wheat free/low carb diets.... (1 Viewer)

theweeyin

Website
www.myspace.com
I've got IBS and I think it's about time for a change of diet. I'd be interested in anyones recipies for wheat free meals, particularly things I could put in packed lunches for work as I usually take sandwiches and they're out in the new diet. I'm gonna try some of that wheat free pasta and I've recently started eating more fresh fish but I'm at a bit of a loss as I usually still feel hungry after having a meal that has very few carbs in it..........!cheezy

by carbs do you mean all mad Atkins vibe carbs or rice/potato/ bread carbs?

I try to avoid wheat anyway so I eat ryvita instead of bread, use gram flour instead of regular flour and for meals- vegetable pasta/ quinoa/ millet etc instead of wheat pasta or rice.

Dunno if that helps...

I can't eat wheat, either, and, as I've mentioned without being asked before, I have the digestive system of an aul wan, and there isn't much that doesn't make me feel yick.

I had IBS and gastritis when I was a teenager, and I've never really been able to eat normal food without feeling horrible. I gave up wheat about 2 1/2 years ago, when I went to the doctor because I couldn't stop puking. He told me to try cutting out/back on wheat and minimising starchy foods, and lo and I was bright-eyed and bushy-tailed almost immediately. My skin cleared up, too.

I eat a lot of fresh vegetables and loads of fruit, and while wheat is a no-no, I find oats don't bother me at all, and end up eating a lot of porridge and flapjacks. Risottos are good, and they keep fairly well, and I love cooking with coarse polenta, mixing yummy things into it and having it with roasted veg. Fish and sushi-related stuff is always easy on the belly, and tofu is good, too. I think wheat-free pasta is yick, but there are a few recipes for gnocchi that don't involve flour (some call for it, some are just potato), so when I really want pasta, I go for that. I eat oatcakes or rice cakes instead of bread, and while I frequently pine for a big loaf of sliced white pan, it's not that hard once you get used to it.

I've recently picked up a pretty good cookbook from the "Gluten-free gourmet" series. It's meant for coeliacs, but because a lot of coeliacs have other food intolerances, it gives a whole bunch of variations for each recipe. The best thing about it, though, is that it explains the properties of ingredients (various flours, gum-based binding stuff, etc) so that you can figure out for yourself how to do substitutions in regular recipes.

Whenever I post recipes, they're usually pretty much wheat-free, and I'll try to think of some and post more soon.

Wormo said:
by carbs do you mean all mad Atkins vibe carbs or rice/potato/ bread carbs?

I try to avoid wheat anyway so I eat ryvita instead of bread, use gram flour instead of regular flour and for meals- vegetable pasta/ quinoa/ millet etc instead of wheat pasta or rice.

Dunno if that helps...

quinoa is brilliant, i only discovered it quite recently. it's super nutritious and has a nice nutty taste and bobbly texture. you can use it like rice, or i've made a great salad with it - cooked, then dressed with lime juice, olive oil, and parsley. might be good for a packed lunch, especially if you added more veggies or whatever.

damn, now i'm hungry.

jane said:
I can't eat wheat, either, and, as I've mentioned without being asked before, I have the digestive system of an aul wan, and there isn't much that doesn't make me feel yick.

I had IBS and gastritis when I was a teenager, and I've never really been able to eat normal food without feeling horrible. I gave up wheat about 2 1/2 years ago, when I went to the doctor because I couldn't stop puking. He told me to try cutting out/back on wheat and minimising starchy foods, and lo and I was bright-eyed and bushy-tailed almost immediately. My skin cleared up, too.

I eat a lot of fresh vegetables and loads of fruit, and while wheat is a no-no, I find oats don't bother me at all, and end up eating a lot of porridge and flapjacks. Risottos are good, and they keep fairly well, and I love cooking with coarse polenta, mixing yummy things into it and having it with roasted veg. Fish and sushi-related stuff is always easy on the belly, and tofu is good, too. I think wheat-free pasta is yick, but there are a few recipes for gnocchi that don't involve flour (some call for it, some are just potato), so when I really want pasta, I go for that. I eat oatcakes or rice cakes instead of bread, and while I frequently pine for a big loaf of sliced white pan, it's not that hard once you get used to it.

