what's with folk releasing stuff on cassette? (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter mark
  • Start date
  • Replies 122
  • Views 14K
  • Watchers 8
lots of reasons. they have more longevity than cds. they can be storerd loose and no get fucked straight away. they can be fixed if they do get a bit fucked. lots of people still have tape players. it's easy and cheap to get cool coloured ones. some people just think they are cool, and always have done.

obviously vinyl is preferred, but if you want to do a a small run of something for cheap and have the choice of tape or cd-r, which would you choose? cd-rs suck balls and last about five minutes.

If you don't like it, don't buy it. Simple as that.

Comply Or Die have released a split cassette with Slomatics simply because it was cheap, it was a bit of fun to do, the track will be included on a CD that we can't afford to put out just now, and a download option is included too. Some people have bought them as they have no cd player in their car, have an old seperate system in the house to play their old demo collections on, and shocking as it may seem not everyone has an ipod.

Oh, and because we couldn't afford the risk of potentially losing money on a vinyl release just yet.

same goes for any physical release

dunno. id rather have something physical that i can actually play on a machine

If you don't like it, don't buy it. Simple as that.

Comply Or Die have released a split cassette with Slomatics simply because it was cheap, it was a bit of fun to do, the track will be included on a CD that we can't afford to put out just now, and a download option is included too. Some people have bought them as they have no cd player in their car, have an old seperate system in the house to play their old demo collections on, and shocking as it may seem not everyone has an ipod.

Oh, and because we couldn't afford the risk of potentially losing money on a vinyl release just yet.

fair enough. i just wouldnt bother buying a cassette release because itd just end up in some drawer unplayed.

maybe if i owned a cassette player id feel differently but i dont and i know shitloads of other people that dont either. CD players are everywhere. even in old cars a tape player can be converted to a cd player/ mp3 player with one of those cheapo tape adaptor jobbies. could never do vice versa

dunno. id rather have something physical that i can actually play on a machine

fair enough. i just wouldnt bother buying a cassette release because itd just end up in some drawer unplayed.

maybe if i owned a cassette player id feel differently but i dont and i know shitloads of other people that dont either. CD players are everywhere. even in old cars a tape player can be converted to a cd player/ mp3 player with one of those cheapo tape adaptor jobbies. could never do vice versa

I'd say more people have a shitty tape deck hanging around the gaff than
a record player. Think there are three dispersed around our house.
Having said that I only bought a tape recently 'cause a friend released in that format.
Don't most people jsut throw everything onto their mp3 players? we've had the same cd
in the downstairs stereo for weeks...

personally I can see the appeal of tape
my great uncle was a huge audio buff back in the 50's/60's,he used to buy records and then record his favourite tracks onto a reel 2 reel recorder to make giant mix-tapes for parties! he'd be cutting tracks together with a razor-blade and tape,maybe it's my inner hipster coming to the surface but I love the tactile,pure fucking D.I.Y-ness of it! I know if I'd been around then I'd have been one of those guys splicing mixtapes and chilling on me giant beanbag listening to my Valve Hi-Fi...
obviously cassettes took the need for that work away,and made giving your mates mixes easier
but with a 90 minute tape you had to put in some serious thought as to which tunes you passed on to your mates

we were given a 1TB hard drive a while back and I think I've listened to about 10 albums off it;too much choice and not enough time to sift through it all

what's happened to the great stories of queuing for albums on the day they came out in the 60's and 70's?,back when an album launch was an event even family folklore comes into it,like my uncle's & aunts scratching my uncle Paul's vinyls when he was in work and he went fucking mental!
he died just after I was born but we still have his old Lizzy Vinyls at home that I love to take out and look at the artwork,it's a physical link to the past
hitting right click-save as just doesn't seem like as cool a story to be passing to the kids in decades to come

sorry that was possibly the most waffly post Ive ever made on thumped

In the future kids won't understand the horror of ringing your your ladies gaf and having to talk to their auldfella for a few seconds while she comes to the phone, all the while hearing her siblings in the background ripping the piss.

Good times.

I wish I had that shit on tape. Not Mp3. Tape.

When I was in school there was this ancient (smelly) Christian Brother and he used to get the year wrong. I remember thinking how mental that was. Now I understand completely how someone could think it was only 2009 or 1997 for that matter. Time eh?

Cassettes almost killed vinyl.

For that reason alone. SAY NO.

I really like that point, but i would say cassette was the first practical portable format that broke the market - although the first one thats actually worth buying I think is flash drive based stuff with upgradable software. Vynil never addressed portability.

cassette was the first practical portable format that broke the market

img_8680-500x333.jpg

yes pete i know about those. how about you go for a cycle with one and then write a review when you come to.

nggggllbth, have you got 8-tracks??? i've never used them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back