White Stripes (8 Viewers)

Pantone247

Since 2000
Website
pantone247.blogspot.com
Was reading sound on sound there, like a big nerd, and the mix enginer was saying that the new White Stripes CD for Icky-Thump was mastered really hot and loud (at Jacks Request) but that the vinyl was done pretty much straight of the 1" tape and is hugely dynamic and clear sounding. Couple of things on-line are bigging it up as the best sounding record in yonkers...

Sort of interesting take on The Loudness Wars, for the comerial market there is the brickwall-limited loud as hell mix, and for the dorks there's a nice clean analog transfer on vinyl... .|..|

http://www.cassrecords.com/test/home.html

that link is to Cass records Detroit which is run by a guy called Ben Blackwell, he is Jack Whites cousin or something and knows everything about White Stripes.If you have any questions about anything at all he can help you .If you want more information about the technique or whatever

i wonder why he wouldnt insist that the cd be done properly too? i thought he'd be fussy enough to want it all done well

well the interview goes that he wanted "a hot agressive sound" or something like that, the interviewer asks the engineer is this to compete in the "loudness wars" and the engineers says "I hope not!"

I took this is as *wink* *wink*

I guess Jack just knows how to play The Game

sadly not...

I was going to pick up the new Stripes rekkid anyhow, cause I like the singles lots, much more so then anything else I've heard him do, think I might swing for vinyl now for laughs...

Also I'm amused I used the phrase "play the game", very Arty Pufkin

Was reading sound on sound there, like a big nerd, and the mix enginer was saying that the new White Stripes CD for Icky-Thump was mastered really hot and loud (at Jacks Request) but that the vinyl was done pretty much straight of the 1" tape and is hugely dynamic and clear sounding. Couple of things on-line are bigging it up as the best sounding record in yonkers...

Sort of interesting take on The Loudness Wars, for the comerial market there is the brickwall-limited loud as hell mix, and for the dorks there's a nice clean analog transfer on vinyl... .|..|

that's stupid and annoying

haven't seen the article but....for any band with some money, for a vinyl release, mastering direct from tape would be common enough. (if you've mixed to tape of course).
Although it's unlikely they went 'direct' per say, it would be passing through eqs\compressors\limiters, just not in the same way that modern cd's are maxed out.
that kind of heavy handed compression and limiting to achieve loudness is pointless for vinyl, as the loudness is dependent on other factors.

AcousTech did the mastering for lp, serious vinyl mastering nerds.
http://www.recordtech.com/lp.htm

vlado meller did the cd, i think he's responsible for a lot of horrible maxed out cd's.? didn't he do a chilli's album that was so loud it started an online petition to get it re-mastered?

...so it's partly to do with them using the two different formats rather than, nerds vs ehmm...not nerds.
still, what's the point of making another super loud cd.

haven't heard either version....

blah blah etc......still, what's the point of making another super loud cd.

yeah??

it's annoying because no matter what he says, what he's really saying is that he realises the loudness war thing exists and is crap for music but he's afraid to release a good sounding, quiet cd.

it's annoying because no matter what he says, what he's really saying is that he realises the loudness war thing exists and is crap for music but he's afraid to release a good sounding, quiet cd.

exactly.

have some balls Jack and release a CD that doesn't make your listeners' ears bleed.

you know the soft bulletin by the flaming lips and the way the drums sound all clipped? do you reckon that was a mastering thing or did they decide they wanted a storted drum sound? hardly a mistake i suppose. their last album was shocking loud - at war with the mystics

Users who are viewing this thread

• rettucs
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Poor Creature
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back