blah blah..Amebix..blah blah..reunion..blah.. (1 Viewer)

If you go through Amebix catalogue you will find numerous songs with references to being opposed to a militaristic capitalist system (songs released in the last decade of the Cold War of course). Lyrically they may not be as blunt as some of their contemporaries but on reading their lyrics the ideas behind the songs are quite obvious.

The statement on the Profane Existance message board says that they wanted to get a certain amount of money from the tour, that doesn't mean they specifically reformed to make money.. it's a bit of a leap to make that accusation... their lyrics are mostly about weird shit anyway- a roaming axeman coming to kill your children, a tale of drug addled woe, replacing battery animals with humans, disappointment and dispair... not really about anti-capitalism at all... I suggest you listen to some of their albums before you use their lyrics against them

It's undeniable though that their lyrics, whilst not being specifically against society at that time and capitalism, a lot of them are. It is undeniable that Amebix generally had lyrics that were quite 'political'.

And to prove my point about them using the DIY culture when they need it and then throw it away when they don't, just compare the following statement with how things have turned out to be:
Amebix was, if you like, using the anarchopunk movement as a vehicle to be able to release our records records.

I CAN'T BELIEVE THE BARON MAKES SWORDS
AND SELLS THEM FOR MONEY
FUCKING SELL OUT CUNT
IT USED TO BE ABOUT THE LOVE OF THE BLADE
BUT HE WOULDN'T BOTHER IF HE WASN'T GETTING PAID
MONEY GRABBING CUNT

As long as you believe a band should adhere to your principles, the more disappointed
you will be.

But don't you see?
Even though they are lyrically and musicwise nothing like an anarchopunk band, Amebix
are still an anarchopunk band because anarchopunx like them for some reason.
So what the fuck is the story with the Baron selling swords for, literally, hundreds of
pounds?
If you analyse the lyrics you can come to the conclusion that they state, quite
clearly, that everything they create from that point onwards would be less than £20.
That includes records, tshirts, gigs and ANYTHING ELSE THEY CREATE.
Anarchopunk band = OWNED BY ANARCHOPUNX
I'm fucking outraged that he'd go behind our backs and make something worth so much
money.
HAS HE NO SHAME?

i'd say if some of the people on here who wanted to see them went for it they could do this themselves.

subhumans in voodoo for example of similar band was €15 / 12.50 concessions and pulled a huge crowd so if you do the maths thats not far off what would be needed for amebix.

if good enough for subhumans why not amebix?

wouldnt do it meself mind - enough going on - but defo possible for someone here to do.

cormac? i know a big enough rarely used venue on a bus route

Lyrically they are not like an anarchopunk band? Are you joking?
I didn't hear any lyrics where they talk about a non-hierarchical group of
middle class students with iPods deciding over a coffee how the country
should be composed of small, co-operative, independent communities
of mohicaned punks drinking flagons around a bonfire.
Which song was that again?

I didn't hear any lyrics where they talk about a non-hierarchical group of
middle class students with iPods deciding over a coffee how the country
should be composed of small, co-operative, independent communities
of mohicaned punks drinking flagons around a bonfire.
Which song was that again?

Just because they are not write lyrics that are quite obviously like that does not mean they do not have anarchopunk-style lyrics. Come on now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back