Does vinyl sound better? (1 Viewer)

Did I read on popbitch a few weeks back that Blurred Lines sold more units in the UK last year than all the vinyl sales combined? Or something mad like that

I was thinking 40,000 was not that many,surely the likes of Zeppelin,AC/DC,Guns & Roses,U2 and loads more would have had way way more than that(and probably just in the first day)

Not really they would press 70,000 at plant and distribute. It was never in the 6 figure area. I wouldn't go by any of those reports to be honest. I went through the Nelson one in 2010 it reported sale at a certain amount and one factory in Europe matched the sales figure with their output alone.

It's a dark horse when reporting numbers on vinyl. More so in modern times with so many indie labels that are not part of RIAA or BPI etc etc

Did I read on popbitch a few weeks back that Blurred Lines sold more units in the UK last year than all the vinyl sales combined? Or something mad like that

Wouldn't surprise me, Blurred lines sold about 1.5 million units, presumably the vast majority of those sales were individual song downloads. Do stores still sell cd singles?

One thing strikes me.
When people say they "Ohh it's resonance in the tone arm" and things like that are why vinyl sounds more appealing to people, aren't they still actually conceding the point. Just because the more appealing sound doesn't come from some magic property of the groove, doesn't mean it's not real, does it?

One thing strikes me.
When people say they "Ohh it's resonance in the tone arm" and things like that are why vinyl sounds more appealing to people, aren't they still actually conceding the point. Just because the more appealing sound doesn't come from some magic property of the groove, doesn't mean it's not real, does it?

So at the same time when "the kids" say something along the lines of "physical music? What the hell are you talking about? You listen to music, you don't hold it. Streaming sounds perfect to me" it's just as real?

One thing strikes me.

Welllll... firstly you have to decide if distortion or "resonance" is indeed "better" for everyone, because if it's not then vinyl doesn't sound better, it sounds different in a way that some people prefer.

Secondly, if we are going to go down the road of agreeing that random distortion is the "best" sound, we should formalise the signature of this distortion so that it can be added to all forms of media, cinema soundtracks, PA systems, etc. etc.

We also need to agree to generally lower the bit rate and compress music differently.

But that's only if we can all agree that specific random (yeah I went there) distortion, bit reduction, noise and resonance is actually the "best" sound we can achieve.

Stores?!?

Golden Discs, somehow, still survives. I've never checked if they have CD singles any more. It wouldn't surprise me if they did for big singles, especially ones that appeal to an older cohort.

I believe HMV was also resurrected but I've no been in one since THE CHANGE.

Golden Discs, somehow, still survives. I've never checked if they have CD singles any more. It wouldn't surprise me if they did for big singles, especially ones that appeal to an older cohort.

I believe HMV was also resurrected but I've no been in one since THE CHANGE.

The HMV on Henry Street has pretty decent selection of vinyl

Wouldn't surprise me, Blurred lines sold about 1.5 million units, presumably the vast majority of those sales were individual song downloads. Do stores still sell cd singles?

Most CD singles nowadays are sold via Amazon UK. They're not pressed in huge quantities and sell out fast. Some download-only tracks will have a promotional CD single for sale. Usually in a card sleeve and will only have one track. In many cases the only way to get a physical copy of a single / radio edit is to buy the relevant Now album (UK or US) that it appears on. Obviously you'll get the track on the band's CD album but that's often a longer or different version.

This record sounds better.

10430902_10152067740506741_4258433288431628612_n.jpg

welll

It's not something I feel that strongly about but I suppose the point would be that the very fact that you can't choose specifically what the noise on vinyl is going to be like is what makes it good. People can have 'relationships' with their vinyl in ways they can't with digital sounds because it'll change over time -the more it's played and how well they treat it and all that.

Your semantic point about 'better' versus 'prefer' is true enough though, not arguing there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back