wilco stick it to the man! (1 Viewer)

quackster

depressing...

"Wilco record a surprise chart hit

May 2, 2002 Posted: 11:09 AM EDT (1509 GMT)

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- Mainstream country crooner Kenny Chesney may own the No. 1 spot on the latest album charts, but alt-country veterans Wilco logged the jaw-dropper of the week, breaking into the top 20 with their latest disc after quitting their major-label deal at Warner Bros. last year, Variety reports.

"Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" on the eclectic Warner Music outpost Nonesuch Records landed at No. 13 this week amid widespread critical acclaim. The band garnered heavy press attention when it bought back the album, which scanned nearly 56,000 copies in its debut session, after their previous label Warner/Reprise Records voiced worries over its marketability. Both labels are divisions of AOL Time Warner, which owns CNN.com."

like ray davies once sang...

G (Doggie style alternating bass)
Eyes down, round and round
D
Let's all sit and watch the money go round
(D) A
Everyone take a little bit here
G F#
And a little bit there

G
Do they all deserve
D
money from a song that they never heard
(D) A
They don't know the tune and they don't know the words
G F#
But they don't give a damn

(actually the main reason i wanted to paste that in - what in the name of god is "doggie style bass??)

Originally posted by figs
I think I missed something here. Why's that depressing?

ok, depressing because there was all this bullshit about wilco rebounding from being dropped by their corporate whoremasters who listened to their record once and thought it was shite and wouldn't release it. bastards! but, undaunted, they signed their own deal and got the record out and it's a critical success and the fastest seller they've ever had. and it's on a subsidiary of the label that dropped them in the first place. not a unique or new point of view by any means, but the reality of the record industry is depressing to me.

Ah,that clears it up.I wasn't exactly sure what that post was getting at.Especially the "bought back the album bit".
Thanks for clearing that up quackster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back