Damien Dempsey (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter egg_
  • Start date
  • Replies 90
  • Views 9K
  • Watchers 7
Originally posted by egg_
Here's what I think, revised:
We resent The Frames because we think our bands are better than them, but our own bands are less successful - we don't think they deserve what they have (or we think if they do deserve it, then we deserve more), therefore we cast aspersions. We don't mind Will Oldham being successful because he is better than us.
So, not direct jealousy, but a kind of jealousy-based thing all the same

i resent the frames 'cos i think there are plenty of other irish acts that are as good and deserve the same exposure. personally i'm sick of hearing and reading how the frames are the vanguard of irish independent music. i'd not have a go at glen hansard for this reason though.

Originally posted by conor
i resent the frames 'cos i think there are plenty of other irish acts that are as good and deserve the same exposure.

and i do realise it sounds a bit petty.
but it's one of the main reasons i'm involved with TYM, i'd like to think that some people that go to frames and mogwai concerts might get into some of the local acts if they were exposed to them more. it happened to me.

Originally posted by egg_
So, you're saying we lionise the people who make the music we like, and pour scorn on the people who make music we don't like?

P'raps you're right - still, making judgements on people's personalities based on the quality of their musical output is pretty fucking lame. Some of the best people I know don't make music at all - how am supposed to know whether I like them or not?

Here's what I think, revised:
We resent The Frames because we think our bands are better than them, but our own bands are less successful - we don't think they deserve what they have (or we think if they do deserve it, then we deserve more), therefore we cast aspersions. We don't mind Will Oldham being successful because he is better than us.
So, not direct jealousy, but a kind of jealousy-based thing all the same

You're wrong. Why can't you just admit that you're wrong and get on with things. There are a lot of other areas of your life at which you can excel(tm), I dunno, maybe try the 'shushing' thread. That was a ball.

You're a nice guy egg, but you're in waaaaay over your head here.

(before anyone gets their knickers in twist, I'm sorta half joking).

By the way, I would prefer Damo over the Frames. Although it's like choosing between two apples that have past their sell-by date. Not that either of them were much better in the past. Ahhh, I have so much hate. C'mon Madrid!

There are greater bands than The Frames but there are many many worse. Glen Hansard representing Irish music is a monumental step up from Smiley Bolger or Mike Ryan. He seems like a good bloke and has my eternal repect for resurrecting his band from the corporate mortuary to be a thing of sincere celebration. And making him out to be usurping Leagues in his own territory is akin to screaming "You're not my Mom!!". Not that I'm suggesting that there should be no criticism, just that the vitriol is unnecessary.

Eat fuck. Suck Coke. My Uncle is a slut.

Mike Ryan is my Dads' name.
What's wrong with ye complainin' Dublin bastards anyway? I thought all your bands lived in the same neighbourhood as Glen and went around to his house for tea.
Don't ye think he's like..the Godfather of Dublin music? he is. He's like a figurehead for Dublin's independent music scene. Isn't He? He is.

I personally dislike the Frames because, every year, and i mean every fucking year, they come along and play at the fucking UL Rag Week. 90% of that place go completely nuts and act like it's the second coming of Christ. I'm not joking, this has been for the past 7 years or something. This is the only music these people listen to...or is it?

No
It is not.
they listen to mundy / paddy casey/ david gray/ the frames. *

It's frustrating. It's all these people want to know about. They will NOT venture outside the gates of the college to go to one of the many independently run gigs in town. Sure why would when they have the Frames once a cocking year! I like some Frames songs, ireally do, but sometimes i like to, well, you know, NOT COCKING LISTEN TO THE FRAMES

I'm not generalising here.

Now, i want you all to ring Glen and tell him the nasty things ye've been saying, because i know you all have his number in your phones because you all love him really and you're all independent undergound Dublin chums and you all share the same toothbrush

:D

what beats me is why people get so annoyed... i mean how much real impact does he have on what any of us (who post on this board) do? people tend to go for the easy option, it's hardly news like...

Originally posted by Vinnie
There are greater bands than The Frames but there are many many worse. Glen Hansard representing Irish music is a monumental step up from Smiley Bolger or Mike Ryan. He seems like a good bloke and has my eternal repect for resurrecting his band from the corporate mortuary to be a thing of sincere celebration. And making him out to be usurping Leagues in his own territory is akin to screaming "You're not my Mom!!". Not that I'm suggesting that there should be no criticism, just that the vitriol is unnecessary.

Eat fuck. Suck Coke. My Uncle is a slut.

I caught a bit of this magnificent muppet yesterday in tower, [Thick dublin accent] "at Grouind Zeero they found thoirty claada rings"[Thick dublin accent/] then sings a song like christy moore would sing'em. I ain't sayin nuttin.......except that he's shit.

I caught a bit of this magnificent muppet yesterday in tower, [Thick dublin accent] "at Grouind Zeero they found thoirty claada rings"[Thick dublin accent/] then sings a song like christy moore would sing'em. I ain't sayin nuttin.......except that he's shit.

I'm as big a music snob as they come and I fucking ADORE Damo. I won't have a bad word said about him.

Imagine singing in a "thick Dublin accent" because he's from Donabate. Fuck off you absolute wanker.

I LOVE DAMIEN DEMPSEY

with all my heart

that is all

I do too. I had no interest until last summer and a girl I was seeing played one of his albums. I rolled my eyes but she played it another couple of times over the weeks and I realised that this was the singer I'd been waiting all my life for. The Beach Boys and Neil Young are great for what they are but when you have a fella singing about going down Kilbarrack Road and heading for the coast....that's something different entirely.

I do too. I had no interest until last summer and a girl I was seeing played one of his albums. I rolled my eyes but she played it another couple of times over the weeks and I realised that this was the singer I'd been waiting all my life for. The Beach Boys and Neil Young are great for what they are but when you have a fella singing about going down Kilbarrack Road and heading for the coast....that's something different entirely.

Ok. I'm gonna go listen so, been putting off properly listening to him for years

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back