whoooeeeeeeeee (2 Viewers)

Led Zep - that was "Hammer of the Gods", right? What was the story with the shark?

I read a Roxy Music biography recently, it was cool.

And how's this for trainspottery. A guy left the entire Abbey Road studio documentation of every last recording by the Beatles in my house. Everything was documented in Abbey Road, every tea boy who made sandwiches, every track of every version of every song (and there were sometimes more than 50 versions), every flange effect put on a guitar, every little technical decision, absolutely everything.

I thought I'd just leaf through it. I read it from start to finish. gasp

it wasn;t hammer of the gods, it was 'stairway to heaven' heh

written by their tour manager, richard cole.

story with the shark? well, it was actually a red snapper. zeppelin, even when they had millions, used to always stay in this one dodgy hotel in some city, because you could hire fishing rods from the lobby and fish out of your balcony window.
one night cole and john bonham had caught a whole bunch and were pretty bored by it. so cole went out and brought a groupie into the bedroom, a pretty young redhead. she took off all her clothes and started writhing on the bed. he got one of the fish from the balcony and shoved it up her bits, and yelled ' there you are love, a red snapper for your red snapper!!!".

not as good as the octopus story

eh Brett Easton Ellis like - he has 3 themes:

1. Dissafected youth
2. Serial Killers
3. Dissafected vampire serial killing youth

Less than Zero and the Rules of Attraction are ace though, and American Psycho is fab and also is hilarious in parts. But that one set in LA with the vampires (for the love of fuck fuck fuck) was just stupeh and Glamourama was utter unfinishable bollix. For that sort of voice of a city stuff Jay McInerney is my fave reading rave.

The best music related buke I have read recently is Motley Crue's joint autobiography. And the Creation records wan not written by Paoulo Hewitt is also excellente. Hammer of the Gods is actually a pretty good read, and I hate Xepplin. Nothing can compare to Pamela DES Barres in rock groupie writing ways though.

What octopus story Dudley? Way to leave us hanging!!!!

I love in The Song Remains the Same the way they have little films about each member rescuing princesses and fighting duels and shit, and then it goes to Bonzo's film and it's all Bonzo in his race car, Bonzo with his prize bull, Bonzo in his tractor. No faffing around with princesses for him!

they played for someone like bill graham and as well as being paid a billion dollars they were each given a present of a live octopus!!!

so they go back to the hotel and are thinking 'what the fuck are we going to do with these???'

jimmy page gets some groupies, puts them in the bath under the premise of watching them bathe. next thing the octopii are thrown. apparently the girls didn't freak out at all and one of the octopii had an instinctual idea of exactly where to place his tentacle. the girls starts moaning and thrashing and screams at jimy, 'i gotta get me one of these' or something whilst led zeppeling look on with their mouths wide open.

seriously, fucking great book

incidentally in the fishing hotel they would often have to hire an extra room just for their catches! i forget the story about john bonham trying to throw a grand piano out the window

ah, but i do remember the story about them flying back from india, all with the runs after some v didgy curry, and having to take it in turns to go to the loo with baby talcum powder. very rock n' roll

or the time john bohnam pissed himself in first class, went back to economy and made his roady swap seats with him!

ah, the japes

Originally posted by billygannon

It's really short.... and that's not the ending either... so nyah....

I think I'll get that book everyone is banging on about

Has anyone read Atonement? Is it any good?

i'm halfway into atonement right now and its brilliant, really well written . I got so so angry at the main character that i started muttering "stupid fucking bitch" to myself on the dart this morning...

Re: Re: whoooeeeeeeeee

Originally posted by conor

that's funny y'know 'cos you didn't actually buy it yourself now did ya? :p

ha ha ha conor
i never said in my post that i did buy it so mneeeeugh to you.
are you saying all the thumpers should borrow it off you instead of buying it ?

