wither.... (1 Viewer)

Yup, Stump were Irish alright. The singer was called Mick Lynch, and he was from Cork. A real nut-job. I think their drummer was Irish too. The others came from London.
They had an Ep called... crap I can't remember
And an album called 'A Fierce Pancake'.
The song 'Charlton Heston' is an absolute masterpiece, and should be picked up by those who don't know it, not to mention those who do. It's on 'A Fierce Pancake' by the way, which wasn't as good as it might've been.
Well worth looking into tho', if you thought that there was no whacked-out Irish stuff made in the late 80's/early 90's.

Actually they were quite the exception....

I agree, Floor Ian. Stump's "A Fierce Pancake" was a little too finicky as an album, but they had bundles of promise. Very like Beefheart in style and attitude, but with a fucked up, Christy Moore, lilting-culchie-gimp thing going on. The title of that album comes from Flann O'Brien.

The only other interesting Irish act I heard in the very early 90s was Nine Wassies From Bainne. They were more formally experimental than Stump, though less amusing. I think they're still floating around somewhere. (Anyone?)

The late 80s was a terrible time for music in Ireland. A musical famine. The Stars of this, the Power of that - Jesus, what a shower of unreconstructed, hard-rock turdmongers.

Oh yes, I remember the winter of 87. Black, Black 87.

Then came Cry Before Dawn, of course..

Florian Fricked (14 Aug, 2001 01:35 p.m.):
Yup, Stump were Irish alright. The singer was called Mick Lynch, and he was from Cork. A real nut-job. I think their drummer was Irish too. The others came from London.
They had an Ep called... crap I can't remember
And an album called 'A Fierce Pancake'.
The song 'Charlton Heston' is an absolute masterpiece, and should be picked up by those who don't know it, not to mention those who do. It's on 'A Fierce Pancake' by the way, which wasn't as good as it might've been.
Well worth looking into tho', if you thought that there was no whacked-out Irish stuff made in the late 80's/early 90's.

Actually they were quite the exception....

i have it from a reliable source that there was a band called bad egg salad in dublin during the early 90s. any details anyone?

i don't really care much for the band but, what the hell happened to Joyrider, at one stage they were just as big as ASh!?

oph aye joyrdier sure they even appeared on top of the pops doina dodgy cover of the RUSH HOUR song, whihc undoubtably will be now stuck i my head for the next 2 days gurr.

As for NO SWEAT even wee me remembers them, rock n roll superstars that they were, ahem ahem

stump..jesus long time since i heard that name...
they used to sell stump records in cork when i was but a lad.....
might see if i can find them again...
i'll dig out some sphincter stuff and shove it on net...
to all the old dublin metallers out there, do any of ye remember last rites????

I think you'd better ask Niall Byrne about 'Last Rights'.

Niall?

Hag - I have/had a copy of 'A Fierce Pancake' on vinyl. I'll see if I can dig it out and bring it down to Lazybird soon.

last rites... dint their bassist have INCREDiBLY long hair. movet coveted it was, back in the day. nowadays you can shave your fucking head pretend to be fred durst and call that metal? in my day it was aboiut dedication. it took years to become a metaller, like a monk or summat. only less serene. and uglier. and stupider.

i remeber a band called spincther. but there were many bands called sphincter i would imagine.

Damn straight, although I think you'll find it was spelt "Last Rites", Florian, you diabolical heathen, you.

Did Alan Murphy play drums with Last Rites? Or was it The Four Horsemen...?

Which reminds me: what ever happened to the following?

- Rapecake
- The Unimpressed
- Jewgyptian Timewipe
- Gift!

Some of these bands could have made it big in Greece. Anyone?

Florian Fricked (15 Aug, 2001 11:47 a.m.):
I think you'd better ask Niall Byrne about 'Last Rights'.

Niall?

Hag - I have/had a copy of 'A Fierce Pancake' on vinyl. I'll see if I can dig it out and bring it down to Lazybird soon.

I know a guy who took it to his grave with him. I'll try and dig it up, if you like.

Which reminds me: anyone heard from the following?

- Deadly Doss Disco
- Madeira Puke
- Kunth

I think the singer out of Kunth later joined Slow French Rockets, then after that Donnybrook Tennis Club (the tennis club, not the band). Dunno where he is now - probably at home having his rashers licked by servants.

Anything else?

Florian Fricked (15 Aug, 2001 01:28 p.m.):
Yeah yeah.. 'Last Rites' it was.

Anyone have the first 'Spunk Driven Wheelbarrow' 10"?

i miss Electric Mule Spoon. now there was a band i'd like to see again. and Mobius Scarfe ...

those guys have my wallet.

yeah. in more ways than one, eh? nudge nudge, wink wink. eh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back