Women and punk (2 Viewers)

LuvChild

compared to other musical genres/areas/scenes in ireland i've noticed that there are very few women/girls at punk gigs.

any particular reason for this?

is it a personal hygiene issue for most girls or is it the rougher goings on at gigs etc.

i love going to gigs, but always see very few girls up dancing or whatever at them, most seem to be there with boys and/or standing at the back where it's "safer". i feel very outnumbered !!

at a gig in voodoo paddys night there seemed to be only one girl up givin' it socks, mebbe she was hammered id unno but it was great to see id have gotten up wit her only i was on the way somewhere else only stopped in to see what was goin on the other girls there were tamely standing near the back and didnt seem too botherd

compared to other musical genres/areas/scenes in ireland i've noticed that there are very few women/girls at punk gigs.

any particular reason for this?

is it a personal hygiene issue for most girls or is it the rougher goings on at gigs etc.

i love going to gigs, but always see very few girls up dancing or whatever at them, most seem to be there with boys and/or standing at the back where it's "safer". i feel very outnumbered !!

at a gig in voodoo paddys night there seemed to be only one girl up givin' it socks, mebbe she was hammered id unno but it was great to see id have gotten up wit her only i was on the way somewhere else only stopped in to see what was goin on the other girls there were tamely standing near the back and didnt seem too botherd

eh? what? exactly mate, what gigs have you been going too?
there are always girls at gigs....and quite alot of us too.....

and whats with the comments "most seem to be there with boys and/or standing at the back where it's "safer".

and
"were tamely standing near the back and didnt seem too botherd"

not forgetting the best one of all
" is it a personal hygiene issue for most girls "

:D:D:D:D

There is a good few girls at gigs in Belfast and they are most times up at the front dancing. Suppose it depends on what band is on.

if anything, i've noticed that women going to gigs and being in bands and doing other stuff has become way more common now than it was six or seven years ago when i started going to gigs. to the point where it's not a novelty any more. which is deadly.

if anything, i've noticed that women going to gigs and being in bands and doing other stuff has become way more common now than it was six or seven years ago when i started going to gigs. to the point where it's not a novelty any more. which is deadly.

which again suggests this person either doesn't go to gigs very often or is taking the piss.

and if anything its the girls who would be at the punk gigs that would be more involved.....especially with putting them on, playing in bands and generally helping out.
your right this is beyond ridiculous kinda post ....is he having a laugh...cos i sure am :D

Voodoo eh? St. Patrick's night was the first gig I've been to in ages, used to go to the Firestone a lot (Yeah, it's been a while).

It just made me realise how much I missed it. Love getting into the thick of it. I saw a few girls in voodoo, but I wasn't keeping track of what was going on with them.
Maybe the ones you saw weren't there for the music, I know I only went intially coz my mates were going some of them girls. It's all part of the fun.

But the plan is to go to more gigs now. I'm just completely out of touch and don't know what ones are worth going to any more!

I take it by your username you're a girl, why do you care if there are more men than women at gigs? More fun for you that way, non?

In fairness, LuvChild raises some good points.

We need better hygiene at gigs.
We need to be less rough and more soft at gigs.
And if you build it, they will come.
By 'they' I mean women.

Then all we need to do is listen to more emo and we're all set.

In fairness, LuvChild raises some good points.

We need more women at gigs.
We need better hygiene at gigs.
We need to be less rough and more soft at gigs.

Then all we need to do is listen to more emo and we're all set.
don't forget get we all need to buy black hair die and hair straighteners....
and get the most sideways fringe the world has ever seen so we can only see out one eye

maybe thats why their always so miserable, probably aways walking into doors and such

Eh, LuvChild is a girl. Hello LuvChild! *waves*
Venturing into thumped from boards I see.

Not to rock the boat, but the gender balance in the scene in dublin is still quite shit compared to other european scenes. I think it's just that as is being pointed out by others, compared to how it used to be it's a lot better. But starting from 2 or 3, it isn't that hard to improve upon. ;) I can't remember which number issue of BTHTFTPF it was that dealt with women in the scene in Ireland (I think it was #3), but maybe that might be a good starting point and reference for this discussion.

Also, LuvChild, probably the wrong gig, you should probably come to one in the lowerdeck and then report back again. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back