Cans at the Lower Deck (1 Viewer)

This thread is about how drinking cans in the Lower Deck has become a problem because the management are considering stopping gigs there altogether.
But pretty much all the discussion on this thread is aimed at still drinking cans at the Lower Deck and just getting away with it.

How's this for a thought: The people who work in the Lower Deck AREN'T stupid. They know a lot of faces of people who have being going to gigs there for the past years, so they know rightly when people have been buying pints, and when they haven't; that's all part of the job when you're working at a bar. It doesn't matter how subtle you are with your cans, if you take your empties home with you, whatever. The bar staff are sober, and they will know what's going on. They might not know exactly how much, who's done it, or even be able to prove it, but that doesn't matter. They will know it's happening, they might not even care so much, but eventually when it all comes down to the matter of continuing with gigs there or not, the owner will just say to someone "do you think lots of people are still drinking cans there?", they'll say "probably" and that'll be that.
In my opinion, all the people here who are talking about getting away with drinking cans are only fooling themselves.

I tell you this now, if I was working in the Lower Deck, it would be blatantly obvious to me that people were bringing their own drink in with them and not buying pints there. Even if you don't see a can being poured, all you need to do is think of how many pints have been sold that night, and watch how many people have been continually drinking all night, and think about how many people have bags with them that could hold a bunch of cans, and there's no doubt about what's going on.
We all know the Lower Deck have known about this for years, this thread's been popping up every six months for years, but they've been quite patient and they're going to get fed up at some point.
I don't see how making it all "less obvious" is going to make a difference to that.

If people really care about continuing with gigs in the Lower Deck, they will stop drinking cans there altogether, and just buy a few pints instead. Even someone on the dole can afford to buy a few pints in there once a week, especially considering that (I'm told) pints there are actually fairly reasonably priced for Dublin. And there's plenty of people that live nearby who would just drink before they go to the venue and save some for when they get home, and not really bother with it in the venue itself.

Still, I think it's much more likely that people will just continue to piss in their own back yard because they don't really give a shit. That's what punks usually do anyway.

If I was booking a lot of gigs in the Lower Deck right now, I'd start looking for another venue to do it already, so that when the Lower Deck give up there'd still be somewhere else I could use easily enough.

I agree with Cormac.

People who drink cans at a DIY punk gig when they know it could fuck up future gigs are tight cunts. If ya can't afford to buy drink give it up.

ah the joys of livin round the corner.
i do my bit of tidying up after dope's who leave tins lying around and i see alot of other people doing the same.not quite good enough i know but its better than alot of other places.also,way more people buy pints than pour cans i think.

This thread is about how drinking cans in the Lower Deck has become a problem because the management are considering stopping gigs there altogether.
But pretty much all the discussion on this thread is aimed at still drinking cans at the Lower Deck and just getting away with it.

How's this for a thought: The people who work in the Lower Deck AREN'T stupid. They know a lot of faces of people who have being going to gigs there for the past years, so they know rightly when people have been buying pints, and when they haven't; that's all part of the job when you're working at a bar. It doesn't matter how subtle you are with your cans, if you take your empties home with you, whatever. The bar staff are sober, and they will know what's going on. They might not know exactly how much, who's done it, or even be able to prove it, but that doesn't matter. They will know it's happening, they might not even care so much, but eventually when it all comes down to the matter of continuing with gigs there or not, the owner will just say to someone "do you think lots of people are still drinking cans there?", they'll say "probably" and that'll be that.
In my opinion, all the people here who are talking about getting away with drinking cans are only fooling themselves.

I tell you this now, if I was working in the Lower Deck, it would be blatantly obvious to me that people were bringing their own drink in with them and not buying pints there. Even if you don't see a can being poured, all you need to do is think of how many pints have been sold that night, and watch how many people have been continually drinking all night, and think about how many people have bags with them that could hold a bunch of cans, and there's no doubt about what's going on.
We all know the Lower Deck have known about this for years, this thread's been popping up every six months for years, but they've been quite patient and they're going to get fed up at some point.
I don't see how making it all "less obvious" is going to make a difference to that.

If people really care about continuing with gigs in the Lower Deck, they will stop drinking cans there altogether, and just buy a few pints instead. Even someone on the dole can afford to buy a few pints in there once a week, especially considering that (I'm told) pints there are actually fairly reasonably priced for Dublin. And there's plenty of people that live nearby who would just drink before they go to the venue and save some for when they get home, and not really bother with it in the venue itself.

Still, I think it's much more likely that people will just continue to piss in their own back yard because they don't really give a shit. That's what punks usually do anyway.

If I was booking a lot of gigs in the Lower Deck right now, I'd start looking for another venue to do it already, so that when the Lower Deck give up there'd still be somewhere else I could use easily enough.

dead fuckin right cormac lad, ive being talkin ta the owner there a few times , seems like a sound aul' skin. likes chating about the g.a.a anyway. but I reckon hes been in the game long enough to know if theres 100 people or whatever in the bar upon an evening, I reckon hed have a fairly good idea of what his takings should be. At the end of the day if he'd make more money putting on morris dancing instead of punk why the fuck shouldnt he. this being more sneaky shite is bollox if ya cant afford to go out drinking ...dont go out drinking or get yerself a getto blaster , a crass tape, some mates, an alley and a few praskeys and hey presto yer now punker then you would ever be in the lower deck anyway

One way or another if it keeps up the gig is fucked.

It was only 9 years ago when ALL GIGS STOPPED IN DUBLIN.
In fairness, it wasn't due to cans, but still.
DO THE KIDS REMEMBER THOSE DAYS I ASK YOU?

This is like Global Warming for punks!
We've all got to do our bit!

Lads, yer man Liam loves GAA and thinks punk music is "awful bollocks". Its pretty obvious what we need to do:
story_flynn_colour.jpg

A barrage of showbands covers nights - he'd fuckin love it and I reckon itd secure the place for at least another year.
big_tom.jpg

Bagsy been Big Tom though, who wants to be my Mainliners?

I'll be your mainliner anyday. Do ya think he'd be into the Good Time Fun Boys?

Lads, yer man Liam loves GAA and thinks punk music is "awful bollocks". Its pretty obvious what we need to do:
story_flynn_colour.jpg

A barrage of showbands covers nights - he'd fuckin love it and I reckon itd secure the place for at least another year.
big_tom.jpg

Bagsy been Big Tom though, who wants to be my Mainliners?

he banned the anthem though maybe some deal could be arranged if he plays
amhran na bhfiann after gigs ,cans would be stopped or failing that at least
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

yeah last night was grand. they seemed pretty happy with the money taken at the bar and i didn't get a word of hassle. wahey!
there was no obvious cannage, although i'm sure cans were had, but i'm happy enough with that.

keep it stealthy lads!

yeah last night was grand. they seemed pretty happy with the money taken at the bar and i didn't get a word of hassle. wahey!
there was no obvious cannage, although i'm sure cans were had, but i'm happy enough with that.

keep it stealthy lads!

she's right you know! yeah the situation was good at the lower deck last night however the same cant be said for the bohs gig, fuckin tons of cans in the laneway outside :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back