I've recently picked up a pretty good cookbook from the "Gluten-free gourmet" series. It's meant for coeliacs, but because a lot of coeliacs have other food intolerances, it gives a whole bunch of variations for each recipe. The best thing about it, though, is that it explains the properties of ingredients (various flours, gum-based binding stuff, etc) so that you can figure out for yourself how to do substitutions in regular recipes.

Whenever I post recipes, they're usually pretty much wheat-free, and I'll try to think of some and post more soon.

How do you cope with that when you're on holiday? It must make eating out nearly impossible?

theweeyin said:
How do you cope with that when you're on holiday? It must make eating out nearly impossible?

It's challenging, for sure, especially being mostly veggie. I just have my staple foods that seem to be okay, and miraculously, I don't have a problem with cheese or ice cream, which means there's usually something that I absolutely love. I also started eating fish so that I wouldn't end up being one of those people that can't eat anywhere.

I haven't had too much problem, as apart from my hatred of mushrooms, I like a lot of stuff, I'm more than happy with non-fungus vegetables, and I'm not that bothered about creatively pairing up starters and sides to make a meal. Dublin isn't actually that hard, and the west of Ireland, which has a huge proportion of coeliacs (I think it's the highest proportion in Europe), is pretty easy, too. When I was in Killarney last month, they were not only accommodating, they didn't make a big deal out of it, so I didn't feel all funny and obnoxious asking for stuff that wasn't on the set menu they were offering. I do end up eating a hell of a lot of salmon, though, which is my least favourite kind of fish. On one trip, I ended up with salmon four nights in a row, which was three nights too many. And if there's something that has some wheat in it, and I really can't live without it, I'm just very careful about everything else I eat. I'm not averse to having a cannoli for lunch if it means it won't bother my tummy too much and I still get my fix. I haven't had to cut it out entirely because only coeliacs really have to do that, but I do avoid it as much as possible.

I ate brilliantly in both Paris and Rome last year, which was a bit of a surprise, considering that wheat products are big staples of the French and Italian diets. I never, ever went anything like hungry, and had some of the yummiest fish ever prepared by human kind, and generally ate so much that if I told you how much, you'd be ashamed even to know such a glutton on the internet. I always think that lunch in Dublin is tough, what with the predominance of the sandwich joint, but it's not actually that hard, especially if you like salads.

I also almost always bring food with me when I travel, and I usually go to a shop and pick up a few things, and I'll bring something with me during the day, in case there's no way to find enough lunch options to satisfy. I feel so much better physically that I don't often mind the extra effort, and when I do break down and eat a big slab of bread, I always regret it, a sometimes necessary reminder about why making the effort is worth it.

What it's actually made me do is become more creative in my cooking, and try new kinds of foods. I get a sense of accomplishment if I cook a huge veggie and wheat-free feast and realise that even those who live on hang sangitches don't seem to miss anything. Last weekend, I did a wheat-free moussaka (bechamel sauce calls for plain flour, but cornflour works totally fine), beetroot, spinach and sesame salad, chocolate chocolate chip cookies with walnuts, and I put out cheese, oatcakes, and garlic-stuffed olives for nibbles. The feast before that was nachos, black bean chili, cornbread, and brownies with lemon cheesecake icecream (which I tried to make homemade, but it doesn't come out quite right without an ice-cream maker).

I reckon there are a lot more people out there who are suffering from intolerance to wheat, but haven't ever realised it. I still don't know what the deal is, but I do know that cutting it out has made a huge difference. It also may be related to anxiety, I think, or at least being less sluggish all the time has helped a bit. At least it stopped me from retching all the damn time.

I've been making bread with spelt flour and it's very nice. Same texture as wheat but a slightly nutty flavour.

You can use any bread recipe but if you're making yeast bread bear in mind it proves and rises quicker than wheat bread. Makes nice soda bread...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back