Bicycle courier jobs (2 Viewers)

nlgbbbblth said:
Brian

do you ever see Raleigh Roadrunners nowadays?

24" wheel.

No not at all and we get some really old bikes passing through.
What are they like?
Are they those mini-racers from about 15 years ago?

brianoak said:
No not at all and we get some really old bikes passing through.
What are they like?
Are they those mini-racers from about 15 years ago?

Straight handlebars.

Painted black and green with a cheap roadrunner logo.

1980 was when I got mine.

Came off the handlebars at a four-way junction after flying down a hill and being 'dared' to pull the front brake first.

Bleeding mouth.

brianoak said:
Its usually down to the length of your top tube.Even if your frame fits you leg wise it wont neccacarily be the right length for you.

thats why a lot bike manufactureres have Women Specific Geometry i.e shorter top tube and shorter stem.

What size is your bike?

Riser bars and a 120mm with 45 degree rise stem might sort it out for you.

I dont know what size the bike is, probably too big I guess. Yeah the leg fit is prefect but it does seem too long...
Might give changing the bars a shot before I give up on it. Thought about that but never got round to it. I can't afford a new bike yet anyway.
I'd love to put on those oldie-style bars where it feels like you're pushing a wheelbarrow. If I could get some.
would look hilarious.

Broadband killed the bicycle courier

There was a time not so long ago when tattoos, cut-off shorts and shoulder satchels appeared to rule Sydney's streets.

It was the late 1990s, the dotcom boom was in full swing and hundreds of bicycle couriers roamed the central business district at will, pausing for no man - or red light.

So hectored were pedestrians by wheel-borne urban cowboys that in 2002 the City of Sydney pressured bicycle courier companies to sign an accord, in which they promised to refrain from intimidating or endangering other road users.

Four years on, bicycle couriers have become the endangered species, their numbers dwindling in the face of an ever-greater take-up of high-speed internet, PDF files, digital photography and audio.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/technology/broadband-killed-the-bicycle-courier/2006/07/17/1152988453677.html"

Damon_Kind said:
I'd say a female cycle couriers 'front toilet' would have the stink lines and everything.

I'll beg to differ, the only stink lines are firmly and proudly exuded by my
arse, much in the manner of those of the male courier.

Goff, the fact that you point out that the contra flow bus lane is illegal to be in for cyclists is perfectly true.
Other places where I illegaly cycle is the new foot bridge leading into the IFSC, both sides of the river sport cycle lanes running along side it (quite rightly as the path is wide enough) so it doesn't make sense for the bridge, which could also easily acommodate a bike lane, to be pedestrians only.
Cyclist are expected to cross the next bridge up which features the main drag of articulated lorries who don't stay in lane and often speed up a cyclists arse revving their engines.

How is it ok for infra structure ensuring the safe passage of pedestrians to be in place and cyclist are expected (by law !!) to stay in cycle lanes, where available.
These are not maintained all the rubble is pushed to the side of the road i/e glass.
massive potholes, storm drains, and more leaving the cyclist swerving wildly in and out of these lanes which are dropped willy nilly around the city as an afterthought and vague nod to cyclists.

Pedestrians are never penalised by cops even when one is standing right there, for walking right out in front of a cyclist forcing us to swerve into oncoming traffic.

The fact that people get so angry at cyclist for belting down the street and on paths (I always cycle extra slowly here in case of little kids running out in front of you or 'the elderly' who I hear snap very easiely). rather than getting angry at the city that plans roads that are completely anti-cyclist for the most part.

Dublin should be set up like most dutch city's bike friendly because it's the most space efficient and environmentally friendly way to get quickly from A to B.

Oh I could go on check out these guys http://home.connect.ie/dcc/aboutus.html
who say at so much better.

sorry about the rant.

For the person who started this thread go to the eirecore for courier job info, they were pretty much on the money there.

When cycle lanes are safe-I'll use them. As it is,I feel far safer riding in traffic.
My experience of cycling in dublin is that the rules of the road to not take cyclist safety into consideration. My life is far more important that stupid lines on roads.

Slightly related question,why do cars have indicator lights in ireland(dublin anyway)surely,considering how rarely they are used,they should be an optional extra.

GARYXKNIFEDX said:
When cycle lanes are safe-I'll use them. As it is,I feel far safer riding in traffic.
My experience of cycling in dublin is that the rules of the road to not take cyclist safety into consideration. My life is far more important that stupid lines on roads.

they are good for commuters, helps them feel slightly safer, but the quality of them varies a ridiculous amount, worst example the bit of cycle lane on upper leeson st heading towards leeson bridge, like an earthquake hit.. I always just cycle smack bang in the middle of the car lanes.

Or,with lamp posts in the middle of them,or up and down curbs or as you've already stated,full of glass and other debris.
The other problem is they cause drivers to think that a bike should be nowhere else. Does that mean a bike can't turn right? Last time I checked bike lanes only followed corners,sometimes,to the left.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back