witnness lineup (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter jp
  • Start date
  • Replies 53
  • Views 4K
  • Watchers 6
the ducks one is the only one I know

they sound to me like a bunch of knights who say ni, but sure who knows, they might be good

I heard a story about them. They had a gig where there were no tickets, or rather there were t-shirts for tickets with the venue, date etc printed on them.

You got a t-shirt when you went to the record store to buy a ticket, and you'd only get in if you were wearing the t-shirt. The band were all wearing the t-shirt too, so it was one great big Lemon Jelly love-in.

The idea was that, if you were walking down the road and saw someone with the same shirt you could say hey I was at that gig too and they'd be like yeah wow let's go hang.

Nice idea. Perhaps for the next tone gig? Or the ballroom?

.|..|
Communion!

Classic fuck-up: at a wedding years ago. Forced into going up for the oul' lamb o' jaysus. Doddery priest, went to shove the communion into my mouth, I threw up my hands, and the communion went flying. I'm like "same again, Father", and the prick said no way, and made me pick the fucking thing up off the floor.

Lamb of god = into the bin.

Originally posted by snakybus
the ducks one is the only one I know

they sound to me like a bunch of knights who say ni, but sure who knows, they might be good

I heard a story about them. They had a gig where there were no tickets, or rather there were t-shirts for tickets with the venue, date etc printed on them.

I've got it (New Lemon Jelly album). It's quite good actually. Especially the ducks song. There are some Jazzy wierd moments on the album too, which are great in a slightly St.Etienne but not as repetitive way. And they were great at Witnness last summer. Some of the songs may be a little too long. But its quite good.

I'm probably opening myself up for digs and ssshhlaps... but I quite like the Zwan single. Nothing new or original, but nicely flange-tastically produced and infectious.

Re: Yoota Today

Originally posted by Anne OMalley

I've heard The Mysterians name-checked many times but haven't heard them. Where's a good place to start?

You've probably heard their 'hit', 96 Tears. There's a good mid-price greatesthits CD knocking about, pwobabwy get it in Tower.

Originally posted by Unclealo
I'm probably opening myself up for digs and ssshhlaps... but I quite like the Zwan single. Nothing new or original, but nicely flange-tastically produced and infectious.

Nar Its not too bad, but i would never describe it as good. I thought there were some good ideas in the song but they weren't pulling it off. Like they were trying to sound like Fugazi. I could be totally wrong here.

Originally posted by Pantone247
I like ducks

is that album any good?, some of what I've heard sounds deadly (like that ducks song, and the thing with the Chicago smaple in it, thats wonderbar!)

some of it sounds a bit poor mans Daft Punk or something

lemon jelly first album better. also you'd like the whalefish song by mr. scruff.

Originally posted by snakybus
They had a gig where there were no tickets, or rather there were t-shirts for tickets....

that was my idea
betchoo they use c in songs too. pricks.

Re: Yoota Today

Originally posted by Anne OMalley
All that compression... sheesh.

that what surprised me too, for so much music being played on the songs, they're is no dynamic to it, it has no rise and fall as instruments come in and out. It goes from a full on mash of sounds, too quiet wee tinklings, then back to loud mush. No swells or rises or inbetween or anything.

This morning I was listening to Dusty Springfield's version of "I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself". It has to be the least compressed record ever. It's so dynamic it's pretty much unbearable.

aaahhhh yesh. Total flip side here, I've been listening to a lot of classic pop lately, your Glen Campbells and your Dustys and your Beach boys and The Monkees and all this, and the dynamic width on some of these albums is huge, overloading the tape to point of distortion was nothing to these guys, wipping out the drum and bass tracks with a huge swirl of brass and strings was all part of the effect, especially on mono recordings.

When you've got a huge ammount of musicians going hell for leather on your music, make it sound like a huge ensemble going hell for leather on your music!

I've heard The Mysterians name-checked many times but haven't heard them. Where's a good place to start?

I do believe I owe you a CD-R, I'll send it on to you.
I heard them name checked too lots, but forget all that, its really simple farfisa driven garage pop with a slight tex mex fuzz guitar. Its all about ?'s delivery. The man is a total gem.

The way things are going, don't expect to hear a record with any dynamic range to be released in the near future. If the engineer won't squish it, you can bet the mastering will.

Lemon jelly are savage live, saw them in the hambassador the other week, fucking millons of coffe table music fans there, pricks.

Limericks NoiseFest is usually on about the same time as WIMPNESS .....last year SHELTER headlined, cheaper that WIMPNESS too - and usually alot better.
Less students and all.

Re: Re: witnness lineup

Originally posted by sthar
That reads like the T in the Park lineup. Without REM and Coldplay.

that's cos i took the t in the park lineup and said it was the witnness lineup
but they're always the same
and coldplay are doing witnness but maybe not rem
i think the zwan album's great

Re: Re: Yoota Today

Originally posted by Pantone247
that what surprised me too, for so much music being played on the songs, they're is no dynamic to it, it has no rise and fall as instruments come in and out. It goes from a full on mash of sounds, too quiet wee tinklings, then back to loud mush. No swells or rises or inbetween or anything.

aaahhhh yesh. Total flip side here, I've been listening to a lot of classic pop lately, your Glen Campbells and your Dustys and your Beach boys and The Monkees and all this, and the dynamic width on some of these albums is huge, overloading the tape to point of distortion was nothing to these guys, wipping out the drum and bass tracks with a huge swirl of brass and strings was all part of the effect, especially on mono recordings.

When you've got a huge ammount of musicians going hell for leather on your music, make it sound like a huge ensemble going hell for leather on your music!

I've often wondered what a "good" dynamic range is...as you say, older stuff seems to have a greater dynamic range, and I have some classical stuff (Verdi and Tchaikovsky are cunts at this) that goes from being nearly inaudible to utterly deafening...if you tried to tout a demo or something with that sort of dynamic range, you'd just be accused of not knowing how to record properly...but maybe that's what you want! (Well, maybe not to that extreme, but perhaps more so than is de rigeur these days...)

Re: Re: Re: Yoota Today

That's just it, really. It's fashionable nowadays to compress the living bejaysus out of popular music when recording or, alternatively, to master everything "hot". Part of the reason is the ongoing battle for loudness, the (idiotic) rule of thumb being the more you compress the louder you can make it.

It's a bit like thinking that your movie will stand out more just because you overexposed the film during shooting. Yes it will, but it will also lose lots of detail and drive people to drink.

Speaking of which: vroom, vrooooom!

Originally posted by michaelknight
if you tried to tout a demo or something with that sort of dynamic range, you'd just be accused of not knowing how to record properly...but maybe that's what you want! (Well, maybe not to that extreme, but perhaps more so than is de rigeur these days...)

saw something somewhere that even went as far as to say the melodies of aguilera's tunes have been written to allow for the maximum effect of compression and making it louder etc so that when jacinta hear's it on the dodgy radio behind the counter in spar she notices it more than britney's latest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back