When People Do Nice things for You (1 Viewer)

Jim Daniels

Burls Forever
Supporter
Since 2000
Website
twitter.com
A few weeks ago, an Italian couple stopped me in Temple Bar looking for directions to Mount Herbert Hotel in Ballsbridge. They were straight from the Airport and looked tourist-wrecked. It was too hard to give actual directions, so I jumped in their rental car with them and showed them the way.

Yesterday, a lovely tin of speciality Italian biscuits and chocolates arrived in the post as a thank-you. They knew where I worked cause we passed my office on the way to the hotel....:)

i lost a phone on a beach once, was lost for about 3 weeks in the sand and rain, some little girl found it, still working and with battery and rang "mum" in the phone book, and later posted it back to me. being the cheap fuck that i am, i posted her a fiver with a note saying "honesty pays". my guess is she's turned to a life of crime and crack now....

At first glance I thought the thread was called white people do nice things for you, fairplay though Jim. The other day a bloke asked me for a light so I asked him for a smoke and got one. Result.

I think I posted this before, but it totally belongs in this thread.

The morning of my wedding, my cousin and I were booked in to go to the hairdresser at around 8am. She was staying in a hotel, so she left from there and came to collect me from where we were staying.

The guy dropped us up at the place, and he even got out to ring the buzzer for us. We asked him if we could take his card and ring him when we were done since there weren't many taxis around at that hour, and it was a rugby weekend, so he gave Gina his number and said he'd come back for us in about an hour anyway.

About an hour later, we're finishing up our 'dos and this guy rings the buzzer and then comes up into the hairdressers' place, wearing a suit, carrying a pair of fancy shoes, a bottle of champagne and a picnic thingy.

We didn't recognise him and weren't sure what was going on -- then it clicked. The guy had gone and put on a fancy suit and got some bubbly and even had CHAMPAGNE GLASSES in his picnic thing. PLUS, he'd overheard us talking about not having shoes (he'd thought it was me, but it was actually my friend Laurie, whose bags had not made it from LA), so he FOUND SOME SHOES (I think maybe the Shelbourne lost and found or something?) and brought them.

ALSO, he had gone back to his house and got the 'good' Merc, which was freshly washed with the taxi sign thingy removed.

THEN! He drove us back to Eustace Street and then INSISTED that he be allowed to chauffeur some of the gang to the church. He tried to refuse money for any of this, by the way. He just really loves weddings.

So he drove my mother and my cousin to the church, and as we're all going up for communion, it turned out he actually came to the service as well. THEN, he insisted on making sure everyone was properly ferried to the reception. AND THEN he insisted on chauffering my parents to the airport three days later and would not take a penny. (Although we were all shoving notes into his pocket, his refusal of money did not seem at all like a reverse-psychology ploy to get lots of cash.)

Turns out, he got married in Rome, and so many of his guests got lost or misled on the way to the church and the reception that he just wanted to make sure that everyone made it to where they were going. We tried to invite him to the reception and stuff, but he was booked for rugby people in the afternoon.

I really have to write that letter to the Taxi folks just to point out that this guy totally rules. He wasn't creepy or anything, just this lovely dude who thinks weddings are great and loves his job.

Seriously, I get weepy just thinking about it. My cousin has his card, I think. I should make sure that I give his number to people.

It was just one of those really rare and totally genuine overwhelming acts of generosity that kinda makes you feel good about the world.

It's corny, but I'm a pretty firm believer in paying it forward. Even little things. Like people are afraid to do nice things sometimes for fear of coming off as creepy. But 99% of the time, it makes people feel happy, and there's a good chance that some of them will pass that on. GAWD, I feel like a hippie now.

PS: Oh yeah, and every time we turned around, it seemed he was handing someone yet another bottle of champagne. I think he had a case of it in the boot of the Merc.

one morning years ago i found my neighbours wallet as i was walking to work so i put it in my bag intending to give it to him on the way home. it had his cards and a fifty pound note. i kept forgetting to give it to him though so after a while i figured i'd just keep the money and throw the wallet in the bushes which is exactly what i did. sure i used only earn 60 pounds a week in them days.

one morning years ago i found my neighbours wallet as i was walking to work so i put it in my bag intending to give it to him on the way home. it had his cards and a fifty pound note. i kept forgetting to give it to him though so after a while i figured i'd just keep the money and throw the wallet in the bushes which is exactly what i did. sure i used only earn 60 pounds a week in them days.
Yeah i found a wallet once, kept all the money and handed the wallet into the library.
Im a prick.

I was standing outside Urban Outfitters last week smoking a cigarette and an Italian guy asked me for a light. We were both standing there, not talking, smoking away. I flicked the smoke across the road, it bounced off the road onto the pavement, off the pavement onto the road again and then off the road and into the a grill on the ground.
The guy rund over shouting and hugging me that it all came off. I was beaming for the rest of the day...

I was standing outside Urban Outfitters last week smoking a cigarette and an Italian guy asked me for a light. We were both standing there, not talking, smoking away. I flicked the smoke across the road, it bounced off the road onto the pavement, off the pavement onto the road again and then off the road and into the a grill on the ground.
The guy rund over shouting and hugging me that it all came off. I was beaming for the rest of the day...
cos why? you want man love from an eyetallion?
who wouldn't i suppose, they are buff.
dolce.jpg

anyway.

I lost my wallet on the nitelink a few years ago and didn't realize until the afternoon of the next day when my dad got a phone call from some girl asking if I lived there and saying that she had my wallet.

It turns out that she found it, looked at my ID and rang everyone on that nitelink route with the same surname as me :eek:

I met her straight away and she handed it over complete with the 70 pounds which I gave straight back to her as without her I'd have had nothing.

I lost my wallet on the nitelink a few years ago and didn't realize until the afternoon of the next day when my dad got a phone call from some girl asking if I lived there and saying that she had my wallet.

It turns out that she found it, looked at my ID and rang everyone on that nitelink route with the same surname as me :eek:

I met her straight away and she handed it over complete with the 70 pounds which I gave straight back to her as without her I'd have had nothing.

Good lord that is dedicated!

did you drop the lamh?

I love to hear stories like this - it totally reaffirms my faith in humanity.
My wallet was stolen out of my bag in the foggy dew thursday and im still a bit upset about it. I'm hoping that the thief just takes the money and throws the wallet away and that perhaps some kind hearted citizen might hand it into the guards. So if anyone spots a bright orange, fake prada wallet anywheres, its mine. Should any thumpder find it a pint will surely be yours.

Myself and Cunty were playing pool in Riga two weeks ago. 4.00am. Hammered.
Got chatting to mid 20s Latvian couple who asked us what had we seen so far. When they heard our story of booze, sleep and not much sightseeing they said 'we'll show you around tomorrow' and took our numbers. Didn't expect 'em to ring.

We checked out of the hotel at midday (with our return flight not being for another nine hours) and got a call from them saying they'd pick us up at 1.00pm. They did. Drove us out 50 miles to caves, a cool castle 17th century, some nice park place and a deadly Chinese. Wouldn't let us pay for anything. Dropped us back to the hotel in time to get coach to airport.
All they wanted was to spend time with people who spoke good English.
They took loads of photos and emailed 'em to us a couple of days later.

Sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back