Whats better for live Drum machines or backing tracks? (1 Viewer)

Speed Racer said:
Due to every drummer who's ever come through our door being shit, or having shit taste, or being a lead drummer (except for one Excellent Session drummer), I've had to programme our own beats on computer using grea drum samples and ACID/Sound forge/fruity loops. But I need to know whats the best way to play along to this live? Minidisc or laptop or something?
a laptop would be fine, but you'd need to be constantly clicking on and off songs and generally looking after it unless you had someone dedicated to the machine. it more usable than a minidisc, which might be smaller and cheaper, but you'd have to record everything onto the discs and its smaller controls could be messy.
have you though about controlling a drum machine through a food pedal?

y'know theres lots of good drummers around town, you shouldn't give up on that because you've had bad experiences with 'shit' drummers.

wahayyyyy!!!!!... drum machines are fooking bosss, long as ya dont want them just to sound like drums...... big black / the cure / nearly all warped and rephlex / arab strap / carter / Stig..... all insainly original and classic.....

prove point: http://usagi102.tripod.com/sooc/mp3s.htm
listen to stig.. then tell me drum machines aint foooking cool... stops/starts to hard.... my fukking arse.......

A laptop is your better choice, followed by a drum machine (even though it's harder to program) and....... a tape deck!

Minidisks and CDs are no use because they skip

This said, we stopped using backing tracks because something would always go wrong :)

Thanks for the comments lads. I've got me laptop upgraded. Thats the way it'll go me thinks. In our experience the standard of drumming out there ain't the best. Really. And their taste is usually bog standard rock. I know there's some excellent drummers in Dublin, they're just hard to find.

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back