Does vinyl sound better? (3 Viewers)

These modern audiophile pressings generally have a very smooth surface, the slightest mark on them affects sound, compare it to a 1960s UK Decca 45, the deep grooves can be covered in scuffs but still sound great.

Excellent point. At lot of my UK and Euro 45s may look beat-up and VG+ at best but they play great.

If I can't lord my mis-pressed copy of Motor Away, or my original copy of Crossing The Red Sea with... The Adverts on Bright, over your head, what kind of snob would I be??
If that's what you hold over people's head, then call me a snob but you ain't got shit.

et.jpg

ThreeGreys.jpg

Bad+Aliens.jpg

MEANWHILE ON THE PLANET THEY CALLE EARTH THE FEEBLE EARTHLINGS STRUGGLED TO REPRODUCE SOUND

If it's not been mentioned already ...
People using music in therapeutic situations have reported that digital formats tend not to bring on the same good feelings in patients in terms of relaxation and positive response; that CD sound tended to agitate more than soothe. That's from outside of the aesthetic argument. Should really have a link to back this up....

If it's not been mentioned already ...
People using music in therapeutic situations have reported that digital formats tend not to bring on the same good feelings in patients in terms of relaxation and positive response; that CD sound tended to agitate more than soothe. That's from outside of the aesthetic argument. Should really have a link to back this up....

A link would be great if you can find it. This could find a home in module I want to pitch in work.

“In 1924 the British magazine Gramophone playfully warned of ‘gramomania’ alerting readers to its ‘insidious approach, its baneful effects, its ability to destroy human delights’. Two years later, on the other side of the Atlantic, the Phonography Monthly Review asked readers to recount their most dire sacrifices in the name of grooved shellac.”

From Capturing Sound: How Technology Has Changed Music by Mark Katz, p10.

Another one of these lovely threads. Takes out popcorn......

You can get some amazing cuts from digi CD these days. You can also get some terrible cuts from an analogue source. Vice versa

Both have their merits. Both have their pitfalls......
Enjoy what you have nearby.

Last edited:
Ok I think I can conclusively settle this now.

On a day off today and got pissed off waiting for my vinyl copy of the new Swans album to arrive in the post (been listening to an mp3 stream of it from Deezer for the last few weeks but I think we can all agree that's crap). So, I got on the computer and downloaded a FLAC. Then downloaded some software to rip FLAC onto CD. Ripped it into two CDs. Went into the attic and waded through tons of boxes before finally locating my (pretty decent) Yamaha CD player. Tried to hook it up to the stereo and realised I didn't have the audio connecting cables I needed. Went down to the local electrical shop and bought some. Hooked up the CD player and it wouldn't power up. Opened up the plug and realised there was no fuse. Went back to the local electrical shop and got a fuse. Installed fuse, hooked it all up (not without various cabling difficulties) and finally started listening to the bloody thing, loud.

Five minutes later the postman turned up with my vinyl and I switched to that. It definitely sounds better.

Ok I think I can conclusively settle this now.

On a day off today and got pissed off waiting for my vinyl copy of the new Swans album to arrive in the post (been listening to an mp3 stream of it from Deezer for the last few weeks but I think we can all agree that's crap). So, I got on the computer and downloaded a FLAC. Then downloaded some software to rip FLAC onto CD. Ripped it into two CDs. Went into the attic and waded through tons of boxes before finally locating my (pretty decent) Yamaha CD player. Tried to hook it up to the stereo and realised I didn't have the audio connecting cables I needed. Went down to the local electrical shop and bought some. Hooked up the CD player and it wouldn't power up. Opened up the plug and realised there was no fuse. Went back to the local electrical shop and got a fuse. Installed fuse, hooked it all up (not without various cabling difficulties) and finally started listening to the bloody thing, loud.

Five minutes later the postman turned up with my vinyl and I switched to that. It definitely sounds better.

Now do that with every available version of every record ever made and we'll be closer still to knowing which you think is better - across the board...

;)

One day I played the song Script For A Jester's Tear on a load of different formats (I have them all).
- Vinyl
- Original CD
- Tape
- Picture Disc
- Remastered CD
I had to admit that the vinyl didn't sound the "best" but it was the most pleasing. The Remastered CD sounded the "worst".
That's a 7 minute song, how come I had the time to do that???

I used to think I'd loads of records that were worth a lot, but they're no longer as I played them to shit. Which is exactly what they're for.

Exactly, it's like would you rather be the kid that played with his star wars figures or the obsessive that kept them in their original packaging. Sure they might be worth something but if you can actually bring yourself to selling them off you're probably not gonna be able to enjoy the money anyways

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back