Worth a Read (1 Viewer)

The Tipping Point is fascinating.

Its pretty amazing how safe NYC is alright.
I have felt uncomfortable from "criminals" once, when I was riding the bike through Spanish Harlem, lost, in a roasting summer night during the blackout.
A guy shouted at me "getdafuckOUTTA HERE CRACKA".
And I did. And that's all there was it.

On the other hand I dont know how many times I have felt terrified of NYPD. I now treat the NYPD as a threatening dangerous gang that has to be avoided. The idea that their being total cunts is the reason for the low crime levels never seemed to make sense.
The theories set out in her essay might though.

Now the Pentagon tells Bush: climate change will destroy us
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2004/feb/22/usnews.theobserver

A secret report, suppressed by US defence chiefs and obtained by The Observer, warns that major European cities will be sunk beneath rising seas as Britain is plunged into a 'Siberian' climate by 2020. Nuclear conflict, mega-droughts, famine and widespread rioting will erupt across the world.
The document predicts that abrupt climate change could bring the planet to the edge of anarchy as countries develop a nuclear threat to defend and secure dwindling food, water and energy supplies. The threat to global stability vastly eclipses that of terrorism, say the few experts privy to its contents.
'Disruption and conflict will be endemic features of life,' concludes the Pentagon analysis. 'Once again, warfare would define human life.'
The findings will prove humiliating to the Bush administration, which has repeatedly denied that climate change even exists. Experts said that they will also make unsettling reading for a President who has insisted national defence is a priority.
The report was commissioned by influential Pentagon defence adviser Andrew Marshall, who has held considerable sway on US military thinking over the past three decades.

2020 is... you know, 12 years away.

i'm 99% sure i posted this on thumped about a year ago.... but I came across it again earlier.

i think it's non political. i think..

System failure: Why governments must learn to think differently

The scale and complexity of public services makes them impossible to understand and manage using the centralising tools of 'rational' policy-making. For real improvements in delivery, governments must instead embrace systems thinking.

The current model of public policy making is no longer right for a government that has set itself the challenge of delivery. Improvements are driven by central policy initiatives which assume a direct relationship between action and outcome – but this is a false assumption.

1. Introduction 23
2. Current policy-making 26
3. Systems thinking 34
4. Core systems concepts 38
5. Systems and modelling 45
6. Complex adaptive systems 51
7. Application to policy 64
8. Soft systems methodology 74
9. Obstacles to learning 78
10. Systems practice 86
Notes 95

http://www.demos.co.uk/publications/systemfailure2

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1719872,00.html
Interesting article in Time.

If asked to serve on a jury deliberating a violation of state or federal drug laws, we will vote to acquit, regardless of the evidence presented. Save for a prosecution in which acts of violence or intended violence are alleged, we will — to borrow Justice Harry Blackmun's manifesto against the death penalty — no longer tinker with the machinery of the drug war. No longer can we collaborate with a government that uses nonviolent drug offenses to fill prisons with its poorest, most damaged and most desperate citizens.
Jury nullification is American dissent, as old and as heralded as the 1735 trial of John Peter Zenger, who was acquitted of seditious libel against the royal governor of New York, and absent a government capable of repairing injustices, it is legitimate protest.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2008/mar/14/tonyblair.climatechange
Blair to lead campaign on climate change

Well done shit head. Welcome to the cozy Gore club.
A little late for startling insights now isn't it?
How about doing something about it when you could have.
Hopefully you'll get a Nobel prize for your efforts, and then we'll know they've all be worthwhile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back