Where the present Republican movement wrong for their beliefs/war from 1969-1998 (3 Viewers)

Janer

Website
www.youtube.com
Most Punks from the North are totally anti-IRA and get all worked up if someone mentions them in a nicer then nice way.
Below is an example

I had replied to someone else with this
So u have to have being from Belfast to sympathise with the Republican movement?
32 not 26.

and was replied with this persons feelings
JANER. you are a total fu.cking Moron. seriously please fuc.king kill yourself.

I live in the north and grew up in one of the worst parts during the troubles of the 80's early 90's.

Things that have made me reliease its ALL bullshit.

Hearing gunshots when I was 12 and heading a few streets over with my uncle and seeing a dead body shot by the IRA that only 5 minutes prior was walking around and kissing goodbye to his wife. Watching the grief on the faces of his family and neighbours waiting on the police showing up will stay with me forever.

Seeing my cousin in hospital with over a hundred stitches and minus part of her liver, part of a breast and kidney after she was shot by the british army for being in a stolen car.

having a gun pointed at me when I was 16 in my work and being told by the UVF to close the shop or risk being shot.

Having to watch my mum loose her hearing for a while after an IRA bomb went off outside her work

Listening to a friend discribe what it was like to watch two men shoot his dad in the face and what brains look like.

Having to watch my mums boyfriend wake up screaming after what he saw at the Omagh bomb( he is a paramedic) the descriptions of burnt flesh and body parts flowing down a hill with the water from a bust pipe will stay with me forever as well.

Due to having family in the cops.we still have a IRA threat on my family. awesome.

Janer. please stay the fuck away from ever meeting me. you appear to be a total cock who simply wears a T shirt ( like your Hamas one) as you are unable to look at something and form an intelligent opinion on it. Brain dead slogan wearing dic.khead

I would never support any group that divides the working class and i've had family in the UVF so I know its bullshit. fuc.k them and f.uck you.

Interesting his dig at the Hamas opinion I have, it's all very well saying the world should be rosy and untainted etc but it's not, every corner of the globe there is a community being oppressed.......
So back to the original point were the Republican movement bad for the country? and if they had not exsisted how or what shape would the North be in today?

Serious non ranting answers plz

The full thread is here btw
http://www.thumped.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=40193

Why come into a politic forum if your going to be offended or disagree?

Also applies to you Sean Connery :p

Because you're stirring shit for the sake of it.

Usually I'd go "Well hey! That's our Janer!! hahaha!"and it's grand, but reading these cupla posts all I can think to say is "cop on".

Up The Ra!! yeah, that's brilliant.

Because you're stirring shit for the sake of it.

Usually I'd go "Well hey! That's our Janer!! hahaha!"and it's grand, but reading these cupla posts all I can think to say is "cop on".

Up The Ra!! yeah, that's brilliant.
Er I did not say that......

and I talkshite, that was funny the 2nd time :D

Why come into a politic forum if your going to be offended or disagree?

I have to agree. Some of the responses to the question posed here are childish to say the least. I sometimes feel that Janer posts in such a way as to leave him open to charges of shit-stirring, i.e. he can be vague and open-ended in his posts but nonetheless I reckon that his opinions are sincerely held (most of the time!) and thats why he posts on topics (in politics, at least) that he is interested in. I don't agree with him a lot of the time but surely we can do better that "shut the fuck up" type replies.
So, were the Republican Movement wrong..." etc. C'mon, lets have it....
!baggyyyy !baggyyyy !baggyyyy

I have to agree. Some of the responses to the question posed here are childish to say the least. I sometimes feel that Janer posts in such a way as to leave him open to charges of shit-stirring, i.e. he can be vague and open-ended in his posts but nonetheless I reckon that his opinions are sincerely held (most of the time!) and thats why he posts on topics (in politics, at least) that he is interested in. I don't agree with him a lot of the time but surely we can do better that "shut the fuck up" type replies.

I didn't realise your social worker posts here too Janer.
:p

Most Punks from the North are totally anti-IRA and get all worked up if someone mentions them in a nicer then nice way.

Similarly most punks in the North are also similarly anti-UVF/UDA/RUC/PSNI/British Army/suchlike.

So back to the original point were the Republican movement bad for the country? and if they had not exsisted how or what shape would the North be in today?

There is a distinction to be made between the IRA and the Republican movement: the violent methods of the paramilitary groups on both sides acted as obstacles to change, rather than as accelerants.

What form did your support for the pre-98 IRA take?

sigh

What didn't you understand about what yerman said in the Eirecore thread?

Interesting his dig at the Hamas opinion I have, it's all very well saying the world should be rosy and untainted etc but it's not, every corner of the globe there is a community being oppressed.......
And?

So back to the original point were the Republican movement bad for the country?
If by "Republican movement" you mean "provisional IRA", then yes, of course it was. politicians always wanted to talk, but they couldn't do it when there was "the gun in Irish poltics"
If by "Republican movement" you mean "republican movement-sans violence" then no, of course it wasn't.

and if they had not exsisted how or what shape would the North be in today?

You need to sort out the first question before anyone can answer the second one.

If by "Republican movement" you mean "provisional IRA", then yes, of course it was. politicians always wanted to talk, but they couldn't do it when there was "the gun in Irish poltics"
If by "Republican movement" you mean "republican movement-sans violence" then no, of course it wasn't.

You seem a little confused. The same politicians on the republican side who always wanted to talk and who spearheaded the talks leading up to the "peace process" were also key members of the Army Council of the Provisionals. You seem to be making out that the Shinners and the Provos are entirely different entities. If you believe that what came out of the political negotiations was a positive thing then surely you have to credit the role that the Provos played in paving the way towards that.

You need to sort out the first question before anyone can answer the second one.

Indeed.

You seem to have misplaced a quote tag there. I'm not sure what's going on

Yep. I fucked up. Was just curious as to the distinction you make between violent and non-violent republicanism when you are talking about the Republican Movement. I could be reading you wrong but it seems like you see SF and the IRA as two completely seperate entities (for the purposes of their role in the peace process, at least). Would be interested in clarification.

You seem a little confused. The same politicians on the republican side who always wanted to talk and who spearheaded the talks leading up to the "peace process" were also key members of the Army Council of the Provisionals. You seem to be making out that the Shinners and the Provos are entirely different entities.
Not my intention. What made them change their minds?
If you believe that what came out of the political negotiations was a positive thing then surely you have to credit the role that the Provos played in paving the way towards that.
no.
Like the other guy said, the provo's, and the violence in general, were obstacles to talk/peace/blah de blah. I realise the sinn fein/provo connection. I don't think the fact that they had two jobs within Republicanism mean's anything except that it would have been near impossible to negotiate with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back