Winter Solstice (1 Viewer)

Knacker

Website
www.ballroomofromance.com
Okay... I've found in the past few years that the 21st has fallen on a weekday. So, what with it being on a Saturday, I'm half thinking of making a trek up to Newgrange. What's the story with this... I'd imagine it's busy... has anyone ever gone?

I read the met eireann site and it said the weekend should be clear enough....

Oh!... well Happy Birthday in advance.... and I hope those teeth sort themselves out soon....em... I might just dress up in a green polo shirt and baseball cap and call myself chad.... that could do the trick

Couldn't you get a similar effect if you sat under a cardboard box in a dark room, with a hole cut out of the front and got a friend to walk around really slowly with a torch. THen you could let out a gaaaaassssp when the light shines in the hole.
The advantage it has over going to Newgrange is that you don't have to make your way to or from the Boyne Valley.

Newgrange aint what it used to be. You used to be able to just drive up to it and hop in . Now you have to go to the interpretive centre (which is actually quite good) and pay to get a bus from there. You are then herded around and forced to get on the returning bus. After you've been on the (forced) guided tour you have about 5 seconds to take it all in. Pity becase it's pretty great.

pricks

Originally posted by Knacker
Okay... I've found in the past few years that the 21st has fallen on a weekday. So, what with it being on a Saturday, I'm half thinking of making a trek up to Newgrange. What's the story with this... I'd imagine it's busy... has anyone ever gone?

you fucking hippy

Ah well.... I could always go to the top of Killiney hill and stand buck-naked on the Obelisk and watch the sun-rise over Dublin bay .... which is amazing... man

Re: Re: Winter Solstice

Originally posted by kirstie
you fucking hippy

Yeah? Well.... your idea of being spiritual is taking a couple of disprins, putting on the Charlotte Church album, turning off the lights and performing the missionary position!

Re: Re: Re: Winter Solstice

Yeah? Well.... your idea of being spiritual is taking a couple of disprins, putting on the Charlotte Church album, turning off the lights and performing the missionary position!

Fuck me!! That is spiritual. Thats how they do it in the priesthood over the Christmas period. In between mass like.

as far as i know, yeah, you do have to book years in advance to get into the chamber in newgrange for the solstice.

hang on til the spring, and go to the big tomb at lough crew - also in meath - for the equinox. not quite as snazzy, but you can just walk/crawl in and marvel at the beam of light (provided its not too cloudy). i did it last autumn, and it's well worth having to get up at 4am and clamber up a hill before dawn. no, really.

actually, said beam of light hit me on the ear, thus making me, i think, the chosen one of the sun god. bow down and worship, peasants.

Newgrange is a poor mans Stonehenge.

Go to Ing-er-land and smoke doobie with some new age Pikies and neo-Druids at Stonehenge. They might even ask you back to the forest for ye old Orgy. ...(I'd advise against this though, there'll be more grey pubes than you can shake a stick at.:( )

I could be wrong but I remember reading in our World Book Encyclopedia [1979 edition] that the Winter Solstice sometimes fell on December 20 and 22 as well as the 21st. And the summer one likewise.

It depended on various factors, the moon etc

Originally posted by Mumblin Deaf Ro
The newgrange shebang is around 9am this saturday - believe it or not, my boss will be inside the tomb for it - there you go

Your boss is a 4,000 year old corpse?

Cooool.

Garry out of Smile records goes down there a lot with his mates around this time of year, and he says that the thing to do is go down the day before or after the solstice. Which makes total sense. I mean the sun doesn't move THAT much, and the whole process apparently works fine for a day or two either side of the "Important" day.
If I was going down, I would do what he does.
Happy birthday solsticegirl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back