you're so money (1 Viewer)

i doubt it was their specific interntion in fairness. don't just call them assholes on that presumption. it's not like they were rubbing their hands with glee at the thought of ripping off a charity.
and anyway, as was already pointed out, the sabbath will most likely sell out - so the CHARITY will be getting maximum profit even if this vicar st gig goes ahead.

as far as i remember the vicar st thing was mooted by hag on this board ageeees ago - all these bands were going to do a few gigs around the country so they ain't trying to take anything away from sabbath. and sabbath will still sell out anyways.

you say:
but the point is that the sabbath is for CHARITY and if the vicar street gig goes ahead then the CHARITY may not make as much money as it could have. its a simple case of principles. to book a gig with the specific intention to rival a charity gig is just an asshole thing to do.[/quote]

and i say:tomato toemayto lets call the whole thing off! but seriously, by your reckoning then, anyone who has organised a gig for that weekend be it mr MCD or the likes is doing an asshole thing? thats a bit rich! i think the two will go off without a hitch and do you know why? because both promoters will sell their souls to the media god in return for total saturation of everyone's attention.
dont blame the bands blame it on the boogie:)

I just read what all of that thread and here's what i think.
If none of the gigs were for charity then there would be no complaints from anybody,right?But one of them is,so obviously they would like to raise the maximum amount of cash.

If the sabbath gig doesn't sell out and there is a big crowd in the vic,then the organisers of the vic gig should feel a little guilty knowing that it was their gig that took away from the sabbath.However,general opinion on the board seems to be that the sabbath will sell-out regardless.I suggest we stop arguing about it,then if the sabbath doesn't sell out,we start a new thread calling for a public inquiry and maybe a tribunal.But seriously,the sabbath will be full so stop worrying people.
By the way,seen Do Make Say Think last night,fuckin amazin'.

hello all, at this point we'd really like to clear a few things up. we booked whelans for the sabbath back in january. we immediately approached a number of bands about doing it, as well as contacting the rape crisis centre. pretty soon after, our headline bands confirmed that they'd play. all good.

some time in feb, john from whelans rang us - he wanted to know if we would mind if he offered the rednecks a gig for the friday of that weekend. we of course did not. some time in march, around when we were putting the finishing touches to the bill, we heard that a gig had been booked for the day before involving the rednecks, c4o, damien frost etc., and we were a little worried about how the two gigs would effect each other. we knew we had to keep the bills fairly different. about a week later we heard that the gig on the fourth was off because the white stripes had been announced for dublin castle. we announced our line-up, put our tickets on sale, put up posters; at which point ian from c4o contacted us about them playing. we said yes. then three days ago we met glen on the street, we were talking about the sabbath and he mentioned the vicar street gig, saying it had just been confirmed on monday. before that we didn't know that the gig was still planned.

at the end of the day, we organised the sabbath to raise as much money as we could for a really underfunded and overlooked charity. and because we thought it'd be fun to put on an all day gig, with a bunch of great bands. it's something both of us have wanted to do for a long time and with the birth of THINGS, we thought the timing was right. in our initial contact with the bands involved we mentioned the idea of doing something as a community for a good cause...

we didn't want to start a war. we don't want anyone to feel they need to choose between the two gigs. to be honest the idea of a night of independent music in vicar street sounds great to us, it's just unfortunate timing for the two gigs. we hope that both are really successful.

NOW can i lock it?

Hasn't enough been said?

WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN?

actually i just want to throw my weight around, but don't tell anyone.

oh yeah dudley's on his way over to me in work

should i leave him waiting:

[#]5 minutes
[#]10 minutes
[#]30 minutes
[#]sneak out the back door

Lines close in 10 minutes

its amazing how well this escalated into a master debate:). all i wanted to know originally was 10 eurons worth it for the vicar? so is it?
steve&cat i reckon it wont escalate into hatred in all fairness just a rush of expressive energy before weekend multi-pints!mmmmmm...freee pints

pints pints pints pints pints....

steven stealberg (05 Apr, 2002 06:41 p.m.):
its amazing how well this escalated into a master debate:). all i wanted to know originally was 10 eurons worth it for the vicar? so is it?
steve&cat i reckon it wont escalate into hatred in all fairness just a rush of expressive energy before weekend multi-pints!mmmmmm...freee pints

pints pints pints pints pints....

PINTS OF FUCKIN' RED RAW ANGRY HATRED!!

i fell only hag's love.

is the thread closed yet? is it? is it?

one thing to consider:

all scene heads in dublin are students. well, a lot of them.

all finals are happening around now.

obviously, the national educational system is denying the rape crisis centre money, going by the logic on this thread.

see you at both gigs.

(i'm willing to pay 10 euros, by the way)

(that was the original question, wasn't it?)

anyone thought of trying to make both gigs into charity gigs and using the resultant moral pressure to make vicar st. reduce the price and/or contribute to the cause? thus reducing the price?

hmm... moral pressure... ah!

it's regrettable that both gigs are so close together but i believe that the line-ups are different enough to make the punters you're all concerned about want to go to both. we're going to make sure to advertise the hell out of the sabbath show at the gig. at the same time, i'm completely unsurprised that this amount of mis-informed backbiting has taken place, we live in dublin after all. i'm also glad it happened because it's shown a few people in their true light. we're doing the same gig in connolly's of leap on sat 11th of may, we initially planned this thing to be a tour over 4 or 6 weekends but because of exams and people going away, we're just doing 2 for the moment and hopefully picking it up again in mid-june with the intention to vary the mix of bands at each show. hopefully, we can time each show so they're in direct competition with worthy causes because that is, after all, what we're all about. but you knew that anyway. i guess it wouldn't be me if i didn't say something mean or whatever so, out of all the comments made what stays with me is how much of a dickhead hp is. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back