• Thread starter RSJ
  • Start date
  • Replies 24
  • Views 2K
  • Watchers 2

RSJ

Website
www.gravelbox.net
Just emailed my old work to ask for a reference to use for applying to college in UK and getting jobs. Got this back in an email:

RSJ,

Hope all is going well for you and I wish you success with your course
application and your endeavours to get work in the UK. The policy at
***** in relation to references is to confirm start and finish dates
per attached. If further information is required then the company can
call your ex Manager directly.

Wishing you the best of luck and continued success.

XXXX.
The attatched "reference" just says "RSJ worked at **** from day x to day x as an electronic technician. If you have further questions, ring me on 555-666-666, regards, some dude".

Is there anything i can do here? Surely they're somehow obliged to give me a written reference? The manager can barely speak english (he's from mayo) so even if he tried to give me a good phone reference, he'd fuck it up, but even that aside, i'll need to be able to show something for three years work when applying to college.

Ideas?

pretty standard fare for getting references from old jobs. could you get the reference directly from your manager, thereby avoiding shit company policy? providing the manager is a good person...

i'm sure there's a liabilty thing preventing the company from vouching for you properly...

Shafted is the word. I'll need two references for applying to certain colleges and without a written reference from the job i was in for three years and is most relavent to my course, i'm screwed. And i know the guy, there's no way he'll budge. Complete arsehole.

Here's the dilemma.

Recruiters, Human Resources people want real references. That means someone they can ring up who will answer all their invasive nosey questions. I have provided written references before and they've fobbed them off.

Companies have gotten sued for giving bad references so now all they want to do is verify employment dates, job titles, and salary. They decree a policy that says "nobody give references, send them to H.R. if someone wants a reference."

I have two previous employers who aren't bound by some policy mentioned above who I keep in regular email contact with. Every time I contract to a new place I give their names and phone numbers so the recruitment and human resource people stay happy.

It can be really frustrating when you've got an offer on the table but some Human Resources person won't sign off on you until they talk to a real live person about you.

In every job that I've worked in during my last week I rob a load of headed paper so that I can write my own reference, it's never failed me yet.

Can you not just give one of your mates mobiles and get them to pretend that they were your boss? I worked in as a team leader in a call centre for about two year back in 2004 and still get the occasional call on my mobile from companies looking for references on people that were on my team.

fake it and chance yer arm?

+1 to this.

Deffo, fake it. I've seen some whopping works of fiction in my time. And 2 jobs I've had they never even checked my references.

Pop down something and give one of your mates' names. Tell them the company went bust in the recession. You worked there 5 years ago when it was a startup. Can't fail.

Just emailed my old work to ask for a reference to use for applying to college in UK and getting jobs. Got this back in an email:

The attatched "reference" just says "RSJ worked at **** from day x to day x as an electronic technician. If you have further questions, ring me on 555-666-666, regards, some dude".

Is there anything i can do here? Surely they're somehow obliged to give me a written reference? The manager can barely speak english (he's from mayo) so even if he tried to give me a good phone reference, he'd fuck it up, but even that aside, i'll need to be able to show something for three years work when applying to college.

Ideas?

Most of the responses so far are correct. Your choices here are to go to HR in the old job and ask them to disclose your file records or go over all their heads and ghost something an ex-director would sign.

There has been major shite in my job in the past with references not checking out when the referee was contacted directly and people getting job offers withdrawn etc.

I would imagine any college worth its salt would be familiar with the situation and would have a standard form they would send to HR in your old company if you are offered a course place.

You should also include the direct line number for a previous line maaager on your college application form and if there is no problems with your work record they should give a satisfactory verbal reference no matter how useless they are. Send them an email sometime soon mentioning someone may ring in this regard (include some lickarse small talk in this email of course)

my last two professional jobs didn't check my references. i had "references available on request" on my CV and they never asked me for them. one was quite a large multinational.

my place outsourced to some interview companies in the US and another in the UK who checked references and conducted a phone interview etc.

bloody weird, especially since I had to fight tooth and nail to get a reference for college

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back