blah blah..Amebix..blah blah..reunion..blah.. (12 Viewers)

The problem isn't bands asking for money, it's the promoters who take the money, pay
the bands a fraction and keep the rest for themselves.
It seems that promoters can keep whatever percentage of the door as long as a band
doesn't ask for a guarantee of the takings - even though it's the band and not the
promoters who the crowd want to see!
Classic punk rock hypocrisy.
It's such a shame Amebix pulled out.
I would have loved to see those rich cunts kick out a few of their million year old tunes.

So? There are bands out there formed by people that still hold a job or are in full time education, have kids and whatnot but still tour and release records. It's not impossible, you know.

That post by Amebix is a load of wank. There's one line there that says everything that needs to be said:

we costed it all up and decided that we wanted to come back with X amount in our pockets

So basically, they wouldn't be touring at all if there wasn't a certain amount of cash in it for them. They wouldn't have reformed at all if they weren't getting money out of it. Which means that their reformation tour isn't about wanting to play music to people for the love of it, it's about getting some cash out of it.
It's one thing to want to make something financially viable, but the statement by Amebix gives no feeling of a love of music. All it implies is a desire to tour around, playing big venues with a big lighting show, and getting paid a big guarantee for it. ROCK STAR BULLSHIT.
It's quite possible to tour the world in a viable manner without all this fucking crap attached to it. There are countless other actual punk and DIY bands out there doing exactly that.
The overall impression Amebix give here is an interest in money over music. Once you develop that kind of attitude, you've just become part of the music industry, part of everything that a DIY punk attitude is meant to be against.
Fuck 'em, no sympathy here.

If they were really comfortable about "x amount", then they'd post details as to what x amount is, costs they have to cover, etc etc etc.
Seems they don't want people to know any of that information for some reason though.

Give it some hatred.

Give it some herpes even. i'm just pissed off that i wont get to see them doing all the early singles and no sanctuary etc that they appear to have resurrected into the set,cos when i seen em it was only stuff off arise and monolith.all the bullshit aside,they appear to be a better live band now judging by the youtube vids.I seen em twice and to be honest they were a bit dissapointing.Right, back to the row.....:)

If they were really comfortable about "x amount", then they'd post details as to what x amount is, costs they have to cover, etc etc etc.
Seems they don't want people to know any of that information for some reason though.

maybe cos its their own buisness.

I think people in bands shouldn't have jobs if they can't take time off.
I couldn't give a fuck what bills they have to pay.
Punk is like the mafia - THERE'S NO WAY OUT UNLESS SOMEONE MAKES THE DECISION FOR YOU.
If someone's in a band that is considered punk then both myself and the global punk scene own their souls.
They adhere to our rules all the fucking time OR THEY'RE JUST NOT PUNK ANYMORE.
WE'LL ALL BE SCRUBBING THEIR TIPEXED NAME OFF OUR JACKETS UNLESS THEY CONFORM
That's not a meaningless threat - I FUCKING MEAN IT.

maybe cos its their own buisness.

It's an issue which is causing them to cancel gigs and is obviously something that needs clarified to people. If they want people to think they are operating in a DIY manner, then they shouldn't have a problem enlightening people as to the actual money, costs, etc. involved in each gig they are playing.

I think the whole question here is whether Amebix are giving the impression of operating in a DIY manner when they actually aren't.
To me it's quite obvious they are trying to give this impression whilst operating in a much more industry-influenced manner.

Personally, I think any band that places money above a love of the music they are playing shouldn't be playing music.

i want em to play so i can laugh when molly takes the stage to sing along and the baron (if that is his real name) gets pissed because molly knows the words better than he does 20years on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back