2014 releases worth a listen.. (2 Viewers)

Enjoying this new Beck record a lot. Simple, melodic songs but lots of sonic stuff going on underneath to keep it interesting. Comes alive when you crank it or listen on headphones ...

First Listen: Beck, 'Morning Phase' : NPR

It's great; I'm really enjoying it. the production is amazing on it.

Also for fans of all things jangly, the new Real Estate album is great too.

Beak have digitally released what they're calling a bonus album of tracks taken from the damn brilliant >> album from 2012, i think

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Dereck Higgins - Flyover. He's a record collector/musician who posts videos on Youtube. Gets a bit deep sometimes. This is an album of his. It's actually pretty good. Sounds like german electronic music from 1982.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sun Kil Moon's Benji is one of the best albums I've heard in a long while, possibly ever. (contrary to my all recent music is shit tirade in another thread).

It's almost a talking blues type record. The songs are beautifully recorded and played but their structures for the most part seem thrown together and Kozelek seems happy in most of the songs to change tack part of the way through either musically or subject matter-wise. The style differs from song to song, from downbeat acoustic stuff to upbeat r 'n' b stompers. The likes of "Jim Wise" echos the Eels or Beatles' macabre lullabies.

Kozelek just speaks from the heart and in places it is heartbreaking, in other places blackly comic, his catalogued sexual history in "Dogs" particularly so. He manages to dance right on the line of bathos and farce in many of the songs without ever crossing over. The lyrics read like Kozelek's diary entries in places or a yarn a pal in a pub might tell. Someone over on Pitchfork reviewed it and they claim that as best they can ascertain everything Kozelek says and everyone mentioned exists or existed. He mentions childhood vignettes, his family, albums, characters he has encountered down the years, and gives an insight into the mundane nature of his touring life.

"Pray For Newtown" is a highlight for me, although it is hard to listen to. It's the sort of song Bruce Springsteen wishes he could write any more albeit devoid of most of the bombast associated with his brand of song. It is angry, sad, desperate and it so easily could descend into mawkishness given the subject matter but somehow doesn't stopping within spitting distance of it. The lyric "There were shootings in a Portland mall. It was everyday America and that's all" gets me with its simplicity and resignation.

I can't think of a song on it that I don't like although it is sometimes difficult to listen to if you're not in the mood. When a song seems to flag he manages to pull out another killer line.

Sun Kil Moon's Benji is one of the best albums I've heard in a long while, possibly ever. (contrary to my all recent music is shit tirade in another thread).

It's almost a talking blues type record. The songs are beautifully recorded and played but their structures for the most part seem thrown together and Kozelek seems happy in most of the songs to change tack part of the way through either musically or subject matter-wise. The style differs from song to song, from downbeat acoustic stuff to upbeat r 'n' b stompers. The likes of "Jim Wise" echos the Eels or Beatles' macabre lullabies.

Kozelek just speaks from the heart and in places it is heartbreaking, in other places blackly comic, his catalogued sexual history in "Dogs" particularly so. He manages to dance right on the line of bathos and farce in many of the songs without ever crossing over. The lyrics read like Kozelek's diary entries in places or a yarn a pal in a pub might tell. Someone over on Pitchfork reviewed it and they claim that as best they can ascertain everything Kozelek says and everyone mentioned exists or existed. He mentions childhood vignettes, his family, albums, characters he has encountered down the years, and gives an insight into the mundane nature of his touring life.

"Pray For Newtown" is a highlight for me, although it is hard to listen to. It's the sort of song Bruce Springsteen wishes he could write any more albeit devoid of most of the bombast associated with his brand of song. It is angry, sad, desperate and it so easily could descend into mawkishness given the subject matter but somehow doesn't stopping within spitting distance of it. The lyric "There were shootings in a Portland mall. It was everyday America and that's all" gets me with its simplicity and resignation.

I can't think of a song on it that I don't like although it is sometimes difficult to listen to if you're not in the mood. When a song seems to flag he manages to pull out another killer line.

There's a tune off this on the most recent Uncut cover CD, think it's called Michelene. I gotta say, the lyrics caught me off guard. Especially the verse about his friend Bret. I've listened to it over and over since last week. Amazing song. Must pick up the album

There's a tune off this on the most recent Uncut cover CD, think it's called Michelene. I gotta say, the lyrics caught me off guard. Especially the verse about his friend Bret. I've listened to it over and over since last week. Amazing song. Must pick up the album

Yeah Michelene is fantastic too.

I'm as big a Kozelek fan that there is but fuck me this album is hard work.

I agree that its wonderful but I feel knackered after listening to it right through.

This is out today and is pretty decent on first listen.

First Listen: Perfect Pussy, 'Say Yes To Love' : NPR

Lest we forget: they have a very attractive lead singer and that's ultimately the only important thing

perfectpussy_wide-b2314ed3e9e7a4a8df2bee396ecaab5be9cd9e0e-s40-c85.jpg

Last edited:
Seriously though, it's a good shouty noise-pop album and well worth a listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back