Whistling Song (1 Viewer)

Jim Daniels

Burls Forever
Supporter
Since 2000
Website
twitter.com
This is a ridiculous long shot but I've done Google things and had no luck.

Around 1996/ 1997 there was a song played on Xfm (John Peel too) It was a mid paced, acoustic strummy/ lo fi/ alt country sounding. It had a live creeky feel to it and the singer (American male like Beck) whistled the chorus near the end and it was deadly. Its so long ago I can't remember the words but the whistling (lasting about 45 seconds) was just the business.
I really need to know who it is. Anybody any ideas?
Just think of any songs you know with whistling (proper normal whistling, not electronic stuff..)

Ta
Jim

Naw, none of those, it was a 1996/1997 release and could have been a Jayhawks/ Wilco/ Will Oldham demo or something. But wasn't of course. It was a singer not a band and the whistling was more upbeat than the feckin Scorpions or GnR!. Doesn't really matter I suppose. I just remember John Peel going " I must say, I love that whistling.." in his usual sincere way...

Almost ten years later and TONIGHT I found out what it was!

Thanks to looking through some old John Peel archived Playlists from 1994, (http://www.avistic.demon.co.uk/playlists/1994/index.html) and trying out a load of songs on You Tube

Its nowhere near as good as I remember, but I'm so happy to be put out of my misery.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thats cool that you found out after 10 years!

i have that. split 7" with mountain goats. according to discogs, theres a guy credited with the whistling/jews harp.

took me 23 years to track this down and it was way better than i remembered:

Thats cool that you found out after 14 years!

I know! It's actually more like 14 years, cause my original post was made after about 4 years of searching! I had it on a blank tape originally, with Peel saying he loves the whistling but not saying who it was. Then the tape went missing around 1998 and the Internet was of no help back then. Racked my brains for years!

That's fucking cool. I heard an amazing song on XFM about 6 weeks ago one morning and had thought of asking here did anyone know it but felt it was a bit late now. So maybe I should go ahead with it.

Though, I do note that no one here was of any help in identifying the tune...

It sounded a bit like Grandaddy- Summer Here Kids. Same kind of strummy guitars and driving beat. But there was a couple of Brian Wilson-style chord changes and a lovely warmth to it. The only lyrics I remember were the male singer wistfully singing "We're out of time....". A really great song, but of course there was no DJ to tell me who it was. Grrr.

It sounded a bit like Grandaddy- Summer Here Kids. Same kind of strummy guitars and driving beat. But there was a couple of Brian Wilson-style chord changes and a lovely warmth to it. The only lyrics I remember were the male singer wistfully singing "We're out of time....". A really great song, but of course there was no DJ to tell me who it was. Grrr.

Sounds nice. Wasn't Cracker by any chance?

Sounds nice. Wasn't Cracker by any chance?

It wasn't, but that's a pretty fuckin' nice song. The singer in my tune sounds reasonably similar actually. But, as I said, it had a lovely wall of driving guitars. God, it was a great song. I'm getting annoyed now that I don't know what it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back