Your Favorite Kube Joints (Kubrick films)... (1 Viewer)

Here's one

I think I read it somewhere else too so it's not as contrived as it sounds - all about visual symmetry. Very nerdy stuff but I love that kind of crap.

Me too dude. I once read a book called 'Kubrick and the Aesthetics of Contingency' which was without doubt the most proto-nerdlinger analysis of his work that could ever be humanly possible. It took like a year to finish it.

'The left to right movement can be seen as the traditional way a character processes information. In the case of Full Metal Jacket it is the traditional way of military training that Drill Sergeant Hartman forces upon Private Pyle. The right to left movement is representative of the non-traditional way that Private Joker embraces to train Private Pyle. The left to right/right to left positions and movements of the characters are all in relation to how the viewer sees them on screen as Kubrick "puts his audience through its own training course....'

Mmmmmm...

Anybody else think that Shining is probably his worst film? Will never understand the love that it gets.
Also, if you don't think 2001 is his best yr probably a clown.

Anybody else think that Shining is probably his worst film? Will never understand the love that it gets.
Also, if you don't think 2001 is his best yr probably a clown.

I agree, I was a bit let down by the Shining. All that Stephen King spookiness - that would never happen.

Psycho computers and chimps gaining enlightenment from looking at a concrete wall, now - that would happen!

'The left to right movement can be seen as the traditional way a character processes information. In the case of Full Metal Jacket it is the traditional way of military training that Drill Sergeant Hartman forces upon Private Pyle. The right to left movement is representative of the non-traditional way that Private Joker embraces to train Private Pyle. The left to right/right to left positions and movements of the characters are all in relation to how the viewer sees them on screen as Kubrick "puts his audience through its own training course....'

Mmmmmm...

over-analysis at its most delicously obscene :)

I reckon it has something to do with it being one of the most original, prescient, unique and amazingly timeless masterpieces of all time that has never been bettered in it's genre, and one of the most defining moments in cinema history as well popular culture. Probably. ;)

It's alright, I suppose.

No, it's great. It's a bit cold, I find, but that's a criticism his films get a lot.

I just prefer a lot of his other films to 2001

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back