Words and phrases that are soooo...meh! Like meh (5 Viewers)

I'm starting to really hate the phrase 'I must say'. And also when people list themselves at the beginning of a list, like "myself, A, B and C went to...".

Rereading "Then We Came to the End" by Joshua Ferris again. A passage in it really reminded me of this thread...

------------------------------------

Jim explained that in the advertising industry, art directors and copywriters alike were called creatives… Jim also told him that the advertising product, whether it was a TV commercial, a print ad, a billboard or a radio spot, was called the creative.

“You folks over there,” said Max, “you say you call yourselves creatives, is that what you're telling me? And the work you do, you call that the creative, is that what you said?” Jim said that was correct. “And I suppose you think of yourselves as pretty creative over there, I bet.”

“I suppose so,” said Jim, wondering what Max was driving at.

“And the work you do, you probably think that's pretty creative work.”

“What are you asking me, Uncle Max?”

“Well, if all that's true,” said the old man, “that would make you creative creatives creating creative creative.” There was silence as Max allowed Jim to take this in. “And that right there,” he concluded, “…That's a use of the English language just too absurd to even contemplate.”

With that, Max hung up.

People who litter their sentences with "yeah?" should be shot. Things like this for example. "So I said this, yeah? then he got outta the car, yeah? and I had the child in me arms, yeah? Yeah? and then I handed the child over to the man, yeah? coz he was the father yeah?"

People who litter their sentences with "yeah?" should be shot. Things like this for example. "So I said this, yeah? then he got outta the car, yeah? and I had the child in me arms, yeah? Yeah? and then I handed the child over to the man, yeah? coz he was the father yeah?"

Be careful. Sometimes when i'd have a particularly bad customer who'd say that a lot i'd say 'NO' and they'd absolutely explode with rage. Worked every time.

I don't know what that means, myself.

But I'm getting sick of hearing girls on the train here describe things as 'lush'. ARGH.

"We'll agree to disagree"

One person cannot successfully state 'we will' do anything without consulting. The proper way to approach someone with this desire would be:

person 1: I do not agree with your statement/belief, i would like to propose that we make an agreement to not further discuss our current disagreement. do you agree???
person 2: yes, i agree.
person 1: ah, jolly good, so now we have agreed to disagree, not like where i agreed with myself previously that i would impose my desire to no longer continue such discussions upon you through mislead conversational structure at all!!!
person 2: indeed!! good day.

MilanPan!c ;

pop up = badly run

The term social media is done to death.

App irritates me even though it's a perfectly serviceable shortening of another term.

Going forward is another one that lately I find myself using. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back