2014 releases worth a listen.. (1 Viewer)

dunderhead

these threads usually wilt away but might aswell see if this throws up anything interesting

bought my first 2014 release online earlier. admittedly, i've only heard a couple of tracks on soundcloud but seems promising. (technically a 2013 release but apparently was only released as 50 cassettes opr something)

Negra Branca - NB. girl from Manchester crowd, Gnod.

would imagine this appealing to fans of Gnod anyway, also White Wills. or as one review I read said, Peaking Lights or Hype Williams. layered vocals, noisy guitar effects in a fairly abrasive ambient style. based on the two tracks below anyway. take from it what you will..

https://soundcloud.com/negrabranca

I haven't bought anything yet this year but I listened to the warpaint album stream 4 times yesterday. I also listenened to streams of the following;

- new st.vincent single (and one other track that shes made available)
- new Real Estate single
- sampler of the new Liars album (sounds fantastic)
- new springsteen single (haven't gotten around to the whole album yet).
- some of the new september girls album and it sounds great.

I'm sure theres more that I can't think of. Have been streaming a lot lately.

I'm mainly looking forward to the St Vincent album so far.

stumbled onto this person, she seems decent in a recommended by pitchfork kind of way.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

supported Bonnie Prince Sadface last time he played here?

new album out in february anyways

Last edited:
I'm mainly looking forward to the St Vincent album so far.

stumbled onto this person, she seems decent in a recommended by pitchfork kind of way.

supported Bonnie Prince Sadface last time he played here?

new album out in february anyways

the last time he played here? Was that other lad he was playing with not the support act that time?

or maybe hes been here since then. Hard to keep up with him.

I'll get the september girls one anyway. I had a listen on itunes.I think some of the reviews might be a tough generous, but we'll see. I like that reverb drenched thing but sometimes it can just become a sound and you almost don't notice the songs. I got an album last year, White Poppy. Shoegazey, female vocals, hazy production, loads of reverb. Had a few listens, can't remember any of it.

I'll get the september girls one anyway. I had a listen on itunes.I think some of the reviews might be a tough generous, but we'll see. I like that reverb drenched thing but sometimes it can just become a sound and you almost don't notice the songs. I got an album last year, White Poppy. Shoegazey, female vocals, hazy production, loads of reverb. Had a few listens, can't remember any of it.
go see them live. The songs are a little more stripped back and are far more accessible (if thats the right word)

Nils Frahm ,Spaces ,on erased tapes

mind-drone3_front_300px.jpg
DRONE-MIND // MIND-DRONE Vol. 3
Third instalment of this series of four way split lp's

I'll get the september girls one anyway. I had a listen on itunes.I think some of the reviews might be a tough generous,

I don't know, any reviews I've seen have been along the lines of "I can't decide whether giving them a good review makes me look like a hipster or giving them a bad review makes me look out of touch. Here's a middling one."

this thread is good for me as I'm usually terrible at listening to new music; I'm very out of touch with currenty stuff.
Only 2014 release I've bought so far is the Gloaming lp. There's that Lucinda Williams debut album reissue I'd like to get.
Am looking forward to Damon Albarn's solo lp - not due till feckin' April though.
I'm sure there's more.

I don't know, any reviews I've seen have been along the lines of "I can't decide whether giving them a good review makes me look like a hipster or giving them a bad review makes me look out of touch. Here's a middling one."

I've given it a good few listens now and I think it's really good (I'm not just saying that because I want to be a hipster, which I'd love to be btw) They have other songs which they should have put on the album, Hells bells for one.

these threads usually wilt away but might aswell see if this throws up anything interesting

bought my first 2014 release online earlier. admittedly, i've only heard a couple of tracks on soundcloud but seems promising. (technically a 2013 release but apparently was only released as 50 cassettes opr something)

Negra Branca - NB. girl from Manchester crowd, Gnod.

would imagine this appealing to fans of Gnod anyway, also White Wills. or as one review I read said, Peaking Lights or Hype Williams. layered vocals, noisy guitar effects in a fairly abrasive ambient style. based on the two tracks below anyway. take from it what you will..

Negra Branca's sounds on SoundCloud - Hear the world’s sounds

this is very good. defo for fans of peaking lights/gnod. shoddiest packaging I own though. not that it matters. sleeve is the gnod lp, in gnod we trust, turned inside out and taped together, badly. artwork is on crappy cut to fit a3 paper and there seems to be shit/mud smeared on the bottom of the sleeve. having said that, putting this stuff together costs hefty enough cash so understandable if corners are to be cut. most importantly, sounds great.

Really digging this new record from Vulkano who I had never heard of until this morning. Swedish two-piece post punk riot grrl group.

vulkano-live-wild-die-free-2014.jpg

July - Marissa Nadler

Sparse, goth-tinged folk. Not a million miles from Chelsea Wolfe but I think I like this a lot more. Has some sort of associations with the Sunn/experimental metal crowd. Reverb-drenched production by Randall Dunne.

I'd never heard any of the war on drugs' stuff until last week, but now im looking forward to their new one. then i do love tom petty and ryan adams.

Nebelung - palingenesis

THO-SO-AA ,lpzg/blgm Live lp

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back