Which portfolio course should I accept? (1 Viewer)

wild_cat

Ive been offered two portfolio courses..

One in Ballyfermot for art design and 3d studies and another in Coláiste Dhúlaigh in Coolock.

Any one know which one is better?

Whats wrong with Ballyfermot cept all the skangers shouting shit?

Hmmm... apprently a good few people have dropped out of the coolock course place, but jesus the amount of people there for the interview and I got a place.

But just that one course in Ballyfermot got 4 people into the NCAD out of the 80 that they accept from portfolio courses which has got to be good considering all the portfolio courses in the country.

What's the story with these portfolio courses?? It sound like extra time spent trying to get into college and then you still have to do your time in college on top of that. And you mighn't get in anyway even after doing the course.

Is it a prerequisite these days for art college? Does it cost money?

Here in Limerick, its free just pay for materials natch. Unless your insanely good at art, it is advised to do one.. There's no push to do one though..

They're to help people put together a portfolio geared towards what they want to do mostly. You work on a lot of life drawing no matter what you want to do, seeing as everywhere wants that in massive piles. There's no guarantee you get in after one no, but it can help, it can also be a waste of time...

They cost money in most places.

Here in Limerick, its free just pay for materials natch. Unless your insanely good at art, it is advised to do one.. There's no push to do one though..

As long as it's free or costs very little that's grand. I don't like the idea of adding more time and expense to your education. it's hard enough as it is.

As long as it's free or costs very little that's grand. I don't like the idea of adding more time and expense to your education. it's hard enough as it is.

You should see what my girlfriend is planning.. She's done 1 year legal studies in Griffith to date.. She hates it.. Wants to do art. So she's going doin a fashion portfolio course which is 1 year, the course is 4 years and there's an add on year for fashion.. Thats 7 years!!! She could be a doctor in the same time!

theres a difference between portfolio courses and art and design PLC courses. a plc course is a much better idea i think, because the tutors want to teach you stuff rather than just get you into college.

I just asked the old man about this... since he is sort involved with this sort of thing, he is saying that they are both pretty good.

He is saying that Ballyfermot might edge out Coláiste Dhúlaigh, but he is going more on Ballyfermot's history. B has a reputation for being good, and are quite good, C.D. is more recently getting the same or similar sort of reputation.

But, since B has done more cooperative/joint things with other places, ie particularly in animation, he thinks he would probably go with Ballyfermot.

What's the story with these portfolio courses?? It sound like extra time spent trying to get into college and then you still have to do your time in college on top of that. And you mighn't get in anyway even after doing the course.

Is it a prerequisite these days for art college? Does it cost money?

Its like a PLC, only decided I wanted to do Art very late in the year so I didnt have time to make a portfolio.

This is where my ego comes into play and I go... "yeah im going to get into art college". I seen two just out of school portfolios last year, the NCAD except 80 straight from school and 80 from portfolio courses. OR so a girl called Niamh told me when she gave me a ciggerette out in Coolock. I thought the straight out of leaving cert ones were kinda shittie compaired to some of the people in my art class in school.

Also any one I know that didnt get into the NCAD was advised not to go to art college by the art teachers in school in the first place.

You could save your money and do a portfolio at home with the wizened guidance of thumpeders. What do you want the fortpolio for?
this is the best advice.
youll waste a year of your life and the colleges mark people waaaaay harder if theyve done a PF course.
straight outta skooll is way more kool.

this is the best advice.
youll waste a year of your life and the colleges mark people waaaaay harder if theyve done a PF course.
straight outta skooll is way more kool.

Sher theres no point in telling me that now, im to late for everything to even apply to the NCAD they want portfolios in early Febuary.

Im getting into Art college and thats the end of it, hahahahahahhaha.

I suppose at least your not like my brothers trying to make me do Gemomatics in college.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back