witnness lineup (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter jp
  • Start date
  • Replies 53
  • Views 4K
  • Watchers 6
I think someone is going to have to take a stand against these compression terrorists... Right! My album will be going sharply from -40 to 0dB every 2.4 seconds...should generate some interesting polyrhythms I reckons.

Re: Re: Re: Yoota Today

Originally posted by michaelknight
I've often wondered what a "good" dynamic range is...as you say, older stuff seems to have a greater dynamic range, and I have some classical stuff (Verdi and Tchaikovsky are cunts at this) that goes from being nearly inaudible to utterly deafening...if you tried to tout a demo or something with that sort of dynamic range, you'd just be accused of not knowing how to record properly...but maybe that's what you want! (Well, maybe not to that extreme, but perhaps more so than is de rigeur these days...)

I've been thinking about this a bit since posting.

I mean the main point is its what suits the music, or what you're trying to aim for. Off the top of my head Lenny Cohen to my ear has always had a very delicate way of mataining a constant feel to his songs, a very unhurried looping feel that never really peaks or dips but seems to roll along gentley underneath his lyrics (which I guess fot the most part are the "important" part of his music). A lot of New Wave music, Talking heads, The Carrs seemed to be based on keeping a constand pumping beat that didn't vary very much. I guess its a way of keeping that tension thing those kids were into going.

I guess dance/disco music does somethign similar to matain a beat and a rythem and keep people shaking their booty. I'm not a dance fan so I can't really comment.

Personally I love the (over) use of dynamics. One of my favourite albums is REM's Murmur which I got on vinyl last year, at it real does dip from quiet low mumbling lyrics and scratched guitars to really kicking in, specially on some of the more long drawn out stuff (Pilgramage, Perfect Circle) , even as kid I loved listening to it on my walkman at night and straining for the quieter moments which would lead to me getting my head blown off by the big kick ass Rickenbackers.

Also of note is Mercury Rev's Chasing a Bee, when during the second chorus or something ("its not time for the real lifetime..") this guitar feedback comes in and wipes EVERYTHING off the track, I mean EVERYTHING like an Elephant being chainsawed up across your headphones.

This never fails to make me smile.

anyhow I was just thinking about it.... I'll go away now...

i got the zwan album and it is good but i think personally that what made the pumpkins so good was the fact they were quite dysfunctional i mean you could nearly taste the tension on a lot of their stuff ...i mean when they were recording cherub rock ...chamberlain was missing 4 2 weeks and just appeared...corgan got him to do the drums 20 times 4 it - until his hands were bleeding and thats the take they used...there is no ooomf like that with zwan if yanna wot i mean...its too relaxed.....

Re: Re: Re: Re: Yoota Today

Originally posted by Pantone247
from quiet low mumbling lyrics and scratched guitars to really kicking in, specially on some of the more long drawn out stuff
Yeah, I'm thinking that particularly on long stuff you'd be wanting the oul' dynamic falls and swells, so it doesn't get boring...

Originally posted by Ed
Lemon jelly are savage live, saw them in the hambassador the other week, fucking millons of coffe table music fans there, pricks.

coffee table music fans, spot on... can't stand their jazz and gomez praises... fucks sake...

and then you have the hip hop , rich kid, beat boxers...
what the fuck?

the datsuns... take alice cooper and sprinkle lightly with t-rex...

fucking awful...

and the music, i have'nt come across a band since the frames that i wanted to sock right in the kisser... BAM....

I wish All tomorrows parties would do something in ireland...

or maybe we could havea gig with curated by David Noone...
wonder who would play... .|..|

Originally posted by Bad_Penny_Model
or maybe we could havea gig with curated by David Noone...
wonder who would play... .|..|

i am strangely fascinated by this idea, i must say... :)

just go look at the t in the park (www.tinthepark.com) lineup, they'll be very similar, with the exception of REM who probably won't be doing witnness due to the marley park shows

Originally posted by Rimbaud
Limericks NoiseFest is usually on about the same time as WIMPNESS .....last year SHELTER headlined, cheaper that WIMPNESS too - and usually alot better.
Less students and all.

Where would I find out more about the NoiseFest?

Originally posted by conor
lemon jelly first album better. also you'd like the whalefish song by mr. scruff.

Haven't heard the new Lemonjelly album yet, but quite like the first one .KY
The Duck song is a little bit too similar to Mr Scruff in my opinion...

regarding Zwan, is it just me, or has Corgan cheered up lately ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back