Feminist Walking Tour - March 8th (1 Viewer)

Well, how do you define down-trodden women? When I referred to the glass ceiling I meant the work place and academia.

I'm not denying that there are no sexist bosses, sexist professors or sexist elements in government. There are all kinds of assholes. But these people are a minority and do not constitute a 'sexist system'. Iran, Saudi Aradia, Nigeria, Libya, Sudan... these are sexist systems. Compare those countries with Irish institutions like NUI, Dublin City Council or RTÉ (the most sexist of all!). In my gyrlfrynd's experience, Western Europe is by far the least sexist region in the world in terms of getting on with day to day business.

I think that the argument that women have no chance to be equal to men in this society because of the systematic persecution by men doesn't hold true (persecution by some assholes - now that's true). But a huge reason why it doesn't hold true is because of the feminist movement in the past, you'd need to be blind not to see that. But feminism today has a different connotation for many people because for these people gender plays no part in their opinion of someone's character, so to focus on one gender as a means towards equality is an oxymoron.

The only barriers to true equality lies with a minority of people who are true dicks. They may happen to be male, but they mostly happen to have white skin and brown hair too.

Ultimately, a man who wears old, tattered clothes will face more adversity and less opportunity in Ireland than a well dressed woman. If the Irish system is so hopelessly infested with sexist and patriarchist elements then how can this be explained?

i dunno oly. i mean fair enough if that's your opinion but to be honest i see more opinion in there than fact or argument. i mean your main argument that sexism isn't ingrained in our institutions is that feminism has existed in the past. i don't get it.

before i begin i will re-iterate that these are my veiws, not to be pushed upon anyone. also all my points are about dublin now, obviously not about other extremely oppressive countries.

i really dont believe that the balance is tipped with women doing worse off, honestly. obviously some people are sexist, some veiws/traditions could be percieved as sexist, but the effects of it are felt equally by both sexes, but perhaps because feminism is so highlighted in our society, the gender issues for men are unthought of.

i of course see women being treated in a specific way because of their gender as bad, and see female stereotypes as restrictive and unfair. people dont draw attention to the other side of the spectrum though. gender issues effect men hugely. for one, they carry a huge pressure to be strong, supportive, tough etc. In terms of actual sexism, how many times have you heard of women doing things like wearing super low cut tops to interviews, or using their body in some way to get what they want with no intention of talking to the man afterwards. how many times do you see women that expect suitors to buy everything they could desire, and wine and dine them all the time. To generalise massively, in a normal cross section of society,(not super liberal equality thumpders) the young women expect the men to be a provider(drinks, food, taxis, gifts etc), a protector willing to fight for them, a coat in the rain, a constant sympathetic ear, and anything else they can think of. the young men expect a laugh, some love and a ride every so often. just go into town at the weekend and this is plain to see.

im in no way saying that sexism doesnt exist, but i think it happens to all of us, male and female, and that women are just more likely to go mad about it.
perhaps thats because of the way the feminist movement here is so strong, with no counter 'male-inist' movement. i mean this in the same way that, for example, the number 23 is thought by some to be a magic number. because of this, they see the number everywhere, while not noticing the massive amount of other numbers around.

i still think that the term feminism conjours up division and segregation in a way that comes accross as holier than thou.

whatever yer into tho.

i dunno what feminist stuff you've read but there's loads of it that cover the negative effects of male gender roles on men. there are academic departments out there that are devoted to the study of masculinity. there are also men's groups out there but i'd bet they'd get some unmerciful amount of shite on eirecore too.

one important thing to remember is that gender studies and masculinity studies were born out of the legacy of modern feminism. they use analytical models and theories that have been developed by feminist writers over the years. feminism isn't just about femininity, it's about gender. any critical analysis of gender can't really ignore feminist thought.

i dunno oly. i mean fair enough if that's your opinion but to be honest i see more opinion in there than fact or argument. i mean your main argument that sexism isn't ingrained in our institutions is that feminism has existed in the past. i don't get it.

i dunno what feminist stuff you've read but there's loads of it that cover the negative effects of male gender roles on men. there are academic departments out there that are devoted to the study of masculinity. there are also men's groups out there but i'd bet they'd get some unmerciful amount of shite on eirecore too.

one important thing to remember is that gender studies and masculinity studies were born out of the legacy of modern feminism. they use analytical models and theories that have been developed by feminist writers over the years. feminism isn't just about femininity, it's about gender. any critical analysis of gender can't really ignore feminist thought.

DUNCHEE!!!!

You have another go at me bird again and I'll fukkin rape ya!!

Roight!!!??

....prick!!

That's not my argument! My argument is that feminism is alienating to many women who don't view gender as an issue. The movement has achieved so much but has lost its relevance by virtue of the fact that it is gender specific and not inclusive which is fairly behind the times for Ireland in 2008. If you feel that women should have the exact same rights as men - you are a feminist. It's a vital component to being a decent human being! But the term 'feminism' is charged with gender sectarianism in this modern context.

Time to move on...
beyond2000%20copy.jpg

That's not my argument! My argument is that feminism is alienating to many women who don't view gender as an issue. The movement has achieved so much but has lost its relevance by virtue of the fact that it is gender specific and not inclusive which is fairly behind the times for Ireland in 2008. If you feel that women should have the exact same rights as men - you are a feminist. It's a vital component to being a decent human being! But the term 'feminism' is charged with gender sectarianism in this modern context.

Time to move on...
beyond2000%20copy.jpg

we're all feminists and the arguments in this thread are actually about semantics related to the word 'feminism'?

i dunno man, i started asking questions 'cos i thought people had big issues with feminism that weren't being discussed and i don't think they were about semantics.

anyway, onwards and upwards. :)

i think i need to read up on this BUT.....

from my limited understanding I see gender as a universalism and most of the proposed proof of 'anti-lady activity' is based on context specific perspectives and semantics. Is there a need to roll back and explore the meta-narratives and meta-paradigms that fundamentally influence behaviour and action to explore what is creating the systemic barriers to true inity?

whatever.........

the walk was a deadly idea and I regret missing it and the google map thing is great too. It opens up lots of options for using urban spaces and nerdology to share perspectives and contexts on all sorts of shit.

from my limited understanding I see gender as a universalism and most of the proposed proof of 'anti-lady activity' is based on context specific perspectives and semantics. Is there a need to roll back and explore the meta-narratives and meta-paradigms that fundamentally influence behaviour and action to explore what is creating the systemic barriers to true inity?

whatever.........

the walk was a deadly idea and I regret missing it and the google map thing is great too. It opens up lots of options for using urban spaces and nerdology to share perspectives and contexts on all sorts of shit.

dude

You need one of these.

Websters_New_World_Dict_and_Thesaurus_2CD_f.jpg

cease
Pronunciation verb, ceased, ceas·ing, noun –verb (used without object)
1.to stop; discontinue: Not all medieval beliefs have ceased to exist.
2.to come to an end: At last the war has ceased.
3.Obsolete. to pass away; die out. –verb (used with object)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back