(what a cool idea - a thumped book club, like oprah's one but way cooler, we could have stickers and all )

Originally posted by nine
Thats a crazy coincidence,thats what i'm reading at the moment.My star sign is aquarius by the way,what about you?:D

Also,if you want an even better one,check out the third policeman.It's by an irish chap and it's fucking brilliant,very funny and very weird.

virgo ( flutters eyelashes :p )

flann o brien is great. we did some stuff by him in college where he did exact translations of speech "as gaeilge". very very very funny...i'll try and find it.

Dunces I never finished. Wasn't too impressed but might return to it.

American Psycho is a classic - the film would have been a lot better if the killings were more explicit but that's the NC-17 rating obsession for you,

The big Creation records book by Dave Cavanagh is a good read too. Avoid the Depeche Mode biography. Cannot remember author.

Elvis Presley - best biogs are Peter Guralnick's two.

Morrissey's best album is "Southpaw Grammar"

Originally posted by coraline

i'm halfway into atonement right now and its brilliant, really well written . I got so so angry at the main character that i started muttering "stupid fucking bitch" to myself on the dart this morning...

Same here,i feel stupid when i find myself laughing on the bus.But then i think FUCK THEM,FUCK THEM ALL!!!!They're all wankers.And then i realise that i sound like ignatius!!
Then i get off the bus....

yes:)

except that i meant that the character in the book was a bitch, not lovely me :p

anyway i'm happy cos this is the most replies a thread i started has ever got !!
2 pages woohooooooo .

nine what time is it where you are ?
i think i'm pretty much the only person in dublin who posts at this time - all the others are gone home from work now...

It's just gone three.
I'm five hours behind,but then again i'm never really up to date no matter what time zone i'm in.
Are you in college aswell as pad.Ye could be sitting beside each other and not even knowing it!!

Head shop here i come!!!!

BOOKS!!!...well....
KLAUS KINSKI - KLAUS KINSKI UNCUT , probably one of the best biography`s i`ve read....rock`nroll to the bone...
DOSTOYEVSKY fuckin rocks!!!
OCTAVE MIRBEAU - THE TORTUE GARDEN is a must (its a bit n the evil side)
KEROUAC, BURROUGHS, THOMPSON......(o.k., im just name dropping now)
But i`m here in THE FLYING PIG DOWNTOWN(the dam), after a GOOD! night out and i`m heading to Charleville(france) Monday to visit ARTHUR RIMBAUD`s home town, his museum and other shit.People you gotta check his shit out!.And TRISTEZA are playing here Sunday.......ahh fuck this shit i`m gonna bed.....In my state this free internet thing is gone to my head....
I`m gonna regret this shit......
:D :D :D !bog

Originally posted by herv
primo levi. everyone should read at least one of his books. two biographies have just been published as well.

The Periodic Table is one of the saddest, most brilliant books ever.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch - Glamorama was so shit I couldn't finish it. And I'll read just about anything. The relentless arch tone was just too much for me.

On the other hand, Flann O'Brien is a genius - The Best of Myles is a good one to dip in and out of.

Current favourite books - The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen (most buttock-clenchingly cringeworthy characters ever) and A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving...

Current read which I am struggling through - Emerald Germs of Ireland by Pat McCabe - much as I loved The Butcher Boy, does this guy have any other bloody themes other than homicidal border county man-boy goes nuts, written with! gross! overuse! of ! exclamation! marks? I keep giving up in boredom and turning to Jon Ronson's "Them" instead...

Brian Wilson's autobiography is brilliant, some very funny bits(freaking out both iggy pop and alice cooper) and some really sad stuff(what his father did to him).

Originally posted by joey

and A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving...

MmmMMMmmm I love John Irving, The Hotel New Hampshire is one of my favourite books ever I thinkest. Didn't like a Prayer for Owen Meany so much, but the Water Method Man is also ace.

Have just bought Don Delillo's White Noise, will be starting that on the train home this evening.

Originally posted by joey

.......and A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving...

New England fucking rocks; Lovecraft, Steinbeck, Irving, Vonnegut, Stephen King on a good day...i wanna go there and suck it up...or maybe have a swim and a ice cream, one or the other...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back