What was your first computer? (2 Viewers)

Had one of these bad boys!
oric-1.jpg

Along with
Atari 2600
Atari 4800
zx specy
c64
atari 1040ste
amiga
master system
nes
mega drive
snes
gba
ds
atari lynx
ps1
ps2
xbox
xbox360

and yes i have no life!!

pete said:
Starting in 1982:
zx81
vic20
c64
x
x
amiga500

Snap :)
I remember I got the Vic 20 a few months before the C64 came out. As soon as I saw the C64 I wanted to bin the vic20 much to my parents disgust.

I had a ZX81 with the 16K ram pack. The day I got it I set it up on the kitchen counter and typed in 5 pages worth of a game called 'Pyramids of Mars' from Computer & Video Games.
3 hours later and a couple of lines from the end of the code - my mother moved the ZX when cleaning, the ram pack wobbled and I lost everything.
The memory (no pun intended) still haunts me to this day.

I typed the game in safely a few days later. It was shit :D

aoboa said:
I remember I got the Vic 20 a few months before the C64 came out. As soon as I saw the C64 I wanted to bin the vic20 much to my parents disgust.

I had a ZX81 with the 16K ram pack. The day I got it I set it up on the kitchen counter and typed in 5 pages worth of a game called 'Pyramids of Mars' from Computer & Video Games.
3 hours later and a couple of lines from the end of the code - my mother moved the ZX when cleaning, the ram pack wobbled and I lost everything.

i think i still have that edition of C&VG in me ma's house. probably have the one with dudley's letter complaining they didn't print an MSX feature he was expecting too....

pete said:
beep
shoot
explode

what was the other one?

edit:
Zap
Ping
Shoot
Explode

Amazing.

You really do know too much ha ha! oh memories (still have it by the way!)

aoboa said:

- Got a ZX81 with 16K RAM pack. Games purchased on the same day were Backgammon and Fantasy Games [Perilous Swamp + Sorcerers Island]. Notoriously tricky to save and load games. I used type in a game, play it for a few days until I got sick of it then unplug the computer as the RAM pack was at boiling point.
Flogged it 12 months later for £150. Game miraculously loaded when demonstrating it to prospective purchaser.

- Got a ZX Spectrum 48K with eight free games from Finn's Photographic in Waterford. The games were Chess, Backgammon, Reversi, Chequered Flag, Flight Simulation, PSSST, Cookie and Jetpac. Had many hours of typing in games from ZX Computing. Had a similar type disaster to aoboa when typing in an adventure game with my neighbour. It was July 1985 and the game was The Golden Chalice. It was so long that it was printed over two issues of ZX Computing. A powercut foiled us halfway through the second part. Soul destroying.

Football Manager was an ace game for the Spectrum. ULTIMATE PLAY THE GAME was the best label. Soft Aid sucked.

Entering machine code was a bitch.

Computer part-works purchased and completed:

The Home Computer Course (1984)
Input (1986)

Various mates had Vic 20, Oric 1, Commodore 64, BBC Micro and Dragon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back