Yet again I understand the reason for this, but all I was trying to point out was gender does make a difference whether you want it to or not

mixed bag basically!:p

yeah this happens quite a bit in the area of social care,

Social care? I thought he was talking about his interview for lap-dancer!

Seriously though, gender- or race- or whatever- inequality only exists for a lot of people when they, or people they identify with (gender-wise, race wise, whatever-wise) are effected by it...all other times its invisible, or something consigned to the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back