Eirecore - is it dying - stats?? (3 Viewers)

Again, it says "stay out of punx" on the label for the forum. I dunno if you're talkin about my post. I don't give much of a damn what a band sound like but if I can't hear what they're singing about first of, it isn't punk. Why should it be a bloody effort to figure out what a band are trying to say if they're trying to "fight the system" or whatever????

Again, it says "stay out of punx" on the label for the forum. I dunno if you're talkin about my post. I don't give much of a damn what a band sound like but if I can't hear what they're singing about first of, it isn't punk. Why should it be a bloody effort to figure out what a band are trying to say if they're trying to "fight the system" or whatever????

My grandad says the same thing about Elvis

Now The Andrews Sisters, there was a band

lyric sheets come in very handy for this - most punk (or whatever genre you like to label it by) records / cds usually have em. they're just like getting a hard crossword, but with the answers printed beside em.

Not being able to hear the lyrics is very important. There's only so many times I can stand being told to 'Think for myself' and to 'Fuck the system' before I feel like rebelling *again* and just go mainstream.

Crust not Crass.

in fairness "stay out of punx" isn't exactly a definition of what punk is and unless someone is gonna come up with a water-tight definition, which is religiously applied, thread content is always gonna include non-punk/crossover stuff. i'd say there's very few people on here who listen exclusively to punk. the punk bands who feature on this forum have members who get influences from a variety of genres and punk itself is no musical monolith, independant of all other forms of music.

i reckon this forum could do with a bit more political/philosophical/for want of a better term debate. dunno if anyone else is gonna agree with that though. !ninjaaaa

Aye, no harm like but what's the craic with the overflow of noise/metal/whatever bands on here? It says "stay out of punx" on the tin and all even though there don't seem to be too many punk bands being talked about on here. Not saying I'm one to be startin these kinda threads but I've definitely stopped checking back here as often in the last while because of the vast amount of bands being linked to that aren't anything close to what I'd consider punk. I like to leave the sound aside and let the lyrics of a band's songs decide whether or not they're "punk" but when ya can't hear fuck all but screeching for vocals there isn't any chance in hell that I'm gonna want to listen to it let alone add any of it to my record collection.

Ok, while I see what you're saying...that is a silly post. First off, I'm not "having a go" or anything but think about it, why are there no punk bands? Perhaps due to the fact that "punks" have started to broaden their musical horizons and get into other forms of music. Like you said, you leave the sound aside and let the lyrics do the talking...maybe you should try reading some of the lyrics then. If all else fails, try broadening YOUR taste in music. Surely the whole point of punk was that it couldn't be limited to just one style or chord.

For me personally, Eirecore died when that prick Oly told us he was that prick the Strange Guy. Without a doubt some of the best posts and threads came from that knob jockey.

...ah the memories :rolleyes:

I never said I don't listen to music outside of punk. I just don't like music that has, what I consider to be, too much screaming/inaudible vocals. Like, I listen to punk music to take in as many different views as I can, whether or not they agree with each other, but I'm not gonna go to a gig, buy a CD/LP, take out the lyrics sheet and sit there studying it while the band play.

Call me lazy, but that's just me :)

P.S. "Why are there no punk bands?" Did I say there were no punk bands? Gwan and actually read my post before trying to call it silly and then backtrack with "I'm not having a go" ;)

Nah, I know they aren't perfect but I can usually make out most of it. I just can't listen to the screaming. A song where ya can't understand what the singer's goin on about at all is pretty pointless in my opinion. Sayin that I've been known to jump about to the odd Wizo song like a maniac :p

I never said I don't listen to music outside of punk. I just don't like music that has, what I consider to be, too much screaming/inaudible vocals. Like, I listen to punk music to take in as many different views as I can, whether or not they agree with each other, but I'm not gonna go to a gig, buy a CD/LP, take out the lyrics sheet and sit there studying it while the band play.

Call me lazy, but that's just me :)

P.S. "Why are there no punk bands?" Did I say there were no punk bands? Gwan and actually read my post before trying to call it silly and then backtrack with "I'm not having a go" ;)

Touche!!

What I was trying to get across but obviously failed to do so was that there still are punk bands out there, playing punk and all that, just not in the "ye olden" orthodox way.

Crass weren't the most melodic and audible of bands, but hey...

...now I'm having a go!!

:p

It's dead, dead, dead.
How can you *not* get nostalgic for the old Eirecore days?
'Back in the day' the threads were ripe ground for slaggings and wind-ups.
These days you get maybe three good threads a year, the rest are youtube links.

Everyone has disappeared up Rupert Murdoch's hole, living it up in Myspace. They hand over details of their life, their likes, dislikes and favourite bands with a smile to advertising moguls compiling the worlds biggest database of the minds of young people, who interacts with who and figuring out what the newest fads are long before anyone else.

Either that or everybody is enjoying real life.

spot on i think!

i blame people giving out about things not being punk enough for them. it's been a long time since '77 lads, give it up.
I far prefer later Punk to '77 Punk, alot of people think that just cos we call something Punk if it's from the 90's that it will be crusty or experimental etc but a perfect example of post 90's Punk that is still Punk can be found in bands like Oi Scouts/Intensive Care/Zombie Vandals and closer to home The Excuses.

Also the Punk scene is fairly still Punk but for some reason down here in Dublin it has literally vanished.
I ended up going to gigs that were not Punk and were HC/Crusty/Metal because of this but then again I had done this in 78/79 when I ended up watching new wave bands cos of the lack of Punk bands (Berlin/U2/Atrix)

As has already been said,it is mostly a gig listing these days. The youtube links I'm guilty of,but for the most part I try to have them about a band or something that I find interesting that's related to punk or hardcore.I'm not so into the wacky links to photos and videos that seem to make up the biggest part of some message boards. I don't think I've posted any metal stuff on herebut I don't have a problem with it if it is as plenty of people who post here listen to it.
It's rare that a decent topic stays on topic and interesting throughout,either as a reader or as wanting to take part. I probably visit more to find out what gigs are coming up,and to be honest,most of the gigs I'm not even bothered about anyway. I live in hope.

Also the Belfast Punk scene is fairly still Punk but for some reason down here in Dublin it has literally vanished.
I ended up going to gigs that were not Punk and were HC/Crusty/Metal because of this but then again I had done this in 78/79 when I ended up watching new wave bands cos of the lack of Punk bands (Berlin/U2/Atrix)
I left out Belfast in original post ffs

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back