Worth getting an old Amiga? (1 Viewer)

It Will Never Last

I really wanted to buy The Secret of Monkey Island (PC) today off Ebay, but realised at the last minute that it was on 5.25" disks which is no usewith my ouny 3.5" drive.

I can get it for Amiga on Ebay as well, didn't somebody on here pick up an old Amiga recently? Worth doing?

I really wanted to buy The Secret of Monkey Island (PC) today off Ebay, but realised at the last minute that it was on 5.25" disks which is no usewith my ouny 3.5" drive.

I can get it for Amiga on Ebay as well, didn't somebody on here pick up an old Amiga recently? Worth doing?

I reckon I have all them on cd somewhere, if ya like!! Although you could just use scummvm. you can get the old monkey islands, broken sword, beneath a steal red sky, sam and max etc

http://www.scummvm.org/

I have the pc version of this on cd. I think that the music quality was much better on the amiga but the game is brill either way.
The PC CD one from the uh... "bounty pack" or whatever it was called had the best Monkey Island music I've heard. Although if you're playing MI with ScummVM, you need to either have the CD or have the music tracks ripped to MP3 before you'll get sound.

Added bonus: Choose "Amiga" from the platform drop-down in ScummVM for the full experience. Now you just need no date, a two litre bottle of shasta and an all-rush mix-tape, and you're in nostalgia heaven.

I've an amiga 600 i got on ebay last year if you want it. Never even got round to plugging it in. Good few games in with it aswell. e20 and it's yours.

Added bonus: Choose "Amiga" from the platform drop-down in ScummVM for the full experience. Now you just need no date, a two litre bottle of shasta and an all-rush mix-tape, and you're in nostalgia heaven.

Remember when you had to order games by POST and wait weeks for them to arrive? When we got Secret of MI my brother and I sat and played it until we'd finished the game. Ah, the memories.

This thread has inspired me to begin the MI adventures over... cue massive time wastage and big happy smiles :D

Jaysus, where did you live? I fondly remember buying Monkey Island from the computer section in Cleary's.

I can't remember the ending of the first MI. Or the third. Maybe it's time to fill that gap.

Jaysus, where did you live? I fondly remember buying Monkey Island from the computer section in Cleary's.

I can't remember the ending of the first MI. Or the third. Maybe it's time to fill that gap.

In County Carlow - but we used to pre-order them from the UK so... Definitely worth playing again.

5.25" disks? Don’t they work on Record Players?
Sure, who has one of THOSE nowadays….

Emmm... no, they were genuinely floppy disks in that lovely cardboard cover. Ah, the memories

While Monkey Island was indeed a brilliant game ("Look behind you, a three headed monkey!"), I don't think it's worth picking up on an Amiga again. I seem to remember there was a massive amount of disc swopping in places.

Emu route is probably the best way to go. I spent ages hunting down Kick Off 2 once, played it for an hour and then it was MEH. Seeing as that game kept me hypnotised for years but lost my interest in an hour, I reckon there's a fair chance you'd feel pretty gipped if you went to the hassle of buying an Amiga, setting it up and and all that shit. I rebought a spectrum 128k once. Plugged it in and after waiting 10 mins for a game to load, soon realised that an emulator was a much better option.

I find the whole retro experience is best spoken about, rather than re-experienced.

I always remember going to my mates house to play MI2 because he had an external disk drive, the 13 disks was a killer. Did love the pirate password wheel you got with it though, think it was called Dial-A-Pirate

mi1codewheel.jpg

I always remember going to my mates house to play MI2 because he had an external disk drive, the 13 disks was a killer. Did love the pirate password wheel you got with it though, think it was called Dial-A-Pirate

mi1codewheel.jpg

Jesus...! Too....much....nostalgia......

Remember the RoboCop 3 dongle???

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back