What's wrong with just Scouts Honour? (1 Viewer)

Which is the best promise?

• Jesus and his Church

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just God

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Spiritual Reality

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters

LMD64

Website
www.lmd64.com
This is on the front of the Irish Times today. Cubs and Brownies are going all multi-demoninational.

A) Current Scout Promise:
On my honour, and with the help of God, I promise to do my best, to be true to my faith in Jesus Christ, serve my community, and live by the Scout Law.
(God and Jesus may be replaced by words appropriate to other religions)

B) Proposed New Promise:
On my honour I promise to do my best, to do my duty to God, to serve my community, and live by the Scout Law.

C) Proposed Promise for those who do not wish to swear to God:
On my honour I promise to do my best to further my understanding and acceptance of a Spiritual Reality, to serve my community, to help other people, and live by the Scout Law.

Which do you reckon is best?

as a former scout leader (ahem), i was never too happy about the inclusion of references to a god in the promise. ok, yes, the cbsi (catholic boy scouts of ireland) there was a lot of holy tootin', but as far as i remember the csi joined with the cbsi a few years ago, so there would have been some sort of crossover. despite the fact that i've not been to a meeting in 3 years i'm glad that it is becoming multidenominational though.

silo was in the scouts as well.

*left handshake*

wurd.

yep, i was in the dollymount one meself. hated it at the time with the fury of a woman scorned, for some reason. can't remember what division number we were. 57th? 59th? ah those halcyon days...

and the woggles? d'ya remember the woggles?

I got thrown out of the cub scouts. For 'messin'. Twas very unfair, I was a mild-mannered, good-as-gold kid, and the rest of the cubs were delinquent townies ... just didn't fit in, I guess. I still remember being inconsolable, but my da, who regards the scouts as ... well, sort of an English version of Hitler Youth, was over the moon

Originally posted by egg_
I got thrown out of the cub scouts. For 'messin'. Twas very unfair, I was a mild-mannered, good-as-gold kid, and the rest of the cubs were delinquent townies ... just didn't fit in, I guess. I still remember being inconsolable, but my da, who regards the scouts as ... well, sort of an English version of Hitler Youth, was over the moon

your dad sounds nice.

Seeing as everyone is bumping up old threads.. how about this one? It's got a poll and everything!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back