Damien Dempsey (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter egg_
  • Start date
  • Replies 90
  • Views 9K
  • Watchers 7
I reckon I'll buy this - he's an excellent songwriter and a fine performer too - apparently his first album is only available in 1 dublin shop - if this is true we could ask him if he wants on the things distro.

I doubt it. He's on Sony now. The album is good but it's too bloody polished. Underneath it all it's a wonderful folk protest album but the production takes away from the sincerity of it all.

Also, John Reynolds gets a production credit on the single. Careful now.

Originally posted by Vinnie
I doubt it. He's on Sony now. The album is good but it's too bloody polished. Underneath it all it's a wonderful folk protest album but the production takes away from the sincerity of it all.

Also, John Reynolds gets a production credit on the single. Careful now.

On Sony! bu, bu, but what about the revolution. I was wondering where he got the money for those posters around towin.

I'll take a John Reynolds production credit ANYDAY. He's done some great stuff!

While we need more people saying the things that Damo (I've been here 8 months now, do I get to call him Damo now?) sings about, we don't need the cringe factor he brings to the way he says it. Its so damn obvious. What he's on about is great, but I feel like I'm being entertained by a simpleton trying to enlighten us.

I've seen him perform twice. The first time I was stunned, like watching a car accident...the second time I got the giggles. I will say that the second time he had Sinéad's backing band who were fucking amazing so his songs were not as boring as the first time he played with just his guitar. It was like they took pity on him while on tour and said "Here, let us help you so you don't alienate the audience for us."

He is completely serious when he sings "I won't let your negative vibes, thoughts and comments get into my psyche and cripple me." Or whatever it is... Not even a glimmer of humour there...give me a break.

He seems unable to laugh at himself and I just can't handle it.

I thought you Dubs didn't like self-rightousness. Explain Cormac, please. Ronan? Sinéad?

He looks hot on the posters though.

Love,

Tomo

Originally posted by stunning
I feel like I'm being entertained by a simpleton trying to enlighten us.

bang on the money!

damo reminds me of this joke i heard about a northsider who was involved in a car crash. when the ambulance came along they asked her "where are you bleeding from?", she said "Ballymun".

must have been a southside ambulance driver. fucking prick.

He seems unable to laugh at himself and I just can't handle it.

I thought you Dubs didn't like self-rightousness. Explain Cormac, please. Ronan? Sinéad?

He looks hot on the posters though.

Love,

Tomo

I get a bit bored after 2 or 3 of his songs. Saw him live twice now and I wasn't close to being exited. Good lyrics though, in a few songs.

we don't need the cringe factor he brings to the way he says it ... "I won't let your negative vibes, thoughts and comments get into my psyche and cripple me."

Some of his Irish victim type songs irritate me alright - NYC Paddy and the like ... heard Luka Bloom telling a story once about an Armenian taxi driver telling him he didn't have much time for Irish people cos "the Irish think they're the only people who've ever suffered". That's kinda how I feel about it too ... and as you may know I'm very much anti-nationalist etc etc so you obviously I don't want to listen to songs about 'the Irish people'

But leave out his Paddy songs and I'd listen to Damo all night. I can't stand the traditional heartfelt Dublin singer-songwriter buzz, but Damo transcends all that for me. I don't think he's lacking in humour at all (he's got some straight up funny songs), and his absolute conviction when singing lines that would be laughable coming from the likes of Paddy Casey sends shivers down my spine every time. He's not 'clever', but he's unique and he's got It in fucking spades
IMHO

Re: dempsey

Originally posted by thegoone
is that the same dempsey the northside rapper
"goin dowin te dubelin towin' " etc. ?

Arf! :p

um, don't think so... anyway, whatever happened to him, eh? His stuff was class, honest and seminal inner city rap. There was one shiny tracksuit who knew how to keep it real.

i've found myself liking this Damien Dempsey fella very much, very much to my surprise... his song titles, his brain, all deadly buzz.

Re: dempsey

Originally posted by thegoone
is that the same dempsey the northside rapper
"goin dowin te dubelin towin' " etc. ?

It is and, believe it or not, that same song (absolutely dire on that single) is fucking brilliant live.

hey hag my wife thinks your signature is the funniest thing ever

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back